Lattice Reverb (Free)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
jens
KVRAF
20066 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon May 25, 2020 3:26 am

Gary, I guess it must be something else in your case, as he manual says:
LatticeReverb requires CPU which supports AVX or later SIMD instructions.
It runs here, but I have an Ice Lake machine and tbh I have no idea how to check/verify what kind of instruction set a plugin uses….

User avatar
Erisian
KVRAF
1599 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: Lattice Reverb (Free)

Post Mon May 25, 2020 3:48 am

jens wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 pm
Erisian wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:45 am
AC222 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 am
Pardon my ignorance but what is that? AVX?
I don't know exactly but it's something to do with graphics rendering I believe. You need a modern CPU that supports it and mine sadly doesn't.
Nope - it's basically the successor to SSE.

You don't need a modern CPU. But a very old one won't work.
OK. I must have got confused somewhere along the line. I know my computer can't read AVX because early versions of Odin2 which I am beta testing used it.

jens
KVRAF
20066 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Re: Lattice Reverb (Free)

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:11 am

So what'S your CPU then? Older AMD?

User avatar
Erisian
KVRAF
1599 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: Lattice Reverb (Free)

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 am

jens wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:11 am
So what'S your CPU then? Older AMD?
Process Hacker says "Intel Celeron B820" if that means anything to you. I'm not very good at understanding technical stuff.

User avatar
consordini
KVRist
310 posts since 6 May, 2020

Re: Lattice Reverb (Free)

Post Mon May 25, 2020 5:22 am

This looks really interesting. Giving it a shot right away.
Take care :wink:

User avatar
GaryG
KVRAF
6007 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Kent, UK

Re: Lattice Reverb (Free)

Post Mon May 25, 2020 5:46 am

jens wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:26 am
Gary, I guess it must be something else in your case, as he manual says:
LatticeReverb requires CPU which supports AVX or later SIMD instructions.
Thanks jens, I'll dig deeper, neither reaper or Ableton could see it so assumed it was the CPU...
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

jens
KVRAF
20066 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Re: Lattice Reverb (Free)

Post Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 am

Erisian wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 am
jens wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:11 am
So what'S your CPU then? Older AMD?
Process Hacker says "Intel Celeron B820" if that means anything to you. t very good at understanding technical stuff.
I does now, because I just looked it up. It's from 2012, when most Intel CPUs already supported AVX, but your CPU was already back then an entry-level notebook CPU (and as I just realized, many of the current ones still do not support AVX), i.e. fairly under-powered for CPU-intensive stuff such as audio-processing.

Passmark (which I think is a relatively realistic benchmark), gives it a score of 792, which should mean that you really can't do a lot with it.
The current typical entry level Intel mobile CPU Celeron has a Passmark score of 1489, which
indeed ought mean that you can roughly run twice as many of the same plugins as with you current laptop, however it still doesn't support AVX.


But here's the good news: for just a Little more money you would get a Laptop with a 1005G1, which Passmark gives a score of 5299 (I i.e. according to Passmark it's about 6.5 times as powerful as your current CPU*) and as it is Ice Lake, if even supports AVX 512 (i.e. the newest AVX Generation).

So if you somehow can afford it, I would certainly advise you to get a laptop with a CPU such as this one…



*the current Passmark version already takes AVX into account

User avatar
Erisian
KVRAF
1599 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: Lattice Reverb (Free)

Post Mon May 25, 2020 8:33 am

jens wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 am
Erisian wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 am
jens wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:11 am
So what'S your CPU then? Older AMD?
Process Hacker says "Intel Celeron B820" if that means anything to you. t very good at understanding technical stuff.
I does now, because I just looked it up. It's from 2012, when most Intel CPUs already supported AVX, but your CPU was already back then an entry-level notebook CPU (and as I just realized, many of the current ones still do not support AVX), i.e. fairly under-powered for CPU-intensive stuff such as audio-processing.

Passmark (which I think is a relatively realistic benchmark), gives it a score of 792, which should mean that you really can't do a lot with it.
The current typical entry level Intel mobile CPU Celeron has a Passmark score of 1489, which
indeed ought mean that you can roughly run twice as many of the same plugins as with you current laptop, however it still doesn't support AVX.


But here's the good news: for just a Little more money you would get a Laptop with a 1005G1, which Passmark gives a score of 5299 (I i.e. according to Passmark it's about 6.5 times as powerful as your current CPU*) and as it is Ice Lake, if even supports AVX 512 (i.e. the newest AVX Generation).

So if you somehow can afford it, I would certainly advise you to get a laptop with a CPU such as this one…



*the current Passmark version already takes AVX into account
Sadly I can't afford another computer at the moment but I will bear that info in mind for the future. I get around CPU limitations by bouncing tracks to audio as soon as possible but this computer is on it's last legs, so it won't be long...

jens
KVRAF
20066 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Re: Lattice Reverb (Free)

Post Mon May 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Sorry to hear that! But yeah, it seems you make the best out of these restrictions...

Return to “Effects”