Affordable interface with best DA converters?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Audio interface is the most boring gear in the studio. In the "pro" industry a lot of engineers use RME. Their products don't have the highest specs, but known to be stable sort of "plug-in and forget" for the next 10 years. They just work, pro grade electronics.
The first thing comes to mind when changing the interface is to get the best DAC, but in reality there is so little difference between modern studio interfaces in DAC quality. Unless you're on tight budget, interfaces from $200 and up can have the same Sabre Ultra DAC, expensive ones have better electronics and shielding, but in general they all are very good sound quality.
If you can't afford RME Babyface FS, you can get one of the mid-range Presonus Quantum/Focusrite Clarett but pay attention these companies tend to discontinue/upgrade products very fast, just look at Quantum 2 or the Claretts with thunderbolt connections, so you need to check how long they continue to support old interfaces. Another, even worse option is my opinion is to buy an interface from a new player on the market of audio interfaces.

I am looking at the babyface pro. but two things holding be back. i dont need than many ins and outs. will never record a fully miced drummer.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Well, you can't record a fully miked drummer with a BabyFace Pro, unless you also buy an ADAT box (eg Behringer ADA8200) to get extra inputs.

So what's the second thing holding you back?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

i think that's the second one. the connectivity to the ADAT. if you need something like 12 ins and 12 outs, why not just get a 1u rack interface?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:05 pm I am looking at the babyface pro. but two things holding be back. i dont need than many ins and outs. will never record a fully miced drummer.
It doesn't have that many ins and outs, it's an option just in case. I don't think that anyone who buys Fireface UFX+ uses all 188 channels. Babyface is portable, you can add ADAT to your studio, and detach it when you're travelling, instead of buying two interfaces.
By the way, Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS is not the same interface, FS is the new one from 2020 with clock system from ADI.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”