Safe Travels [oldschool melodic psytrance]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... 6-master-5

A tribute to mid to late 00's melodic psytrance, inspired by Protoculture, Ephedrix, Digicult and the like. Not really very psychedelic but energetic and euphoric (meant to be :) )

Lots of Viper synth in there.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

So that's what a melody sounds like :D

Sounds great man, that 303 is killer. Is that ABL or Viper?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:02 pm So that's what a melody sounds like :D
Kinda :)

303 is Phoscyon

Thanks for listening!

recursive one wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:09 pm 303 is Phoscyon
D'oh! Almost mentioned that one too. Still sounds the business after all this time.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I had a good experience listening to this...

I just came from Mushy's latest forest thingy...

He needs to shave down under...
was a very hairy experience .. :lol:

OK... jokes aside... you guys make some wicked energy happening ...

:tu:

Great psy vibe indeed!

I still don't quite know how to generate sequences like that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Excellent as always. I was thinking of getting the Phoscyon but that GUI is a deal breaker. Do you think the ABL3 is as good or do you feel the Phoscyon is vastly superior? I can't really hear a difference between the two but since you do this genre more often you probably can hear a difference.

Also, I'm very impressed with how well you seem to know the genres as far as eras, influences and so on.

Anyway, thanks for the track.

High standard, great to listen to... as usual.

Thanks for listening guys! :)
DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:04 pm still don't quite know how to generate sequences like that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Idk, I just draw everything in piano roll. Knowing some basic music theory helps :)
wagtunes wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:20 pm I was thinking of getting the Phoscyon but that GUI is a deal breaker. Do you think the ABL3 is as good or do you feel the Phoscyon is vastly superior? I can't really hear a difference between the two but since you do this genre more often you probably can hear a difference.
Sorry I never tried ABL nor any other 303 emu except Phoscyon. I also never had any 303 hardware so I don't know how authentic it actually sounds, but it sounds great to me, especially with the built-in distortion. Afaik there is no distortion in ABL.

The gui is fine to me, not the prettiest but the layout is decent.
wagtunes wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:20 pm Also, I'm very impressed with how well you seem to know the genres as far as eras, influences and so on.
Iirc I was first exposed to psytrance in 2006. It wasn't always my main focus but I always had some interest in it and followed its development. Still, 2006-2013 were the best years imo (Protoculture - Circadians to U_recken - Light at the End of the World and lots of cool stuff inbetween).

recursive one wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:46 am Thanks for listening guys! :)
DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:04 pm still don't quite know how to generate sequences like that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Idk, I just draw everything in piano roll. Knowing some basic music theory helps :)
Quite the opposite. I make everything too melodic, while psy barely has any melodies at all. It's about spamming unspeakable sounds in pretty much random sequences.

I don't know to to create this blipy arp from very beginning, or this very sparse sequence starting at 1:00.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:13 pm I don't know to to create this blipy arp from very beginning, or this very sparse sequence starting at 1:00.
Ah, for some reason I thought you meant the melodic sequences.

The arp in the beginning is not an arp, it's a long note. The synth is Serum, the "sequence" was made by modulating the warp amount (iirc it was some of the "sync" modes) by chaos synced to 1/8. The same sound later runs trough a simple trancegate.

The sequence at 1:00 is Viper, I don't remember the exact patch settings as I've made that patch a while back, but i think it uses the Viper's own arp with arp velocities linked to various things (rate reducer apparently and maybe resonance) and some LFO.

Lots of delays over everything, of course :)

Just fantastic.
:tu:

Thank you! :)

Some lovely acid sounds in there. Fantastic stuff man. Is that all software or is there any hardware used in that? Whatever, it sounds great, uplifting and trippy :0

Thanks!
amrita wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:54 pm Is that all software or is there any hardware used in that?
All software - Viper, Phoscyon, Spire, Serum, Sylenth and some bits from U-He synths.

Return to “Music Cafe”