No GUI when compiling VSTSDK examples/helloworld

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used cmake-gui to build the SDK, and then built the vstsdk.sln inside Visual Studio 2017. Afterwards I went to helloworld.vcxproj and compiled that as well. Copied all the resultant VST3 files into my DAW VST folder, and lo and behold...
I have searched far and beyond and this issue was not documented anywhere. Any help is appreciated :)
Annotation 2020-05-19 204305.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The VST3 SDK is a mess. It is bloated and comes with a single example-project that contains a large number of useless examples. But just one with a GUI. And none with a GUI and VST 2.4 support.
cmake is a pain.
documentation is poor.
Anything above 3.6.11 does not longer have VST2 support.
v3.6.10 (the final version with VST 2.4 support) did not compile on my system.
v3.6.9 did compile with visual studio express, but not with Vistual Studio 2010 professional. However the example with GUI crashes several hosts if you load the vst2 plugin.
:?

now that the vst2 sdk is gone officially, is there any other place I can get the old sdk?

Wha? I just downloaded the latest VST 3 SDK (3.6.14) a couple days ago because I'm steeling myself to tackle using it to enjoy the free AU/VST 2 versions that are magically spat out via wrappers. The download came with the VST 2 files in the VST SDK 2 folder, along with many examples, such as the mda plugins.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Although the VST SDK 3.6.14 contains a few VST 2.x files it does not spit out any working VST 2.4 example. I tried to trick it to do this for several hours.
I was able to compile the again.vst3 with VST 2.4 support, then renamed it to again.dll, but it crashes in all tested hosts.
The last working version with VST 2.4 was 3.6.9. The VST SDK 3.6.10 is broken. Don't wase your time with it.
3.6.9 causes a few compiler errors with Visual Studio 2019 and needs some tweaks to work. And the VST 2.4 example crashes Orion, but works in other hosts.

And i was able to reproduce the "No GUI when compiling VSTSDK examples/helloworld" problem. You get this when you change the build location of the target. Check out the target location for read/write permission problems and if the png files in the resources are missing.
If you leave to default location for the build and copy the .vst3 file manually the problem does not occur.

Markus Krause wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:10 pm Although the VST SDK 3.6.14 contains a few VST 2.x files it does not spit out any working VST 2.4 example. I tried to trick it to do this for several hours.
I was able to compile the again.vst3 with VST 2.4 support, then renamed it to again.dll, but it crashes in all tested hosts.
The last working version with VST 2.4 was 3.6.9. The VST SDK 3.6.10 is broken. Don't wase your time with it.
3.6.9 causes a few compiler errors with Visual Studio 2019 and needs some tweaks to work. And the VST 2.4 example crashes Orion, but works in other hosts.
Thanks Markus. I guess I'll find out once I get into it. I wish it was actually on Github so one could see the changes made. Have you done a diff on the wrapper files?
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I copied the missing files from 3.6.9 to 3.6.14 manually and added some include paths to make it compile. Haven't checked the details why it crashes so far. Could be some entry-point problem.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”