Arrangement question: how do you transition from a strong chorus into the 2nd verse ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've often no problem in setting a chorus up and ramping into it.
More my problem is ramping down into the 2nd verse.

What techniques do you use to transition from a strong loud chorus into the 2nd verse.
A downlifter? Bar of silence?

ps: my chorus ends on C Major chord. The verse starts with a G chord.
The song is in the key of C Maj.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Both good, send something to longer verb and delay or get effects you have on elements more obvious, than leave a bar to fade out a little, energy will sustain and than just continue, obviously you can lead to it with sound fx, both of that stuff just work 9/10 times for me.

wicked guitar solo :harp:

Donno if it may work with you, but I've done something like this in my songs. In the last vocal bar of the chorus, I just try to bring down the energy slowly (only the last bar) by either removing the lead or making lot of alterations in the melody for that one bar and also use a downlifter. And then just transition into a couple bars of chords or guitar solo with the first chord/note of the solo slowly coming in in the last bar of the chorus. If you're interested in this idea and want more details, just pm me so I can explain it in a more understandable way.

kavin2134 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:27 pm Donno if it may work with you, but I've done something like this in my songs. In the last vocal bar of the chorus, I just try to bring down the energy slowly (only the last bar) by either removing the lead or making lot of alterations in the melody for that one bar and also use a downlifter. And then just transition into a couple bars of chords or guitar solo with the first chord/note of the solo slowly coming in in the last bar of the chorus. If you're interested in this idea and want more details, just pm me so I can explain it in a more understandable way.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll give those ideas a try.
@djboom, thanks, I do have Orangetree guitars so a slick solo is not out of the question!
@PassingBye, I'll give that reverb/delay trick a try too.

Write a bridge.

Overlap the chorus vocal with the start of the verse. Let the dynamics remain as they are but let the chorus vocal sustain slightly longer.

go back to the intro. make it shorter this time. then verse 2 etc.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I like transitions that go from loud chorus build up to very quiet verse. Big dynamic differences between chorus and verse are usually great. You might try a lingering guitar note/chord or vocal that trails into the beginning of the verse. Another idea: during the last bar of the chorus, mute all intruments except for one and have that instrument do a fill into the verse (drums, guitar, bass even). Of course, end the chorus with a drum kick/crash that lingers into the verse (you probably already have that though right?).

crash cymbal

thanks everyone for the contributions..
in the end I went for a bar inbetween chorus and verse, and in that bar I put a pitchdown bass, and downlifter and a little drum fill. Worked ok.
& @mbloom, I think I left something linger in a reverb too.

Return to “Production Techniques”