Percussive plucks

How to make that sound...
LuckyAN
KVRer
9 posts since 8 Apr, 2020

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:25 pm

How do you make them?

I've been trying to remake this sound https://youtu.be/h4Fx1KTaGx4?t=13

I tried doing it several different ways, but it never sounded anything close to that.
I tried using sines/squares/triangles, automating their pitch and cutoff to make the percuss, but didn't sound correct.
I also tried using percussions and pitching them, but they sound hollower.

https://soundcloud.com/luckyanmusic/end-of-time-v7 This is the last version of the pluck I've tried to remake, and as you can hear it sounds really bad.

I tried looking for tutorials on the internet, but none mentions anything about making plucks out of percussions, and I probably messed up something.

CHOOS
KVRist
478 posts since 3 Nov, 2010

Re: Percussive plucks

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:37 pm

There's no pitch automation. I thought there would be too but it's just a square

https://vimeo.com/405625145

LuckyAN
KVRer
9 posts since 8 Apr, 2020

Re: Percussive plucks

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:43 am

CHOOS wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:37 pm
There's no pitch automation. I thought there would be too but it's just a square

https://vimeo.com/405625145
Wow thank you man!

CHOOS
KVRist
478 posts since 3 Nov, 2010

Re: Percussive plucks

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:45 am

No Problem

LuckyAN
KVRer
9 posts since 8 Apr, 2020

Re: Percussive plucks

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:46 am

I've come up with it after tweaking it a little.

https://soundcloud.com/luckyanmusic/pluck-1

I layered the square with a couple percussions (a bell and a wooden sounding one), because the original sounds like there's a bell kind of sound at the attack of the sound.
I feel like it's way better now

CHOOS
KVRist
478 posts since 3 Nov, 2010

Re: Percussive plucks

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:30 am

yeah pretty nice
I think you highpassed it? it helps clear up the low end but sometimes makes it a little lifeless. It's a high pitch sound so there's no need to set the high-pass high.

LuckyAN
KVRer
9 posts since 8 Apr, 2020

Re: Percussive plucks

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:34 am

CHOOS wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:30 am
yeah pretty nice
I think you highpassed it? it helps clear up the low end but sometimes makes it a little lifeless. It's a high pitch sound so there's no need to set the high-pass high.
I highpassed at around 150Hz

CHOOS
KVRist
478 posts since 3 Nov, 2010

Re: Percussive plucks

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:38 am

oh well that shouldn't effect it really. either way it's pretty nice

LuckyAN
KVRer
9 posts since 8 Apr, 2020

Re: Percussive plucks

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:41 am

CHOOS wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:38 am
oh well that shouldn't effect it really. either way it's pretty nice
Oh, Will try adding a low volume layer beneath it and see how it sounds. Thanks again btw!

Return to “Sound Design”