What are Your Favorite Inexpensive Behringer Synths?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
vurt
addled muppet weed
64963 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 am

chk071 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 pm
I would get the Model D and the Pro-1. If I had the (self-imposed) budget. :)

If only the Crave had 2 oscillators...
theyre very cheap...
buy two. then you have 2 oscillators :D

chk071
KVRAF
24026 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: What are Your Favorite Inexpensive Behringer Synths?

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 am

Yeah... but, for the price of a 3 oscillator Model D. :)
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

vurt
addled muppet weed
64963 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:58 am

of course, none of them is going to break the bank or be a dissapointing purchase.
not like you are thinking "wonder if id enjoy producing music?" you already know you like it. so it would just be additional tools to your toolbox.

yes, we all know there is no patch recall blah blah...

but if you like the sounds, you know you can use the synths :)

if you cant treat yourself to something fun during an apocalypse, whats the point? :hihi:

itanever
KVRist
31 posts since 26 Jul, 2019

Post Sat May 23, 2020 5:18 am

I'd say K2, Neutron, Model D. I have K2, Model D and Crave. But based on my experience and the demos I've heard you can't go wrong with any of these, they're solidly built and they sound really nice. I'd recommend you to base your decision on what type of music you want to make and what types of sounds you're after. But be warned - these synths are kinda like Pokemon, you may end up wanting to catch 'em all. :D

McLilith
KVRAF
2073 posts since 7 Jul, 2003 from Huntington, WV

Post Sat May 23, 2020 11:24 am

vurt wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 am
chk071 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 pm
I would get the Model D and the Pro-1. If I had the (self-imposed) budget. :)

If only the Crave had 2 oscillators...
theyre very cheap...
buy two. then you have 2 oscillators :D
That, or double-track your synth parts during recording. Then, you have 2 oscillators without even having to pay for the second one! :hihi:

I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

codec_spurt
KVRAF
4151 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 pm

Crave is good. Bit like one of those Moog thingies, some say -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JexfJSNVQmM

I don't know. It's basic. You need to really spend a bit of time to bring it alive, maybe mess about with them included patch cords, or buy a few extra to plugin. Not even got that far myself yet. It's a great noise machine for blips and really cuts a mix. Bass is strong.

One good feature is the ability to use your Korg Volca sync out in to it to control it in time. And of course it has an actual midi out 5 pin din or wtf to control other midi synths/drums. That's handy because none of the Volcas have that, unmodded.

It plays very well and syncs just about perfectly with my couple of Volcas, at the end of the chain, providing that extra midi out. I almost see it as 'part midi interface', - it's so handy (but I'm lacking in midi sync boxes and whatnot, so it's a good stopgap if you are just starting out getting a small "modular" set up together). It has a few other tricks up its sleeve as well. For the money it's extreme bang for buck. Really well built, and well, sounds like a bloody analog monosynth from years ago, which is to say, pretty shite half the time, but pretty sweet the rest, and bloody amazing when you really hit the sweet spot, perhaps adding in some extra FX.

The MS-101 or MS-1 is also a good bang for the buck synth. But Behringer dropped the ball on two major things with it:

1: The filter can't get that sweet spot that the SH-101 can and gets a bit 'uppity' when it reaches over 3/4 way. Doubt this can be fixed in FW - don't know.

2: The portamento/glissando/legato/wtf does not work properly and even the recent FW fix is half-assed. Maybe something that can be fixed in FW, but not looking good. Minds better than mine are pondering this so I defer to them. It would be nice to get fixed.

I can live with the hairy filter response. But the lack of a useful glide is downright annoying seeing this was one of the major features of this synth.

Still, I'm not disappointed. They were going for a little over 200 quid a while back and it's really rude not to buy one at that price because they take you 90 percent of the way there. It's built solid. Packaged well. Good job.

Talking of being built well, the Odyssey is built like the proverbial Russian Tank. It can even sound like one too! Then again, it can sound like a lot of things if you know what you are doing. It's extremely versatile. This is probably one of the ones Behringer got really right.

No sharp edges, weighty...

One thing is the lights on the LED sliders kind of glow at a different intensity, but that's just nit-picking at this price. Again, you can pick one up for a little over 300 quid if you are patient. It comes with all the sync and cv stuff if you want to get really kinky with you little synth harem. Probably their best offering so far. Makes me appreciate my GFORCE Oddity v.1 and v.2 even more.

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/oddity2

Giving a well deserved shout-out there because without these little VSTi gems to play with beforehand, I would not have had a f**king clue what I was doing with this little black and orange beast. Then again, it took me over 2 hours to get any sound out of it at all and I originally thought it was broke! Then it would not stop clicking and I thought "I really got a dud one here", but alas, it was just my synth fuckwittery getting the better of me. A few youtube tutorials and I was good.

Now just need to take some 'screenshots' as it don't save patch memory. All good and fun stuff!

All this is ok to me. Reminds me of my first stumblings around new synths and 'things' that I found in the first studios I played in and got to take home for a weekend. Jabbing at it. What does this do? Kind of thing. No showstoppers so far.

However, I decided not to buy the Behringer offering of the TR-808. I know it works for many. Sounds great. I nearly picked one up for 222 quid from Bax. But I'm glad I didn't. Now they are about 300 quid, Behringer can do one. Too many problems. Too many corners cut. They have to do a second revision at some point to save some kind of face and we won't be seeing any TR-909 'clones' from them for a while methinks while they sort out their FW issues.

Synths are easy. Drum machines are hard.

And Uli Behringer himself has turned out to be a bit of a sensitive narcissist it would seem after his not so recent bad-mouthing of the GS forum where they helped to make the products what they were. Some people would pay good money for that. Uli got it for free and still was not happy. Oh well.

Now we have the next cycle of insanity with people over-reacting to that. Uli could have been the bigger man about the criticisms, which were pretty fair and valid tbh if you are splashing a coupla hundred bucks on a unit (we aren't all made of money and some of us can only afford one of these things after saving up for a while), but he's got a vision in mind and 'trolls' aren't going to stop him, now, he's having such a good time!

I love Behringer stuff. I even quite like Uli, the Swiss Megalomaniac that he is!

I'll be buying a few more units. I might even buy the 808 if they ever sort it out. And I'll be buying the 909 too if it is not the travesty that the 808 was on first inception.

And I got all my racks measured up for the Neutron, which is right at the top of my Behringer shopping list. Two of them in fact. You know why.

Then I'm measuring up the rack space and price of a decent System 100 setup, which is absolutely must have at some point down the line.

Am I a hater? A fanboy?

Perhaps a bit of both if people want to polarise things.

But I'm hot on that 2600 when it comes out.

The fact they made such a great job of the Odyssey lends me to believe they won't f**k this one up. They can't. They really can not.

If there is a flagship and proof of concept for everything they have been doing recently, that is it.

I'm sure the 2600 is going to be every bit as stunning as the Odyssey.

They just need to calm the f**k down a bit before they bring any more 'drum machines' to market. For our sakes, and theirs.

McLilith
KVRAF
2073 posts since 7 Jul, 2003 from Huntington, WV

Post Sat May 23, 2020 5:34 pm

codec_spurt wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 pm
Crave is good. Bit like one of those Moog thingies, some say -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JexfJSNVQmM
I had no idea they were so similar! :o

I'd even go so far as to say I like the Behringer Crave a little bit more. I like the sound of the oscillator a little more and it has a few features the Moog doesn't. I don't have a Eurorack case. So, I'm not bothered about the Crave not fitting into one. I'm also not bothered by the "clicky" keys. That's the reassuring sound of a switch making a positive connection, unlike the squishy buttons on some other products that leave you wondering. Besides, that's what headphones or loudspeakers are for—to drown out the stray sounds of your button pushing, key pressing, cable patching, and knob twiddling. :)
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

kvotchin
KVRist
428 posts since 9 Aug, 2018

Post Sat May 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Mother32 is one of the least appealing Moog synths, IMO. All the less so because of price.

And Crave is exceptional value, no doubt about it.

Speaking of Beh synths though, just patched and played the Neutron again today, and wow, it really is one of the coolest things I’ve ever bought. <3

cptgone
KVRAF
6114 posts since 1 Aug, 2003

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:41 am

Not that I know what I'm doing, but:

Own:
- Model D :love:
- Neutron :love:
(- a drum machine: Behringer "808 clone" RD-8 :love:)
I also own a TD-3 303 clone. Nice, but doesn't make top 3 for me.

Want:
- Pro-1 :hyper:
(- a drum machine: Behringer "909 clone" RD-9)
(- everything else but so far I've resisted some crazy deals even)

Reefius
KVRian
975 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Earth

Post Mon May 25, 2020 6:41 am

I own Model D, Crave and TD-3. I'm waiting for RD-9, this will be an insta-buy when it's released.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”