3%
Standalone
5%
Other formats
2%

Total votes: 281

RELATED
PRODUCTS

We developers need to know what plugin-formats our users really need, to be able to focus our development.
Thanks for taking part!

VST3 for me, seem to be smaller, more stable and faster loading for me , than the VST 2 64bit equivalent.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I basically only use AU on my MacBook Pro with Logic Pro X.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

VST3. Wouldn't need anything else. Surely AU for the Mac users as well.

VST3 has sample-accurate automation.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:40 am VST3 has sample-accurate automation.
If the plugin implements this properly. I'm happy with VST2 x64, if you select a small blocksize in your audio driver i'm fine with it.

polac wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 am
If the plugin implements this properly.
We ought to assume the developers knows how to do their jobs.

I'm sure a developer who can't properly implement VST3, also can't properly implement VST2.
So just don't buy their poorly implemented plugins.
Last edited by jamcat on Mon May 25, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I do install both VST2 x64 and VST3. I use mostly VST2 x64 because it is less to have bugs usually, but anyway sometimes VST3 is more stable! So, either one is fine by me. Gradually, I think I'll be using VST3 more, naturally!

jamcat wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:06 am
polac wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 am
If the plugin implements this properly.
We ought to assume the developers knows how to do their jobs.

I'm sure a developer who can't properly implement VST3, also can't properly implement VST2.
So just don't buy their poorly implemented plugins.
I even had plugins which didn't implement the midi automation properly in vst2, which was sample-accurate already in vst2.

Extremely accurate timing for the automation / midi is possible with VST2 since 15 years or even longer (double vstInfo->ppqPos). Very inaccurate timing also possible with VST3.
It depends if the developer did implement it correctly. If the result depends on the blocksize that has been selected for the soundcard / host it has not been implemented properly

I'm a bit surprised about this poll, and the 32-bit/64-bit one as well, to be honest. I thought you didn't want to develop any new synths, and, I thought you were so convinced of VST2 and thought that it would stay another 10 years at least that you don't see any reason to develop VST3 format. ;)

VST2/3 (I experiences VST2 to be more stable in most hosts) and AAX as a ProTools user. Both in 64Bit. For me RTAS is not important anymore because all newer project are done with recent ProTools versions. I only need it for backward compatibility in old projects and I saved all the installers to those plugins used.

chk071 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:37 am I'm a bit surprised about this poll, and the 32-bit/64-bit one as well, to be honest. I thought you didn't want to develop any new synths, and, I thought you were so convinced of VST2 and thought that it would stay another 10 years at least that you don't see any reason to develop VST3 format. ;)
I am absolutely convinced that VST2 64-bit will stay here for a very long time. It is the most common plugin-format and works very well in common hosts.
It is true that i wrote that we don't have plans for new synths. But please note that we haven't stoped development on the existing products. We regularly provide free updates and content.
Just like any other company we must know what the customers need, what they don't need and what they do expect for the future.

AAX, then VST3. Most stable and performant cross platform format. VST3 for anything other than PT, comes with a slight performance gain over VST2, better plugin naming and mono/stereo autoselection.

Directx for vintage warmth
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Instruments”