BUG--MIDI Input

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, i have much to say so will split that into two posts. Subsequent to this one will be the bug report.

Months ago i ran the demo of Architect and was completely at a loss to play anything. My assumptions were based on conventions in Pure Data, which i'm familiar with.
A few days ago i re-demoed Architect and this time used the in-built sequencers and a VSTi on the Mixer. Immediate satisfaction, with some modulation of sequencer parameters i got a glimpse of the immense potential of Architect. Working alongside the Quick Start Guide has been a great help in better understanding Architect's paradigm.

Bought the full version today and am looking forward to playing with it.

Now, onto the bug report…

Up until i reached the 'Mappings' (p.15) section of the Quick Start Guide, i was able to make use of my MIDI keyboard. Mapping a keyboard key to a Panel Rotary was the last time my MIDI keyboard seemed to work, though i can't say for sure that this was cause of the issue. Especially given that a fresh, new, preset with no assignments in the Mapping inspector yields the same result.

The screenshot below shows a simple setup. i've used [MIDI Input], with the appropriate device selected. The MIDI is set to be printed and also fed to a track on the Mixer. The MIDI activity indicator (bottom right) lights up with key presses. The [print] and the VSTi show no activity.
MIDI input to print and track.PNG
This is only true of Architect_64bit standalone v.0.10.2, Win10
The same is true of the VST build but defining "Host" for the [MIDI Input] works perfectly, and is the sensible choice when using Architect in a host DAW.

i uninstalled Architect, removed …/(User)/Documents/Loomer folder, removed …/(User)/AppData/(Local,Roaming)/Loomer folders, and did a fresh install. The problem persists.

Apologies if there's a simple thing that i'm missing. Thanks for your time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thank you for your kind words.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I believe I know what this issue is, as it has been reported before. Essentially, Windows seems to only allow one connection to a MIDI device. This means if you are using a MIDI device as, say, both a MIDI controller input and as a MIDI input in the graph, only one of them will actually receive the MIDI messages.

I've made some progress towards fixing this, but it's one of those situations where on the surface what appears to be a simple bug to fix, actually requires a lot of behind-the-scenes code changes. I'm on target for a new beta out next week, but I will see if I can also get this fixed for that build. If it looks like the fix is taking too long, I may instead release the beta without the fix, then aim to get another beta out shortly after with this fixed (and any other bugs manifesting in the new release: it adds a lot, so I would be very surprised to not see any new issues.)

As I have managed to reproduce this bug myself, I don't believe I need any more information from you at this point; but if the situation changes, I will either post here (if you could follow the thread) or PM you directly, if that's OK?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks for the quick reply. i'm set to follow this thread and am happy to receive direct PM from you.

A little confused about your description of having both MIDI controller input and a [MIDI Input] in the graph. Is MIDI controller input those defined in the Mappings window?

Thank you. I will let you know if I need any more information from you.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: MIDI controller devices are defined in Preference / Devices / MIDI Inputs. So if you have a device checked in that dialog, it will clash with the same device if selected in a [MIDI Input] module.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:11 am MIDI controller devices are defined in Preference / Devices / MIDI Inputs. So if you have a device checked in that dialog, it will clash with the same device if selected in a [MIDI Input] module.
Ah! YAY! Issue resolved, thanks! :)

That has confirmed, then, that what you are seeing is the issue I suspected: thanks!

Just to keep you in the loop, I've fixed this issue for the next release. MIDI input devices will now work even when the device is selected in multiple locations.

Thank you for reporting this.

Thank you, colin@loomer :)

Return to “Loomer”