"Laughing Through The Darkness"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
clueless
KVRAF
5761 posts since 10 Mar, 2003 from Music Shed #8

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:39 pm

"Laughing Through The Darkness", outtake from forthcoming album, free here.

Warning: contains real drums, guitars, and singing.

ariston
KVRAF
3623 posts since 28 Jun, 2009 from Wherever I lay my hat

Re: "Laughing Through The Darkness"

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:12 pm

I really enjoyed that song, it's got a nice, dreamy vibe and flows rather well. Minor critique would be the mix, the vocal could be more upfront and the "beef" is missing from the low end. Also, some variation from about 2:00 onward would be good to break the monotony.
Good job, though, I'm a sucker for those jangly guitars. You're a trio, is that right?

mystahr
KVRAF
7661 posts since 9 Nov, 2003 from Netherlands

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:16 am

How awfully nice to have just a screenname light up my face with a grand smile.
:waves at Southport:
Memories galore over here; good to see (and hear) you again John!

This is some comforting and quite nice soft bummer rock. I certainly don't mind some 'real' instrumentation.

Also listening to some other Dead Captain stuf; Vermillion is a really great track.
There's a bit of French romance going on in that one. Like Serge Gainsbourgh meeting Elbow.

clueless
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:46 am

ariston wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:12 pm
I really enjoyed that song, it's got a nice, dreamy vibe and flows rather well. Minor critique would be the mix, the vocal could be more upfront and the "beef" is missing from the low end. Also, some variation from about 2:00 onward would be good to break the monotony.
Good job, though, I'm a sucker for those jangly guitars. You're a trio, is that right?
Hi ariston, thanks for the feedback. The vocal level was a choice - more of a mood or texture than a lead. May have overdone it!

Bass is the bane of my mixing life. I'm demoing Sonarworks Reference right now though - no great surprise to me that my headphones are the ones they use in their own graphics... The lack of beef may also be down to the arrangement though. There's really nothing between the kick/bass and the guitars.

There are three of us. I joined last having been asked to add keys to one track - the way I've ended up in every band I've ever played in. :lol:

We own "a microphone".

Made our live debut supporting a certain semi-legendary MCR band at a certain venue in Holmfirth, fleshed out with the guys from my other band. Obviously all our gigs have been cancelled but hoping to get back on it when coronavirus says yes.

clueless
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:51 am

mystahr wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:16 am
How awfully nice to have just a screenname light up my face with a grand smile.
:waves at Southport:
Memories galore over here; good to see (and hear) you again John!

This is some comforting and quite nice soft bummer rock. I certainly don't mind some 'real' instrumentation.

Also listening to some other Dead Captain stuf; Vermillion is a really great track.
There's a bit of French romance going on in that one. Like Serge Gainsbourgh meeting Elbow.
Hello you! (waves) How are you?!

I left Southport 10 years ago. Toughest decade of my life, which is very different now, but I survive.

Many thanks for your comments - much appreciated. We've redone that track* since, and yes, I'm a Serge nut, as you know! :D

*I'll send you the new version.

Bansaw
KVRian
1093 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:07 pm

A very likeable track :tu:
Nice vocals and arrangement.
Good breakdown @2:59

Return to “Music Cafe”