Software which generates a headphones compensation curve personalised for your specific hearing?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KleinAberFein
KVRer
21 posts since 22 Mar, 2020

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi!

I've realized that even if I use things like Sonarworks or Morphit, there will still be the problem that my ears aren't neutral.

And by using something like Neutralizer on my phone, or the MIY app of Beyerdynamics (which works in a very similar way to Neutralizer) I've confirmed that my ears definitely have a dip in the highs and that I might end putting too much highs in my mixes if I don't have some kind of personalised sound ID compensating for that.

Do you know any which can do that on windows, systemic or plugin?
My preferred genre, Ethnic EDM, aka Oriental Techno:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3fVKm ... z7KIOLyFYw

Clearscreen
KVRist
187 posts since 11 Jul, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Software which generates a headphones compensation curve personalised for your specific hearing?

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:44 pm

Have you seen [url]Nuraphones[/https://www.nuraphone.com]?

Michael L
KVRAF
3115 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from The End of The World as We Knowit

Re: Software which generates a headphones compensation curve personalised for your specific hearing?

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 pm

You can customize Morphit curves to match your phones + ears. Get a hearing test to see your EarQ.
MuLab goes with The Flows...

nonstatic
KVRist
119 posts since 7 Nov, 2002

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 pm

There's this, but it only works for Audeze headphones. https://embody.co/audeze-reveal-plus

I'm skeptical of the effectiveness because it only uses the photo of the right ear. My inner left ear is significantly smaller than my right (I have to use different sizes of in-ear monitors for each side).

KleinAberFein
KVRer

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:42 am

Is there no multi-quote here?

@clearscreen, yes, I've been thinking about it, but I feel extremely uncomfortable with things sticking in my ears.
And I've read they are all but neutral. So I'm not sure how they use the test they make, but apparently not to generate a super neutral curve.
After all they're aimed to consumers.

@Michael, could you tell me more about this test and the EarQ? Where do I do that? How does it work?

@nonstatic yes, I know, because my headphones of choice at the moment is the Mobius, so I've seen that (mostly because in Google play they call it Audeze HQ, which is a confusing choice, because that's the name of the software they use for the mobius in windows).
The mobius are not supported.
And yes, I have the same feeling about "seriously? Nuraphone spent years developing something with expensive Nasa nano microphones, and you want me to believe you can do that from a picture of only one ear taken by myself with my crappy smartphone?".

Sonarworks now have SoundID.
It's in Android but apparently you can take the test to the Reference software.
I think it's based on statistical studies more than on a test on your physical ears. But I'm not sure.
And they don't support the mobius anyway. Only Morphit does.
Btw in Android Morphit is only available as an in-app purchase from their USB player and it only works withing the player. They told me "we don't think it's possible to make a system wide app in Android".
Well. Almost every free EQ is system wide.
Neutralizer is system wide.
MIY app is system wide.
I wonder what's the real story behind this choice.
But that's another topic...

mabian
KVRAF
1667 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 am

Best solution ever: use reference tracks. No need for any other compensation tool, let your ears - and brain - compare :)

- Mario

andymcbain
KVRist
294 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:35 am

Clearscreen wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:44 pm
Have you seen [url]Nuraphones[/https://www.nuraphone.com]?
These are useful for referencing (exceptionally good for monitoring low end, incidentally) and definitely compensate for some of my high end hearing loss. But the resulting sound is still very coloured and I wouldn't want to attempt a full mix through them.

Michael L
KVRAF
3115 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from The End of The World as We Knowit

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:31 am

Use this online hearing test to get a graphic eq curve that includes your headphones and soundcard: https://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html
Take this test using your normal headphones and draw that 'curve' in Morphit, in the Morph>Custom window using the Studio Reference (flat) headphone setting, Gain at 0. Tip: you can better match the curve if you make the Morphit window very wide.

You can also get a free professional hearing test on just your ears at a shop that sells hearing aids. They should give you the frequency response curve of your own ears.
MuLab goes with The Flows...

KleinAberFein
KVRer

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:02 am

Thank you Michael, that was amazingly useful.

Sonarworks
KVRer
5 posts since 2 Apr, 2014

Post Tue May 05, 2020 3:58 am

Now SoundID has been updated - it's optimizing for calibration (flat), your unique hearing and sound preference. The mobile app (SoundID) is for your profile creation only. But last week SoundID Listen was launched - desktop application that brings personalized sound to anyone listening to their headphones on Mac or Windows. It's now 60 days free https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid/listen
Sonarworks. Full confidence in sound.

melantronica
KVRer
3 posts since 20 Mar, 2020

Post Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 am

You should try to avoid compensating loss of hearing or unnatural ears. If you are lacking frequencies, you might destroy even more if you mask that. As already mentioned here, learn to live around it and work with reference tracks.

Nevel
KVRer
8 posts since 4 May, 2020 from Rome, Italy

Post Sun May 10, 2020 9:28 am

mabian wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 am
Best solution ever: use reference tracks. No need for any other compensation tool, let your ears - and brain - compare :)

- Mario
This. I use Sonarworks Reference as a compensating tool for headphones and the Genelec system for the speakers. I love them but I think these are just a starting point. Our minds get used to what we listen to and working on a track for many hours can lead us to believe it sounds nice. My mixes become balanced and full if I’m using references.

plexuss
KVRAF
3724 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Sun May 10, 2020 11:02 am

Nevel wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:28 am
mabian wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 am

- Mario
This. I use Sonarworks Reference as a compensating tool for headphones and the Genelec system for the speakers. I love them but I think these are just a starting point. Our minds get used to what we listen to and working on a track for many hours can lead us to believe it sounds nice. My mixes become balanced and full if I’m using references.
I also agree. Trying to keep on top of the changes in one's hearing would be a lot of work. And you can't control for other people's hearing. It's all about getting an average that sounds good. For the amount of effort involved, I think the net reward is optimized using reference tracks and monitoring on multiple sources to achieve a good sounding average. As added effort and to push things a little further I use a monitor reference processing system and individually calibrated and corrected headphones.

I suppose it would be useful to have the perceieved frequency response of your own individual hearing. But I question how accurate that can be - does anyone know, specifically, how accurate your percieved hearing response can be measured if at all? And, how useful would this be as a reference for compensation in audio? :phones:

ilikemydaw
KVRer
6 posts since 10 May, 2020

Post Sun May 10, 2020 1:49 pm

The best answer is probably really expensive. I do it by making one or two base mixes which I reuse and I make them with a reference track similar to the sound I am going for.

acousticglue
KVRian
895 posts since 27 May, 2008

Post Sun May 10, 2020 2:51 pm

Send to Mastering House? Ha

Return to “Effects”