PSP InfiniStrip is out ($129, requires software iLok)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PSP InfiniStrip

evilantal wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:53 am
Fleer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:21 pm :tu:

$107 at BestService.
Only if you don't pay VAT :(
Then there’s the $20 off for Easter :)

1.0.1 update.

The EQs while interesting, do unfortunately cramp, which shouldn't be a thing anymore in current year imo (e.g. Slate managed to match Fabfilter's "analog curves", which fabfilter implements with some added latency, but Slate managed to match them in zero latency fashion, thus kudos to Slate). The preamps also alias a little bit when pushed harder (they could also benefit from small output knobs, similar to those in EQ modules, for output compensation), but it's not too bad, and I liked preamps are my favorite module on this thing.

A HQ mode/OS would fix most if not all of these issues (ideally in min-phase, or maybe an option like voxengo/cytomic). Because when you load this thing on metaplugin with 4x OS, the issues disappear (I think metaplugin's OS is zero latency). The fear that I have though, is that the CPU use is already relatively high for a non-OS mode, so they would have to find way to make OS light as possible on CPU, or maybe further optimize the thing itself to consume less CPU. It's far from being the most CPU hungry plugin, but I don't think it's something that could be used on too many individual tracks (especially on a project with many VIs).

Looks like best service already pulled the intro offer as of a few hours ago. At least I can't find it nor the easter egg code. What a pain.
My attempt at creating an educational audio site along with something for my services:

http://www.fidelityrebellion.com

ViciousBliss wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:50 pm Looks like best service already pulled the intro offer as of a few hours ago. At least I can't find it nor the easter egg code. What a pain.
Easter egg code is on the "about" page : gimme20

:party:
More BPM please

ViciousBliss wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:50 pm Looks like best service already pulled the intro offer as of a few hours ago. At least I can't find it nor the easter egg code. What a pain.
Indeed. I was about to buy tonight.
i asked them about it via email and Facebook, but I'm not expecting a reply :(
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

evilantal wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:49 pm
Indeed. I was about to buy tonight.
i asked them about it via email and Facebook, but I'm not expecting a reply :(
So, they told me they ran out of serials and can't get new ones for the intro price while everyone else still has them available. Bummer...
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Do you guys think the stereo width function on this is anything special? I tried this across a few mixes and got one really right with it. I used the width tool lightly on all of them. None of my other strips have a widen function except the Neve DFC and that one is more about bleeding the two channels into each other. It can sound good, but it also can damage things. Maybe the latest Ozone Imager is enough? I need to try it.

Could be the way the width control works with the other elements that worked for me.
My attempt at creating an educational audio site along with something for my services:

http://www.fidelityrebellion.com

woodsdenis wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:58 pm Anybody else seeing knobs being very jerky and unresponsive when trying to adjust them, this happens with all knobs on all modules. CPU wise slightly more than comparable Slate version and way more than McDSP 6050. This no better or worse than the competition IMO, worth looking at if you need something like this.
I love the workflow, but also seeing a slow GUI and not being able to adjust knobs on Catalina/Ableton.

I love the workflow, but also seeing a slow GUI and not being able to adjust knobs on Catalina/Ableton
Similar issues here with Win10/Live. Vst 2 version works mostly fine but some modules the dial will just not move so I have to restart it. Vst3 version has no audible difference between modules for me and it often crashes Live so I tend not to use it. Might just pick up McDsp 6050. I haven't decided yet
Yo.

It is disappointing to see PSP prioritizing zero latency over sound quality. It shouldn't be either/or and frankly is a cop out.

Dear KVR members,

We have read all your comments and decided to answer some of your questions.

1. Are you planning to add more functionality and new modules in the future?

As with all PSP products - we keep releasing updates years after initial release of the plugin. We will never stop doing our best to improve our products and to add new customer-requested features.

We consider the PSP Infinistrip a growing tool set. You can bet that we’re not done with it yet but at the same time, we can’t promise that all future additional modules will be free forever. That said, everyone who’s been with us from the beginning (meaning 20 years and 37 products ago...) knows that we’ve always offered generous, user-friendly policies regarding paid upgrades, so stay tuned...

2. Is PSP Infinistrip more CPU hungry than other plugins?

At it’s core, PSP Infinistrip is a very optimized channel strip plug-in. However, keep in mind that when all 9 slots are filled with modules, the CPU usage of PSP Infinistrip should be compared to the CPU load of nine individual plug-ins, because each module is itself a separate, high-quality processing engine. I think you’ll find that when comparing a full complement of standalone processors, the CPU usage of PSP Infinistrip modules compares very favorably.

3. Are there any differences between well known PSP plugins (like PSP FETpressor or PSP PreQursor2) and modules with the same name in PSP Infinistrip ?

Yes. We wrote nearly all the algorithms for PSP Infinistrip from scratch, and the ideas behind well known PSP plug-ins we adapted into modules were totally re-designed. For example: when designing the preQursor module we used PSP preQursor2 as our reference, so we used the same name for the module because we felt its sound recalls the PSP preQursor2’s unique coloration and musicality. However, the PSP preQursor2 algorithm had to be rewritten so it would work similarly to, and alongside, the other equalizers of PSP Infinistrip. So, despite borrowing the name and the sound of the PSP preQursor2, the algorithm, the specific parameters and their ranges, were re-designed to fit the form of the PSP Infinistrip module as part of the entire channel strip.

4. Why ZERO LATENCY?

Designing algorithms that offer Zero Latency processing very important to use here at PSPaudioware. Many of our plugins are Zero Latency without sacrificing high quality sound processing; this is what allows our plugins to be usable in LIVE, BROADCASTING, TRACKING, or any other situation where no or little latency matters—not to mention, mixing as well, knowing that our plug-ins aren’t going to introduce any latency.

PSP oldTimerME, PSP oldTimerMB, PSP FETpressor, PSP BussPressor and many many others have been satisfying our users for years with their ZERO LATENCY feature, efficiency and great sound.

Focusing on Zero Latency also means that we have to be very judicious with our algorithm design. In some cases, there are algorithms which we cannot provide without latency; this is why, for example, you won’t find a VintageWarmer in the PSP Infinistrip—it is not a Zero Latency algorithm.

5. Why there is no oversampling in PSP Infinistrip?

High-quality oversampling algorithms are very CPU intensive. PSP Infinistrip was designed to be a lite, easy to use and universal plugin. We believe that PSP Infinistrip can find a place on every track in the mix.

We considered adding oversampling as an optional feature, but realized it end up defeating too much of what makes PSP Infinistrip unique. To give you an example of how CPU intensive oversampling is: even if you used multiple instances of PSP Infinistrip, it would still be more efficient to use a higher sample rate in the session than using additional oversampling in the algorithms.

6. What about aliasing?

In the digital world there is always some aliasing when it comes to saturation or compression - even at a 384kHz sample rate. However, at the higher sample rate we are using, the level of aliasing is lowered to the point that it’s hard to measure (it might be below -140 dBFS).

All the modules in PSP Infinistrip have been designed for the best possible performance, and don’t produce more aliasing than other PSP plugins of that kind (for example PSP OldTimer, PSP oldTimerMB, PSP FETpressor and so on). Even at 44.1kHz, in most of cases the aliasing is so low as to be effectively inaudible.

Of course, the more saturation you use - the more aliasing becomes audible. That’s why if you really hit the preamps hard, we recommend using higher sample rates.

Even with plugins like PSP E27, PSP Xenon or PSP VintageWarmer - where high quality oversampling algorithms were used - we still recommend higher sample rates if you’re going to hit the gain hard.

While we’ve used double sampling intensively in our flagship plug-ins for over 15 years, mostly for low sample rates, these days when a typical sample rate for a production is 96kHz or 192kHz, we decided that for a channel strip that can be used in live tracking situations, zero latency and a very light CPU footprint was more important than double sampling.

7. Are you considering a scalable GUI & High DPI interface?

Of course. We’re currently preparing to add Scalable GUI and High DPI support, but we don’t have a release date for you. We’ll release it once the stability of graphical engine under this potentially very heavy load meets our expectations.

8. How do you compare your PSP Infinistrip to the other strips on the market?

Well, our aim through PSP Infinistrip’s years of development was to release a channel strip we would love to share with our users. We did our best to meet this goal by providing the top of the PSP legacy sound, classic view, versatility, modern functionality and fluent workflow.

The entire frame was recreated from scratch a few times until everyone involved in the project really loved it. All algorithms where carefully crafted with ear-storms of the PSP team, our consultants, Alpha and Beta testers. Several modules where redesigned or even rewritten a few times until we agreed on the results. “It's the sound that counts!” as we say in our credo.

There are great channel strip plug-ins available, each of them is different. We do not want to compare. This is a choice of a producer to use the tool the best matching the project and ones needs.

9. Does the release of PSP Infinistrip mean that PSP is no longer making individual plug-ins?

The PSP Infinistrip contains plenty of tools which where crafted in a form best suited to being part of a high quality channel strip. On the other hand individual plug-ins are aimed and dedicated to the best possible sound, setup and flexibility, for one single purpose.

The release of the PSP Infinistrip doesn’t mean that we’ll stop releasing individual plug-ins. We decided to develop over several years a comprehensive channel strip plug-in optimized for the best quality and workflow experience whenever this sort of universal tool matter, but that doesn’t mean we’re through with individual plug-ins.

Stay at home. Be safe and healthy.
Antoni Ozynski
www.PSPaudioware.com

PS. Today PSP InfinityStrip has been updated to version 1.0.2

PSP Infinistrip version history

18 April 2020
PSP Infinistrip Mono v.1.0.2
PSP Infinistrip Stereo v.1.0.2

BUG FIXES:
1. Sometimes audio was randomly muted after loading a session - fixed,
2. Sometimes there was a loud pop after moving plugin from one insert to another (mainly Protools) which was causing compressor to bypass - fixed,
3. Minor bug fixed.

CHANGES:
1. Reduced CPU usage for PSP Infinistrip Mono
2. Added small version number under POWER BUTTON for easier version recognition
3. Manual updated

10 April 2020
PSP Infinistrip Mono v.1.0.1
PSP Infinistrip Stereo v.1.0.1

BUG FIXES:
1. Sometimes audio was randomly muted (left or right channel) - fixed,
2. Clicking "Open Manual" in PSP PresetBar was throwing an exception on Windows OS - fixed,
3. Fixed typo in COMPRESSOR's factory preset (in the lower part of the module)
4. Fixed typo in FILTERS's factory preset (in the lower part of the module)
5. Minor bug fixed.

CHANGES:
1. Added highlights for controls to improve workflow and UI readability
2. Manual updated

07 April 2020
PSP Infinistrip v.1.0.0 Initial Release

PSP wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:37 pm 5. Why there is no oversampling in PSP Infinistrip?

High-quality oversampling algorithms are very CPU intensive. PSP Infinistrip was designed to be a lite, easy to use and universal plugin. We believe that PSP Infinistrip can find a place on every track in the mix.

We considered adding oversampling as an optional feature, but realized it end up defeating too much of what makes PSP Infinistrip unique. To give you an example of how CPU intensive oversampling is: even if you used multiple instances of PSP Infinistrip, it would still be more efficient to use a higher sample rate in the session than using additional oversampling in the algorithms.
Thanks for the thoughtful responses to all these questions. Now that the bug concerning the muted output has been fixed I will be using InfiniStrip all over the place. I love the sound quality and fast, intuitive workflow.

Concerning the oversampling, I appreciate your point that a higher session sample rate would be more efficient - but I totally disagree that making it optional would "defeat what makes InfiniStrip unique."

With optional oversampling, one could enjoy the benefits of running a session at a lower samplerate while using the zero-latency efficiency of InfiniStrip, and then when rendering have it oversample the mixdown. To me this represents the best of both worlds and would make InfiniStrip even more unique and special. Please consider offering oversampling for rendering.

My thoughts exactly. I want to thank PSP for an informative and thoughtful post. I welcome continued interaction like this to keep growing this great channel strip. I look forward to what the future holds with new modules.

Re: Oversampling
I think it's important to provide this option. Many people will prefer to run in regular mode, but in many cases we are happy to pay for the extra CPU when critical tracks need the treatment. I'd hate to know I'm compromising on the quality of my treatment on a lead vocal track simply because the oversampling option is not available to be clicked. We all understand that oversampling costs more CPU. But those of us that like to season our tracks with preamp coloring need it the most, and with this strip having some nice preamp options, it's a natural match. You could offer a HD option per module, or a smart global HD button that oversamples modules according to their needs.

Personally, I don't prefer to run sessions at higher sample rates. I rely on my plugins to oversample for themselves according to their own needs. In my view, this means that I'm relying on the expertise of the plugin designer to determine what type of oversampling the algorithm needs. If the plugin require 2x oversampling, or a preamp requires 8x oversampling, I expect the plugin designer knows that better than me and apply the logic internally as needed. If you don't provide an oversampling option, you are forcing me to guess without knowing enough about your algorithm or having the type of skills you have to figure out how much oversampling is correct for the modules. So IMO the best scenario is that the oversampling engineering comes from you (decide how much per module, cut out ultrasound noise), all I want is the option to toggle it on/off as needed.

jochicago wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:23 pm My thoughts exactly. I want to thank PSP for an informative and thoughtful post. I welcome continued interaction like this to keep growing this great channel strip. I look forward to what the future holds with new modules.

Re: Oversampling
I think it's important to provide this option. Many people will prefer to run in regular mode, but in many cases we are happy to pay for the extra CPU when critical tracks need the treatment. I'd hate to know I'm compromising on the quality of my treatment on a lead vocal track simply because the oversampling option is not available to be clicked. We all understand that oversampling costs more CPU. But those of us that like to season our tracks with preamp coloring need it the most, and with this strip having some nice preamp options, it's a natural match. You could offer a HD option per module, or a smart global HD button that oversamples modules according to their needs.
+1
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

Return to “Effects”