Cherry Audio Voltage Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am somewhat surprised that nobody seems to talk about this. There is of course the long thread in the instruments-forum, but nothing at all about its FX-pendant.

I think its brilliant. I find it quite inspiring and it reminds me of Reason in a good way (In fact I think it's very similar to Reason and I assume it must have been Cherry Audio's biggest inspiration).

So far I own Core and the full PSP bundle and everything sounds great to me. Many of the Cherry Audio processors tend to be quite basic but really do what they say on the tin. The PSP ones tend to be a bit more versatile and again do exactly what they are supposed to do. The spring reverb is now my most favourite spring reverb period (and I also own the two other PSP spring emulations) and most of the others are brilliant too. For the Nitro processors this is the perfect home - much much better than the tiny hopelessly outdated N2O GUI.

What I am not a fan of is that some of the basic routing stuff requires third-party modules (M/S, multiband) and also that there's no replace function, no automatic connection attempts whatsoever, even when just making changes in the chain… that's a drag. Reason often fails here (in a WTF???-way), but at least it tries.

also right now it's a bit short on compressors, EQs, saturators.

But this is my favourite multi-effect right now. Fully modular, great sound, great GUI, theoretically unlimited expandability - sounds great, looks great, is inspiring and easy to use.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

What on earth? It's the same radio-silence there was when I mentioned it in the PSP thread… regarding it as a synth there's a lot of talk about it though - and come to think of it all the audio examples for the fx / processor (absurd distinction right there) are all synth stuff too…

people are weird. :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

If you are not 15 that's more than just a little pathetic. ;-)

Jens, I think a lot of interest in virtual modular lives within the VCV Rack community which is a free and direct competitor to Cherry Audio. There is an amazing assortment of modules there and most of them are free with some commercial albeit affordable modules available. While it doesn't integrate easily within a DAW there is a hack that allows you to stream it into a DAW using an older version dll which was discontinued. Apparently a version 2.0 is around the bend which might restore that functionality without the hack being needed.

I have Cherry Audio Ignite but I am spending more time in VCV Rack (just a noob but enjoying it) . There is some excellent Youtube content that gets you into the VCV Rack modular scene. A talented fellow named Omri Cohen whom I follow covers it very well and he is a gifted presenter with great ears. I think this might be why you are hearing crickets. Some of this potential audience is on VCV Rack.

The creamware platform which is DSP based and working on cards that are now 20 years old in some cases also has a virtual modular environment which is quite active. Many of those users are advanced from what I can tell from surfing the community at planetz .

But the VCV rack is not an effects plugin at all, or is it?

So it seems you are making my point 100%. People are unable to see that Voltage Modular is a powerful multi-fx platform/plugin too - it appears you could try to thrust that fact into them with a sledgehammer, yet all they'll ever see in it is a modular synth.

This is the effects forum though - I don't use virtual instruments normally (despite having a shitload of them) - normally I have not even a MIDI keyboard hooked up so I am really Talking about Voltage Modular here strictly as an effects plugin. As I mentioned, there is a long thread about ist synth counterpart over in the instruments forum, so people do have interest in VM,
generally speaking.

Again:

this thread is about an effects plugin where you sent audio into the plugin, then get processed audio out - that is why I started the thread here, in the "Effects" forum.

I am talking about effects such as

compressor
EQ
saturator
delay
chorus
phaser
reverb
rotary
flanger
pitch-shifter

yadda yadda

I an not talking about modular synthesis (super boring to me personally - could just as well talk about soccer or Video games to me *yawn*)

You can use VCV rack as an effect system. You have have audio inputs... midi inputs and outputs so it isn't just a synth. No sledge hammer needed. There are tons of modules available. Here is a short video with someone demonstrating a stereo delay. It is a simple example. Omri Cohen goes much deeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7anpsyWyjdU

Also here are some commercial efx modules for VCV rack. https://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/01/un ... sizer.html

If you have VCV Rack account... filter by free and put in say "compressor" you'll get numerous hits. You can find delays , reverbs, spectral processors, loopers. Most of my experiments with VCV rack have been making effect chains.

I know you want to talk about Cherry Audio so have at it.. I just wanted to point out that VCV Rack is covering a lot of that territory including effects processing applications. I'll bow out now... Continue your rant.

Oh, I didn't know that - the VCV page (almost) only shows synth modules (albeit: I have the UA algorithms in various forms and they are certainly nothing to get excited about for me personally)… so when V2 comes around (including plugin versions) you might want to start a thread about it here …

I have no desire to rant at all. I just want to generate a little more interest in the FX side of things of VM because it's a) really worthwhile and imo clearly deserving attention and b) I certainly would love to see more developers jumping aboard and developing/releasing FX modules for it. The PSP ones are just great - more of that please!

I have a bunch of modules for Voltage Modular. I can’t say that I’ve ever used it as an audio effect though. I have lots of other options when it comes to effects, so this wouldn’t be my first choice. I might use it for some sort of complex effect chain with lots of parallel processing controlled by LFOs or sequencers or something, but again, it would be competing for my attention with things like Byome. I see the PSP effects and others mainly as a convenience when building a synth patch entirely within VM.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I have Byome and never use it (because to me it honestly just doesn't sound good enough (for my personal taste))
and in my opinion VM totally pisses all over it as a modular FX plugin more or less in every regard.

I am heavily invested in the Voltage Modular platform. I took a look at VCV and it didn't resonate with me (pun intended). I wanted to get down to making music more-so mess around with software and VM offered that for me over VCV.

To jens point VM is an amazing effects processor too! I just use it. I don't have any tip/tricks or much else to say about it other than it sounds great and is easy to use with lots of cool modules. As an effects processor it's exceptionally flexible and fun to work with. :phones:

jens wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:43 pm If you are not 15 that's more than just a little pathetic. ;-)
Thank god I am exactly 15!

:party:

I use it quite a bit as an effects rack, when I'm nooding on the guitar.

soulone82 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 pm
jens wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:43 pm If you are not 15 that's more than just a little pathetic. ;-)
Thank god I am exactly 15!

:party:
And here I was thinking you were just one of these ever so common eternally immature dudes...

Return to “Effects”