Cherry Audio Voltage Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’ve been getting seriously into Reaktor over the last year.

The initial attraction for me with Reaktor was that the majority of the included blocks sound great and they compete with some of the best plugins out there. There’s also some great blocks and ensembles in the Factory and User Library

Another big plus is that you can open anything in Reaktor to see how it has been made and then edit them as you want.

Can you open up the modules in Cherry Modular to see how they’re made? Also can you create your own modules?

Yes, I was so short of purchasing Reaktor a few times already when it was 50% off... it seems it has matureed immensely over the years.

No VM isn't modular on such a low level.

To create your own modules you need to use their IDE - the "Voltage Module Designer" which is free for personal use.

https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-module-designer
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:00 pm I have Byome and never use it (because to me it honestly just doesn't sound good enough (for my personal taste))
and in my opinion VM totally pisses all over it as a modular FX plugin more or less in every regard.
Huh. Maybe I’ll give it a try then!

I was only using Byome as an example. Usually I’ll just make my own effect chains from individual plugins in Ableton. Or use Reaktor, SoundToys, my Helix Floorboard, Mod Duo X, hardware modular, etc...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Well, if you like Soundtoys then you should really give it a go, I'd say...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I have Cherry modular and really liking it. Bought the year one collection on sale, some andrew macaulay bundle, MRB, PSP collection and others. Didn't really cost me much and it is quite capable. I found it easier than most for patching something real fast. The only modules I would like to see in it would be the blamsoft ones that are in VCV rack but I would say fat chance since the author made them free in VCV so I'm guessing, there is no commercial interest there.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

I would really like to see some more compressors, saturators, EQs perhaps, one can never have enough tremolos, delays, phasers, yadda yadda...
if PSP adds more I'm totally in, but there are many other developers I would love to see
modules from - Boz, ToneBoosters, Audiority and FuseAudioLabs all for sure would be super-sweet (a man can dream, can he not?)

Yes for sure. There is still the VST plugin host that can help with some more extra fx. However, I'm not sure if some vsts can cope with audiorate modulation.

My love affair with Cherry Audio came to a quick and sudden halt, it seems.

Their webshop tries to shove a Paypal subscription down the throat of unsuspecting customers - without the option to pay without subscribing btw. …
I guess there's a first for everything.
Last edited by jens on Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ha yeah I noticed that also.

I purchased the bundles I got via a retailer, but now I wanted to get something that's not available there.
How shady of them… needless to say I cancelled the purchase...

From the instruments thread:
Hi Jens,
jens wrote: ↑Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:36 am
@Cherry Audio: Paypal subscription? You must be kidding. First time I ever saw that shady Paypal window.
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. Perhaps you were trying to activate the one-click purchasing option in Voltage Modular?

We don't have any sort of subscription to Voltage Modular.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
^ That's not a subscription, just an agreement that lets CA charge your paypal account if you ever make any purchases. Save's you from going through the checkout thing every time. Easier for them to collect your money that way. Many companies do the same.
just because there is no further comment in this thread

Dave

jens wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:42 am Their webshop tries to shove a Paypal subscription down the throat of unsuspecting customers -
That is just "Paypal Pre approved payments", so you don't need to keep logging into Paypal everytime you buy something from a site. Other sites do it (Steam for instance), it isn't underhand and at any point, you can go into Paypal and remove it, so next time you buy from them, you have to log into paypal again.
I periodically, go through my Paypal and remove companies I'm not planning on buying from soon.
It is no big deal.

dave dove wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:31 am

just because there is no further comment in this thread
I went to bed.

Either way, here's my Reply from the other thread:
pekbro wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:44 am ^ That's not a subscription, just an agreement that lets CA charge your paypal account if you ever make any purchases. Save's you from going through the checkout thing every time. Easier for them to collect your money that way. Many companies do the same.
I don't really care how you call it. In order to be able to purchase, you are forced to subscribing to a one-click payment. You don't have a choice. They don't ask. In order to purchase, you have to agree.
Also I had "remember payment method for future purchases" unticked.

This is certainly not at all an option for me. First of all, I have a sensitive touchpad (plus touchscreen) and I often browse on my phone, where it's super easy to accidentally click something while scrolling.
I all the time click stuff I don't want to click.

Then it removes the Paypal choice for the currency conversion. I live in Switzerland, where the currency is CHF, but my Swiss credit-card is in €. Paypal automatically assumes it was in CHF though
and so far I did not manage to change that. Automatically, Paypal would thus automatically convert to CHF and then my CC-provider had to do another conversion to €. Will I agree to give up this choice of mine, and for all future purchases from the Vendor too? I certainly won't.

Either way, I can not see how it could be considered okay to enforce this to the customer and without clear notice. You have to be careful (read the Paypal pop-up carefuly) or you will have subscribed. I think it's super shady. The reason seems clear to me: they don't want to make purchasing more comfortable, they instead want to increase the chance for impulse purchases. Dirrrty.
If they want to make stuff easier for their users, they can implement replace-buttons and automatic cabling for the modules in VM instead.

not subscription though
and your reasoning isn't necessarily correct
their thinking may not reflect your assumptions
Dave

jens wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:42 am Their webshop tries to shove a Paypal subscription down the throat of unsuspecting customers - without the option to pay without subscribing btw.
Utterly and completely false.
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

Return to “Effects”