Roast My Song (Constructively)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a song I'm wanting to do an extra good job on for a special occasion. If you're feeling generous, I'd love it if you would take a listen and give me any advice you have on the mixing, sound design and overall quality.

Mixing has never been my strong suite, so feel free to just say it as it is; I won't get my feelings hurt because I know I have much to learn. Just try to keep it constructive and factual so that I can try your advice.

Update: Removed preview from my soundcloud to make room for official track.

If the whole thing sounds off (which it very well just might) just give the top five most glaring things and I'll give them a go. :) Thank you!
Last edited by HDDigitizerMusic on Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vey nice track, not much to complain about the mix and production. Tight beat, good melodies.

I'd probably introduce that slow section a bit later. Also I'd probably relax the limiter a bit, there seem to be some compression artifacts in places but it may be soundcloud causing issues actually.

Good work!
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

0:22 nice fx and underwater bass
0:36 a bit of a volume jump, had me reaching for the volume knob to turn it down a bit. I'd not have such a big volume jump.
1:21 very interesting vibe change. Sounds like a totally different song; which could be a positive thing, or negative depending on how you're using it.
2:43 nice breakdown.
I think the mixing is Ok. Every sound seems to have its own place and there are no notable clashes.
Just maybe sort out some volume normalization here and there and its a good track.
:tu:

For the most part it's fine. The one lead has, IMO, maybe a bit too much upper mids but that's just a taste thing for me. Well done. :tu:

Not my style of track... It's melodic DnB. I prefer darkside old school late 90's DnB.

However, I think you done it well and the melody's go well together. Mix is fine too! Reminds me a bit of some 80s Japanese anime show. Good tune overall.

The only thing I'd say, I'd like to see a bit more beef to the drums again that'd be my personal taste.

PS - I like the abrupt change.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Sound wise, I like all of the elements.

As for the structure it has a 'feel' but doesn't really offer anything to hold on to - it's almost like a preset demo where many cool ideas were connected together to make a piece but it doesn't (in my opinion) offer anything to remember and doesn't really build a cohesive result in my memory (aka, not a 'catchy tune').

koalaboy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:18 am it's almost like a preset demo where many cool ideas were connected together to make a piece but it doesn't (in my opinion) offer anything to remember
I agree with this ^^
Production is fine, although the "lead" synth is a little harsh sounding at times. It really needs a hook to make the track more memorable imho.

I cant give any advice but the song is great,its like 2 songs in one but very well blended together

Headphones here. The Leads are too loud i. m. O.

I´d definitely think about the overall Loudness and Frequency Balance. You could make the Track much more exciting with more Variation. A slow Spectrometer will probably not show many Changes (exaggerated). Spare the Ears of your Audience to hit them harder the next Time!

DSM V3?

The Arrangement is really impressing. Very well done. Keep on going!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! It was very helpful and much appreciated. I will definitely try each and every one out!

Return to “Music Cafe”