Signature gear where you don't like the artist

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every once in a while, I read a review of a piece of gear which is an artist signature model, and the reviewer will go out of their way to say that the gear covers a lot of ground and should appeal to musicians outside the artist's fan base.

For example, PRS has a Mark Tremonti signature guitar. I really dislike Creed, but it does look like a decent guitar. Or I could how someone who can't stand the Grateful Dead might find a use for the Bob Weir acoustic preamp pedal.

So I was curious if there's any gear out there where you don't like the signature artist but like the signature gear.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

I don't much like Joe Satriani but I'll be interested in trying out the Tom Scholz Rockman® that's planned to be released as part of AmpliTube Joe Satriani.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Oh I had several, especially guitars.

There was the Rudi Buttas Ibanez. His band PUR was a really big deal in Germany in the 90s. Since they sang in German, the daily blast from the radio was kind of reserved for Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc. The songs aren‘t bad per se. If you can choose when and how often to hear them. Well, that wasn’t your choice in the 90s 🤪

The guitar is transparent green with gold hardware and an incredibly flat neck and fret radius. Almost like a classical guitar. I know now that it‘s ugly and kind of a freak by design but still...

Then there’s the Richie Sambora strat with those star inlays. Didn’t like Bon Jovi in the 90s, but I‘ve come around. Don’t care for the guitar anymore but it was something to obsess about back then.

Nowadays, I‘m much less exposed to music I don’t care for. So I don’t tend to dislike musicians anymore.

There’s a number of signature instruments which I totally understand why the artist wanted them this way and which make complete sense to me.

Like the Flea signature Fender Jazz Bass and the Thorsten Scholz Sandberg bass. I had the Fernandez bass for a while which Rob Trujillo Played early on in Metallica. And it does that sound perfectly. Just blend those pickups 50:50 and you’re set.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

I didn’t own it, but a friend had a Nuno Bettencourt signature guitar. Of all things, it was a Washburn, and it was pretty damn good. Wouldn’t have thought of buying it myself, but was surprised at how nice it was to play.

Why use someone else's signature gear when you can have your own?

tb3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

i like the bass vi in fiesta red, the donkey tugger signature .
but hes a thundercunt.
Last edited by vurt on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

also, its nicer purple than pink.

I really like the design of the Avril Lavigne signature guitar. But... c'mon...

imrae wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:45 pm I really like the design of the Avril Lavigne signature guitar. But... c'mon...
i didnt even know she played?

my son liked her, he was a skater, she connected with thsf audience she was fairly innocuous and cute, fine, well buy some tickets, your only 11 so your dad will have to suffer as well ..

by the time gig came around (remember when you bought tickets for that week?l shed gone through her metamorphosis to horny sex slut image.
so the whole gig, was hundreds of kids not knowing what was happening to their bodies, a load of dads trying not to look embaressed and mums covering boys eyes.
f**king weird.

still dont remember her touching a guitar.
herself, yes. definitely. guitar, who knows...

I doubt I'll be buying the Kiefer Sutherland Gibby 335. HTF did he even rate a custom Gibson?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

imrae wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:45 pm I really like the design of the Avril Lavigne signature guitar. But... c'mon...
i have the black squire single hum pup tele with the skull and cross bone inlay on the fretboard but did i buy it 'cos it was her signature model? lol... well NOPE! it was bloody cheap and a good basis of making a fine modded guitar.. but i STILL like the skull and cross bone inlay :P

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

vurt wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:09 pm my son liked her, he was a skater, she connected with thsf audience she was fairly innocuous and cute, fine, well buy some tickets, your only 11 so your dad will have to suffer as well ..

by the time gig came around (remember when you bought tickets for that week?l shed gone through her metamorphosis to horny sex slut image.
so the whole gig, was hundreds of kids not knowing what was happening to their bodies, a load of dads trying not to look embaressed and mums covering boys eyes.
f**king weird.
I’ll bet the music was still shit though.

Some of the Joe Bonamassa sigs are nice but his music... I don't actually mind JB himself.

Return to “Guitars”