midi_transmission
KVRist
464 posts since 13 Feb, 2013

Post Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:44 am

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 am
TheMaestro wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:26 am
It’s more fun to play jazz than listening to it.
Just like DJing then? :hihi:
hahaha :hihi:

jancivil
KVRAF
19568 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Changing key in a song

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:00 pm

claudedefaren wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:21 pm
@ everyone in this thread berating the dude and claiming that nobody uses the circle of fifths to move from one song to another:

When I used to DJ, that is literally what we'd do. You do it so the total elements of the two tracks you're mixing don't clash with each other.

Also wtf, stop being so rude to everyone. The guy came in here to be helpful and he didn't share anything factually incorrect. Please relax, and channel that negative energy into something productive.
You can’t even be arsed to locate remarks and what they were replying to.

The OP is not the one who met resistance, for a silly assertion a member who came in mid-thread decided was a hill worth dying on. That jazz musicians used circle of fifths like a DJ who is so musically inept he has to obtain a tool like this to get to a key one sharp or flat distant for the next tune.

Jazz musicians have internalized this Intro to Music Theory conception, long before anybody is going to refer to them as a jazz musician, and who are charged with hearing it/knowing it in realtime by ear, as a matter of course.

There was no being rude until this, for me it was rude to double down on bullshit. As a simple point, no, that is not it.

So your seemingly zero-self-aware tone policing was hasty, a bad sign of one’s demeanor, and a distortion of points; in service of what?
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
I may be locatable @:
FB: Public

claudedefaren
KVRist
365 posts since 10 Mar, 2013

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Oh hey Jan! Didn't read your post, too long and leaking with negative energy. Hope you can rise above that shit soon. The toll it takes on you is apparent.

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:07 pm

Yeah, so you can’t even be intellectually honest enough to read a thing before going for the ad hominem flaming. Yeah, keep gaslighting people for the sin of disagreeing with your pure unadulterated bullshit, you’re the perfect teacher for this board, isn’t it.

Rise above your own shit ... Edit: deleted what may be funny only to me

leaking with negative energy
vapid AF
LOL
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 24, 2020 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
I may be locatable @:

Forgotten
KVRAF
11396 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:10 pm

Not sure what you see that’s so bad with Jan’s post - the guy came here and provided his opinion which is one that doesn’t tie in with real life approaches. He really seems to know nothing about how jazz works, yet insists that his opinion is correct.

It helps no one to come into a thread and provide false information, even if someone believes they are correct - it’s being factually correct that counts.

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:10 pm
Not sure what you see that’s so bad with Jan’s post - the guy came here and provided his opinion which is one that doesn’t tie in with real life approaches. He really seems to know nothing about how jazz works, yet insists that his opinion is correct.

It helps no one to come into a thread and provide false information, even if someone believes they are correct - it’s being factually correct that counts.
“Claude” proudly stated he didn’t read it; yet he knows enough about my thought process and emotions to offer his psychological assessment anyway.
I wrote a fairly long post early in the thread, as well. Both are located in the realm of the real, albeit the first one was totally on point and may be of value to... someone interested.

As so often happens here, things get dumbed-down as though to correct the unfortunate and inconvenient fact- or reality-oriented direction a thread may take
I may be locatable @:

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 pm

claudedefaren wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:03 pm
Oh hey Jan! Didn't read your post, too long and leaking with negative energy. Hope you can rise above that shit soon. The toll it takes on you is apparent.
Your mastery of the snide and passive-aggressive personal attack is duly noted.
I may be locatable @:

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm

claudedefaren wrote:
@ everyone in this thread berating the dude and claiming that nobody uses the circle of fifths to move from one song to another:
“Everyone” who claimed that? Forgotten remarked he hadn’t known anyone doing that.*
claudedefaren wrote:
When I used to DJ, that is literally what we'd do. You do it so the total elements of the two tracks you're mixing don't clash with each other.
No shit, Sherlock. Where exactly do you think you’re posting? :lol:
Too much rigor involved in reading and apprehending before going off, isn’t it.

*: and “that” (use of by jazzers) wasn’t what it’s used for. If you fully read the thread you’d have noticed he acknowledged the basic musical usage. OTOH, I actually remarked how I had: DJs evidently need it to ensure the next track hasn’t a jarring key change. in lieu of an ear, one supposes.

I gave non-trivial time and consideration to my answer to the OP, and more time subsequently.... towards a better knowledge base/towards education. I will never be very well-disposed to bullshit.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may be locatable @:

claudedefaren
KVRist
365 posts since 10 Mar, 2013

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Hey Jan! I understand you must be drowning in bitterness and anger right now, but I simply don't have time for it. So, keep quoting me if it pleases you, but it's not worth my time to argue with someone very obviously stuck in their ways and entrenched in their ego's own silliness. Sorry, not a very nice thing to say but just being straight up with you.

If you enjoy what you're doing, by all means continue, get your rocks off as it were. If the constant attention you're giving me makes you feel stressed, angry, and otherwise just less than stellar, I suggest you use the "foe" feature and just ignore my posts.

Forgotten
KVRAF
11396 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:08 pm

You’re not convincing anyone that you really believe any of that. It’s really nothing but a thinly veiled ad hominem. Maybe if you have substantial counter arguments you could post those instead?

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 pm

So, you do have time for it, how many posts doing nothing on point, just this crap?
Nothing but that in this thread, the third instance of it I’ve watched. All you’re showing me is your ass.

The guy came in here to be helpful and he didn't share anything factually incorrect.
FTR, “currentsound”, according to his DJ understanding of things stated that the circle of fifths as used to segue keys in a set had precedence, jazz musicians doing that. Arguing the unsupportable point compounds the daftness of it all.

And, they stated C to A minor wasn’t a key change. NOT HELPFUL.

So, what makes you leap to false conclusions? Seems a weird combo of intellectual sloth and eagerness to police tone.

A handful of posts, in replying to_you (who sought this little fight out) and to your offtopic projecting tone policing is “constant attention”. Alrighty then. Pretty damned desperate, isn’t it. :( Grow TF up.

... ... ... ...

- replying to me,
gebz_15 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 am
In your opinion what key would you change to from A flat Minor?
I can’t have an opinion with no musical context.
Questions like, does the melody suggest a change; how subtle or smooth vs how striking or dramatic; mood change? arise...
I may be locatable @:

Return to “Music Theory”