Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
9024 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:41 pm

And will be cross platform by the looks of things :)

prodigal_sounds
KVRer
29 posts since 17 Mar, 2008

Re: Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Does anyone know if the Arturia CMI-V manages to replicate the organic nature of the Fairlight's electronic pitch shifting?

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
9563 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:30 pm

prodigal_sounds wrote:Does anyone know if the Arturia CMI-V manages to replicate the organic nature of the Fairlight's electronic pitch shifting?
What is "the organic nature of the Fairlight's electronic pitch shifting"?

Can you explain what you mean or give some sound examples?
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
beely
KVRAF
1707 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Re: Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:41 pm

prodigal_sounds wrote:Does anyone know if the Arturia CMI-V manages to replicate the organic nature of the Fairlight's electronic pitch shifting?
Pretty sure it doesn't, as they would have mentioned it otherwise.
fmr wrote:What is "the organic nature of the Fairlight's electronic pitch shifting"?
Can you explain what you mean or give some sound examples?
The Fairlight didn't resample samples digitally like modern software does when repitching. It had individual voice cards, one for each voice, so it could directly vary the playback sample rate for different pitches, rather than having to interpolate samples.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
9563 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 pm

beely wrote:
fmr wrote:What is "the organic nature of the Fairlight's electronic pitch shifting"?
Can you explain what you mean or give some sound examples?
The Fairlight didn't resample samples digitally like modern software does when repitching. It had individual voice cards, one for each voice, so it could directly vary the playback sample rate for different pitches, rather than having to interpolate samples.
Oh... THAT? Why is it "organic"?
Fernando (FMR)

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12915 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Re: Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:Just received the Aly James xmas newsletter where it says:

"Working on a Legendary Fairlight CMI Sampler Emulation, the SAMPLIGHT

This will be able to read original voice files of the CMI and sample any audio content to the Fairlight gritty specs, a Vintage sampler to drawn into the low green resolution of your mind..."

It seems that never materialized, his website seems frozen in time...

electro
KVRAF
4646 posts since 6 May, 2002

Re: Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:26 pm

beely wrote:
prodigal_sounds wrote:Does anyone know if the Arturia CMI-V manages to replicate the organic nature of the Fairlight's electronic pitch shifting?
Pretty sure it doesn't, as they would have mentioned it otherwise.
fmr wrote:What is "the organic nature of the Fairlight's electronic pitch shifting"?
Can you explain what you mean or give some sound examples?
The Fairlight didn't resample samples digitally like modern software does when repitching. It had individual voice cards, one for each voice, so it could directly vary the playback sample rate for different pitches, rather than having to interpolate samples.
I'm sure Arturia emulated it otherwise there would be absolutely no point to the emulation.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

User avatar
beely
KVRAF
1707 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Re: Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm

electro wrote: I'm sure Arturia emulated it otherwise there would be absolutely no point to the emulation.
Glen talks about all the stuff they mentioned modelling, including the input/output filtering and other stuff. No mention of the resampling, hence my above comment.

Disagree that there is no point to the product without it - Arturia obviously do too, seeing as its just been released...

User avatar
murnau
KVRAF
5574 posts since 13 Jan, 2005 from the bottom of my heart

Re: Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

Post Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:25 pm

I wouldn't count that Aly James will release it in this century.. sad i know.. :cry:

PS. Love the beely stuff! Top notch! :tu:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

decaystar
KVRer
7 posts since 22 Mar, 2009

Re: Closest thing to a fairlight CMI Series III emulation.

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:22 am

murnau wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:25 pm
I wouldn't count that Aly James will release it in this century.. sad i know.. :cry:

PS. Love the beely stuff! Top notch! :tu:
Well stop waiting and check out this.

webpage:
https://adamstrange.itch.io/qasarbeach

Community:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/277208163443745

Return to “Instruments”