What reverb on sends

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trying to create my ultimate working template on Ableton. Curious as to what is the more standard reverb that generally goes on sends. Small, mid, large hall? Small mid range room? Drum room, cathedral?
I’ve always gone for the standard room reverb of ableton but I’m es ting to up the quality.
In my reverb arsenal I have the stock ableton, fab filter reverb, toraverb by d16, Eos by Audio Damage, and a freebie hyperspace from CM mag.

At the moment I’m looking to buyvvvvv Valhalla room....

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
paz por esos mundos

> reverb that generally goes on sends
All of them. But most typical, in my view, would be the things that make the mix cohesive. So a room, a plate, a delay, and something funky for throws during quiet parts.

You should be able to get great mileage out of that FF Pro-R

By working template, I'm assuming you mean at an early song creation/production stage?

If so for the above, I have 4 returns that I alternate plugins, but keep the same type for Room (small/intimate), Hall (medium to large/long decay), Plate (short) and then a delay plugin with a safe setting.

This works for me in the early stages where simplicity for achieving quickly accessed settings for placement is important. Mixing is a different story as you can use as many reverb types per instrument as is needed to create the space and sound you want.

At the moment, I have Pro-R for room and hall sends/returns/bus duties. I have UVI's Plate for the plate responsibilities and FF Timeless for delay. The plugins change from time to time in my template, but the reverb types stay the same for me.

Valhalla Room is lovely, but just make sure you are familiar with the character it provides when compared to "workhorses" like Pro-R or 2CAudio's Breeze 2.

Most every reverb will work on send, just don't forget to set it 100% wet.
The beauty of using reverbs on sends is that reverbs blend much better in parallel than in series. Even some seemingly illogical combinations, e.g. a blend of a small room with a cathedral-type space, may sound good and surprisingly natural.

It depends on what you're using reverb for.
Tip - When you have reverbs on sends you can eq the input.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

For electronica -

A convolution room for giving life to drums - Logic stock reverb is totally fine for this.

A med Valhalla Vintage hall for most space tasks on synths etc

A medium classic plate as a hall alternative - Arturia plate or soundtoys little plate

A huge synth space from Valhalla Vintage

A tape delay line for adding movement - Arturia tape echo or Valhalla delay

Most reverbs have eq after them cutting below about 1khz And above about 12khz

Maybe a compressor after reverb too to tame it a bit.

Save these channels as channel strip settings in logic to easily call up whenever needed.

Awesome replies and info. I guess I can afford to have two or three different size reverbs as sends and that will help with giving dimension to the full sound scope.
Thanks all.
paz por esos mundos

After much searching, sifting and frowning at credit card bills....

Lustrous Plates - Dense with a few seconds of decay, interesting, spatial/location cues to mono, one of the few reverbs I can also call a "betterizer" or straight up enhancer

CRTIV Reverb 2 - Bread and butter, sounds good on everything especially roomy sounds on drums, has that "makes it jump out of the speakers" effect, does not overwhelm dry signal

I barely have a want or need for more but I love EOS 2 on ambient layers and Seventh Heaven is sometimes so perfect.
Last edited by MogwaiBoy on Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

pascual wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:20 pm Awesome replies and info. I guess I can afford to have two or three different size reverbs as sends and that will help with giving dimension to the full sound scope.
Thanks all.
And you can do really cool stuff like... put a compressor AFTER the reverb in the send channel, and then sidechain the kick into it so the reverb ducks under the kick. Then everything going to that reverb send moves and breathes with the music a bit more rather than being just static. It's all these little things that bring cohesion and life.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:23 am
pascual wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:20 pm Awesome replies and info. I guess I can afford to have two or three different size reverbs as sends and that will help with giving dimension to the full sound scope.
Thanks all.
And you can do really cool stuff like... put a compressor AFTER the reverb in the send channel, and then sidechain the kick into it so the reverb ducks under the kick. Then everything going to that reverb send moves and breathes with the music a bit more rather than being just static. It's all these little things that bring cohesion and life.
Nice, yes. I’ve done that trick before but forgot about it. Fantastic!
paz por esos mundos

@pascual if I can... just a bit of advice for approaching this... do yourself a favor and don't start throwing money at different reverbs.

You actually have quite a bit of power and character with what you already own. Some people swear by the Ableton verb (and for me, I initially disliked it, but it has its place for use).

Pro-R is very powerful especially for creating space, plus it has basic EQ functionality built in.

Its also better not to think of adding fx and EQs as a trick but instead just understand these return tracks, like any other sound source are there to either be tamed or manipulated as needed.

In mixing stages (and it really is good to look at your music/song creation process in different stages), you can start to add on EQ, compressors, saturation and other FX, but while still fleshing out a track, those things sometimes introduce latency which is not important when mixing, but problematic when still recording/performing parts.

Otherwise, good luck!

Yes. Totally right. Note taken.
paz por esos mundos

...any.
yzcoruhT

Usually people have 2 to start they're template a short plate reverb and a longer hall reverb. If wanting to build a template with only one reverb you could start with just a medium room or chamber reverb. Toraverb has some really good presets that work well for this, one being percussion room.

U-o wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:58 pm...any.
^^ this

Return to “Effects”