Need help recreating this kind of oldschool punchy bass (donk-like)

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm trying to get something between this bass sound (you can hear it right from the beginning) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUnu-u-XVgU

and this one (appears from 0'28 and stays for a VERY long time) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJ15rD726o

This kind of bass may seem simple, but actually it's very, very, very punchy, and that's where I think I don't get it. Actually I have no clue how to get any close. I've never heard any preset that sounds close enough to my ears so I could edit it. Most of the time I have no problem to create the sounds I'm trying to make.

I have successfully sampled it from the second song, but that's not what I'm after.

I own the most common synths (Avenger, Rapid, Dune 1,2&3, Falcon, Sylenth1, Massive&X, Thorn, Icarus, ElectraX, Gladiator, Synthmaster&One, Harmor, Lush101, Zebra2, Hive2...

Thanks a lot in advance for any help ! :tu:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Actually I think I just found a way to mimic the second bass sound by layering a regular synth bass sound (filtered) with a mute guitar sound. Sounds kind of close. Needs adjustments but maybe there's something on this path.

I recreated it almost exactly in Serum. It can be done with most any synth. Basically, I used a very soft saw (no high partials) as the oscillator (you could filter a hard saw). I then used an envelope to modulate the coarse pitch such that it starts high and sweeps down very quickly to the final pitch. Instant attack. Short decay. No hold. No sustain. That's not for the amp envelope. That's only the envelope modulating pitch. Next, I added a low pass filter, whose cutoff is modulated by the same envelope in roughly the same way. This filter has a bit of resonance. Then, for even more punch, push it hard into a limiter with soft clipping. You might then add a bit of chorus, or use unisons in your primary oscillator, to get a wider and more present sound.

You might experiment with using envelopes to very quickly sweep the cutoff of a bandpass as well, playing with various degrees of resonance.

JO512 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:54 pm I recreated it almost exactly in Serum. It can be done with most any synth. Basically, I used a very soft saw (no high partials) as the oscillator (you could filter a hard saw). I then used an envelope to modulate the coarse pitch such that it starts high and sweeps down very quickly to the final pitch. Instant attack. Short decay. No hold. No sustain. That's not for the amp envelope. That's only the envelope modulating pitch. Next, I added a low pass filter, whose cutoff is modulated by the same envelope in roughly the same way. This filter has a bit of resonance. Then, for even more punch, push it hard into a limiter with soft clipping. You might then add a bit of chorus, or use unisons in your primary oscillator, to get a wider and more present sound.

You might experiment with using envelopes to very quickly sweep the cutoff of a bandpass as well, playing with various degrees of resonance.
Thank you very, very much, I'll try this !! :tu:

It seems the envelope modulating pitch is what I didn't get AT ALL here.

Ah, it appears you're not actually asking about my bass playing then... :cry:

But if you were - one of these;

rjt60b-4.jpg
Fiesta Red, I'll have you know

Sorry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

not pink?

not a bass :?

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 pm not a bass :?
revelation bass vi in fiesta red (not pink).
also comes in a lovely vibrant purple :love:

should order that...

DJErmac wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:50 pm It seems the envelope modulating pitch is what I didn't get AT ALL here.
Are you now getting a result that you are pleased with?

vurt wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 pm

should order that...
I had no idea. Looks very nice (not too pricey either) :tu:

Nothing wrong with pink. I used to have a pink paisley pattern tokai tele ... it was beautiful

JO512 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 pm
DJErmac wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:50 pm It seems the envelope modulating pitch is what I didn't get AT ALL here.
Are you now getting a result that you are pleased with?
I've just tried and... the answer is no. :scared:

I can't get anything better than this :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1urTlp ... DJ8-h-cEHO
(which is, imho, not even close, it's like a toy version)

It's not like some post-production is missing, it's not about a compressor or a limiter, it's miles away from the original... What is missing ? :(

OK this is far from perfect but you can tweak it afterwards.

The unison in Charlatan runs free to If you make something similar in a synth that has retrigger you'll get a more consistent sounding bass.

I would also layer the attack with some percussion or maybe a hat or whatever.

Add some distortion and whatever else in post to fit your tune

https://vimeo.com/421857622
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 pm
vurt wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 pm

should order that...
I had no idea. Looks very nice (not too pricey either) :tu:

Nothing wrong with pink. I used to have a pink paisley pattern tokai tele ... it was beautiful
british company, make some nice guitars, and yup, not crazy expensive either 8)

CHOOS wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:51 am https://vimeo.com/421857622

I'm not getting any audio on your video.

Return to “Sound Design”