Why you left VSTs?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cause... I couldn't find a VST that comes close. There's something about hard ware... flutes, bassoons, digeridoos...
Pickboy Carbon Model E

I didn't :)

For my hobbyist needs, I'll never go back. I learned studio engineering in the late 80s with rooms full of midi gear, rack fx, big consoles and tape (analog and digital). Setting up for a song was a major PITA when you have a lot of synths and fx. Now I can say "File>Open" and boom!

Live I still use hardware though. I like the simplicity. I've had a couple keyboards have issues over the years, but I have no doubt that a laptop or ipad rig would have had more.

If I end up getting a Prophet or other analog synth for my live rig, I could end up using it in recordings possibly. It would have to sound better than Repro and be as easy to program (controllers, sweeps etc) for me to do so. Don't get me wrong, I love hardware and have owned my share in almost 40 years of playing, but vst convenience just is king for me!

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:13 pm It's not just the mouse, people underestimate ergonomics in general. For the longest time I kept a MIDI keyboard on a stand to the right of my desk, so I was always half-bent to the right, flailing with my right arm to try to play notes on the keyboard, while using the mouse with my left hand (I'm right-handed but somewhat ambidextrous) to tweak the plug-ins and simultaneously trying to see the computer monitor over my left shoulder.

Others plop a giant MIDI keyboard on their desk so they have to reach over it to use the mouse and keyboard and have to push the computer monitor way back so they can barely see some of the smaller plugin GUIs.

Now I have a compact 25-key keyboard immediately to the left of the computer keyboard so I can easily trigger notes while tweaking soft-synths with the mouse. I also put the computer monitor on a VESA-mount swivel arm so I can adjust it on the fly.
I use a Kawai K5000S synth as controller, and it sits on my desk with the mouse and computer keyboard in front of it, not behind. I have the desk set pretty low, so it is just matter of raising the chair a bit and I have a good keys playing position, (not that I can play keys much, but anyway), or setting it a bit lower for more confortable computer work.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:13 pm It's not just the mouse, people underestimate ergonomics in general. For the longest time I kept a MIDI keyboard on a stand to the right of my desk, so I was always half-bent to the right, flailing with my right arm to try to play notes on the keyboard, while using the mouse with my left hand (I'm right-handed but somewhat ambidextrous) to tweak the plug-ins and simultaneously trying to see the computer monitor over my left shoulder.

Others plop a giant MIDI keyboard on their desk so they have to reach over it to use the mouse and keyboard and have to push the computer monitor way back so they can barely see some of the smaller plugin GUIs.

Now I have a compact 25-key keyboard immediately to the left of the computer keyboard so I can easily trigger notes while tweaking soft-synths with the mouse. I also put the computer monitor on a VESA-mount swivel arm so I can adjust it on the fly.
Agree, but can be fixes if you get the right stuff, a monitor arm helps a lot to get the right height, a custom desk helps to have space for computer keyboard and leyboard controller, add space for controllers.
dedication to flying

It's pretty easy to add a hide away keyboard tray to most any desk. A $7 sliding drawer bracket and a piece of wood. Took me all of 15 mins to build and install mine.

pekbro wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:14 am It's pretty easy to add a hide away keyboard tray to most any desk. A $7 sliding drawer bracket and a piece of wood. Took me all of 15 mins to build and install mine.
Not everyone can sport wood like that.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Because I lost my taste for apples and decided to re-embrace oranges.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Because I had to go to the toilet :P

I didn't. I just wanted that whole tactile experience everyone talks about. Still looking for it, one piece of gear at a time.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

tcrano wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:43 pm Because I had to go to the toilet :P
I assume you've already returned back to your VSTs? :)
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Because they cheated on me.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Dencheg wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:08 pm
tcrano wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:43 pm Because I had to go to the toilet :P
I assume you've already returned back to your VSTs? :)
I did. But I think I was a little bit too fast.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”