BBCSO Discover test track

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wrote a short little test track with BBCSO Discover library by Spitfire Audio. I wish I had something like this when I started years ago. You can’t expect results like a full library , but with the amount of basic instruments you’re able to create a first orchestral basic track in my opinion , without spending one cent. For this track I downloaded their template for Logic Pro X and within 1,5 hour I wrote the track. Maybe some of you find it useful. Wishing everybody a great weekend.
https://soundcloud.com/ingo_wegener/bbcso-disvover-test

Like always , I made also a screencast
https://youtu.be/X31bAYuCSzA

That's impressive, nice work. I don't think anyone has any excuses now for shoddy sounding orchestral pieces. :)

Nice work. I've been eyeing up that library (between that and Steinberg's Iconica Opus). Percs sound great. The harp glissando sounds nice, but when followed up by the flute(?) doing the same run, it sounds a bit synthetic. I'd certainly bow down to any flutist who can play a run that quickly. :!:

lessera wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:57 pm Nice work. I've been eyeing up that library (between that and Steinberg's Iconica Opus). Percs sound great. The harp glissando sounds nice, but when followed up by the flute(?) doing the same run, it sounds a bit synthetic. I'd certainly bow down to any flutist who can play a run that quickly. :!:
I have to agree on that. Sounds synthetic , I don’t know if it’s possible to play like that but for the synthetic part I tried to hard to make it sound more natural , but on the one side I’m limited because of the samples and on the other side I don’t have enough knowledge how to make it better 😉

lessera wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:57 pm Nice work. I've been eyeing up that library (between that and Steinberg's Iconica Opus). Percs sound great. The harp glissando sounds nice, but when followed up by the flute(?) doing the same run, it sounds a bit synthetic. I'd certainly bow down to any flutist who can play a run that quickly. :!:
Not sure you realise, but this was made with the $49/'free' version. It only has one dynamic layer, and no round-robins. Not that I'm saying that specific line would be much better in the 'Core' and 'Pro' versions, but Id guess it'd be greatly improved.

@ Ingo: Enjoyed the little piece. Amazing what can be coaxed out of 200mb. Well done! :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:00 pm
Not sure you realise, but this was made with the $49/'free' version. It only has one dynamic layer, and no round-robins. Not that I'm saying that specific line would be much better in the 'Core' and 'Pro' versions, but Id guess it'd be greatly improved.
Yeah. Definitely worth the price! The lack of round-robin samples might become somewhat of a nuisance if trying to sequence ultra-realistic staccato lines. The track itself is pretty decent for a free library. :)

I still think this $1000 sitting on the desk in front me might be handed over to Spitfire at some time though (before my wife makes me foolishly squander it on food and mortgage :hihi:)

Ingo Wegener wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:47 am I wrote a short little test track with BBCSO Discover library by Spitfire Audio. I wish I had something like this when I started years ago. You can’t expect results like a full library , but with the amount of basic instruments you’re able to create a first orchestral basic track in my opinion , without spending one cent. For this track I downloaded their template for Logic Pro X and within 1,5 hour I wrote the track. Maybe some of you find it useful. Wishing everybody a great weekend.
https://soundcloud.com/ingo_wegener/bbcso-disvover-test
That's REALLY good! Really like the sound of the orchestra samples these companies are producing recently. Sound quality is only a small part of it though.
Find me on iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp etc.

lessera wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 pmI still think this $1000 sitting on the desk in front me might be handed over to Spitfire at some time though (before my wife makes me foolishly squander it on food and mortgage :hihi:)
Well, if you've got the kind of money to where you've just got $1000 sitting on the desk, perhaps nobody's gonna miss it ;)

BBCSO does look like a great all-in-one prospect. Unless you're in a rush, definitely wait for a sale. I think in their wish-list sales, discounts can reach about 40%, which is a good ol' chunk. There might even be a sale starting tomorrow. Soon, anyway.

If you have the inclination, perhaps check the BBCSO threads at VI-Control. Like all software instruments, sample libraries etc., opinions can be pretty divisive. Worth making a more informed decision when that amount of money's on the table (erm...literally).

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm Unless you're in a rush, definitely wait for a sale. I think in their wish-list sales, discounts can reach about 40%, which is a good ol' chunk. There might even be a sale starting tomorrow. Soon, anyway.
:hyper: At that discount, that would pretty much clinch the deal for me.

Iconica Sections + Players can currently be had for $800. It seems to get a fair amount of positive reviews, but there is such limited content on youtube about it.

I am in no rush. I keep watching and rewatching a lot of youtube reviews/demos of BBCSO to keep me pacified in the meantime. As an all-round symphonic library, it seems hard to beat.

Thanks for the tips. I will have a peruse through VI Control.

(I don't mean to derail your thread Ingo. Consider this a friendly bump for your great little track :))

lessera wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:48 pmI am in no rush. I keep watching and rewatching a lot of youtube reviews/demos of BBCSO to keep me pacified in the meantime. As an all-round symphonic library, it seems hard to beat.
While you're watching, make sure to check out the 'Core' library demos. It is a huge chunk cheaper, while retaining the same amount of dynamic layers and RR's. It misses some instruments and some articulations. It also only has one microphones position.

If you like the sound of that one mic, it would be a safe intro to the BBC experience I reckon. They also apply a discount to the same value as you paid, should you decide to crossgrade to 'Pro' (Not sure how all that works in terms of sale prices, though. Could be worth asking).

And yes...sorry for the derail :hug:

Return to “Music Cafe”