How do commercial artists find/make their KICK drums??! They kick completely different than in sample libraries!!!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Eclectrophonic
KVRist
120 posts since 24 Aug, 2014

Post Tue May 19, 2020 3:36 pm

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:32 am
Eclectrophonic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:04 am
DJ Warmonger wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:37 pm
I havnt really Investigated, but it wouldn't surprise me if even the snares, hihats, and vocals are all different in registers too
So go and do investigate. Did you actually check your kicks with spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope? That may give you an insight how they are supposed to look, at least.
Is this a really good technique is it?
What else? Blind guess? :roll:

I recently found out that my 15 tracks signed at that point didn't quite have perfect kick-bass relation. Now I know why, and what is the right way :party:
I was thinking, use your ears?

So if I analyse the spectral content it doesn't mean I'd necassarily know how to recreate that content.

andreg
KVRer
11 posts since 28 Jan, 2017 from Global

Re: How do commercial artists find/make their KICK drums??! They kick completely different than in sample libraries!!!

Post Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 am

Mesmerized Angel the short answer for your question:

In order to achieve a specific|similar sound ( reproduction of a kick from a famous production in
your case) is through - Sound Design - you already know that.

DAW + Synthesizer + Spectrum Analyzer Vs the Sample of the Sound you want to reproduce(for real time audio|visual comparison) combined with a good listening environment, a solid knowledge of "how to" understand and obtain the right frequencies, layers and also the right length and shape of the sound wave over a given period of time, all of this are Imperative.

If you used the proper technique to obtain your sound through the method mentioned above then the use of EQ, compression , saturation and any other correcting or "coloring tools" should be used less to none.

Even if out there are a few artists which are making everything from scratch by themselves and this might be inspiring for some, trying to achieve the exact or a similar sound found on famous productions its an extremely time consuming choice ! Commercial artists are working with teams not alone. Somebody designs the sounds, somebody decides the song structure, somebody is making the mixing part and so on. A multitude of decisions and tweaks till the final result, basically impossible to replicate exactly by only one human!

All of these are affecting in consequence the final sound of a KICK DRUM

Return to “Production Techniques”