can someone please do a great a circuit emulation VST of analogue drum machines?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

midi_transmission wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:09 pm Samples are too static sometimes.
I really don't get this. Any sound is usually processed in production. If you have a DAW, why not just use wav samples on an audio track and process to taste? Is what I do; never use a vst drum machine. Gets me good results. :shrug:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

The only good snare synth I know is SDX by Marvin Pavilion, but it's 32 bit.

ramseysounds wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:46 am
midi_transmission wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:09 pm Samples are too static sometimes.
I really don't get this. Any sound is usually processed in production. If you have a DAW, why not just use wav samples on an audio track and process to taste? Is what I do; never use a vst drum machine. Gets me good results. :shrug:
Samples are great and not worse, but different. And you don't need analog drums to make good music. But think about this. When you play a guitar you want to hear a guitar. It's simple to create guitar like sound, but not that simple to emulate a guitar perfectly that is convincing experienced players. It's the same with analog drum machines. At least some of same I've tried never produce a machine gun effect with 16th notes, because they every hit is changed a tiny bit. It's the same why analog synth sounds great (were I'm very happy with Diva and Repro). Emulating this, does not work by a bit of filter modulation on a sample.

And creating drums with good sources is almost effortless. Therefore I expressed my wish to have a versatile drum machine circuit emulation (to capture the whole paths, starting from the sound source, ending at the ADSR behavior) that can also (not only) do 909 and 808 sounds (I know not all sound on a 909 are analog). When the sound source is right from start I don't need to process hours and hours. I want to make music and not prossesing sound to make them work.

In addition, you have control about things like decay (sampler ADSR can be used similar, but is not always the same) so that you can play a drum machine like an instrument when the parameters are mapped to a midi controller.

As written in the second post of this thread, when heavily process it doesn't matter to me. But when you have pure sounds, not heavily processed, I notice this.

This is why I expressed my wish that a great developer is approaching this topic to nail it like Diva and Repro did for analog synth. I imagine something like Diva, were you have different modules to have a big range of different machines. Must not be all vintage, modern stuff is great too. I have no desire to convince anybody here, I've never said that analog is better (it's just a specific flavor that sometimes is great) or go into heated discussions. Never was my intent.

All this please without iLok or simillar annoying copy protection. I would be happy to pay a lot for this when done right (looking at you uhe :phones:).

Which ones have you tried?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

midi_transmission wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:13 pm They are great, but not near the level analogue hardware. You don't notice it when heavy processed, but when you like purer sounds there is a big difference for me. I tested this. Don't think that I'm a purist, I feel no need for real analogue synth with Diva and Repo.
Softube Heartbeat. Usability is a bit flawed but it is a legit analogue emulation.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I think you're being too fussy personally. Good luck. I'm outta here.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Some are happy with 3 velocity layer piano samples and make great music with it. Others prefer a real piano for reasons. Depends on the music you make and what sound you're after. Nothing is better, just different.

I don't get the negative subtext in this thread in general I why it's important for some people to negate other experiences. I don't think that it makes sense to continue this thread.

Peace and love
Last edited by midi_transmission on Mon May 18, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:12 pm D16 Drum Computer?
You mean Sugar Bytes Drum Computer?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

excuse me please wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:55 am The only good snare synth I know is SDX by Marvin Pavilion, but it's 32 bit.
The 2getheraudio snare seems kinda cool.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:05 am RC-808
NOt a vst , but great drummachine
Created by the original roland engineers who did the 808
https://vector808.jimdofree.com/home/about-us/
https://youtu.be/_w0uv3WfQOo
https://youtu.be/9fhH6CeU4P0

Also synsonic free ware 08/909 kick sounds great , the 808 sounds almsost as good as the cloud version
https://synsonic-instruments.com/
I didn't know about that. Spent hours jamming with it. Thanks for sharing.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:08 pm
excuse me please wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:55 am The only good snare synth I know is SDX by Marvin Pavilion, but it's 32 bit.
The 2getheraudio snare seems kinda cool.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

That RC 808 is a ton of fun and sounds great! I’m feeling a bit simple as I couldn’t find a way to route the audio back into ableton live? Piping the midi from ableton was easy enough....

The only vsti I have that seems similar is Tremor, but I have a hard time dialing up sounds with that. I end up using microtonic and samples!

Teksonik wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:03 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:09 pm for the classics analog parts in 909, 808
D-16 Nepheton, Drumazon and Nithonat ?

https://d16.pl/products
Only Drumazon is decent but sadly also abandonwware
V0RT3X wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:25 am Maybe instead of a plugin try the TR-8 or TR8S?
TR-8S is a great versatile box!

Papen has punch, FXPansion has Tremor, Waldorf has Attack, Sugar-Bytes updated their new Drum Computer, XILS has Stix. What exactly are the OP's issues with the existing VSTIs?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:57 am Papen has punch, FXPansion has Tremor, Waldorf has Attack, Sugar-Bytes updated their new Drum Computer, XILS has Stix. What exactly are the OP's issues with the existing VSTIs?
Tremor has been discontinued unfortunately. I liked it for creative drum sounds, but it didnt do analog sounds very well at all.

I'd kind of say the same to everyone of the others you listed. I've not used Xils Drum computer but I know they do make modelled synthesizers so it may do so with Stix.

Sugarbytes has always been pretty forward by stating they have no interest in modelling analog anything.

Not too sure about punch but I've always thought his stuff has been pretty digital sounding.

Attack is old and can sound quite harsh which can be great if you want that kind of sound. It can do some approximations of TR style sounds but honestly it doesnt come very close at all.

I'm guessing the OP wants an effortless analog drum sound, and if you try to use some that are not modelled on anything it can be quite a chore to get in the ball park.
:borg:

ramseysounds wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:46 am
Perhaps "static" in the sense of "unchanging, always the same" was meant; that's the usual criticism leveled against samples. There are many ways to mitigate this or even to use it artistically, as you say.

(Language geek note: static, stand, sit, set, nest and more all derive from the same root. Cool, hunh?)
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Return to “Instruments”