FabFilter Saturn 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FapFilter wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am I like it too (v1 that is). I'm sure i'll like v2 too, but i'm not in a hurry.

And to put things into perspective: in my experience, it seems like literally every single time something new arrives that's not a total dud, on GS it most certainly is “the best thing ever that trounces everything else there is, i've been waiting for something like this for 20 years, now finally it's here!“
And when the next plugin arrives a few months (sometimes down to just a few days) later, history repeats itself. Over and over again. Every. Single. Time.

Of course most stuff since 2010-2012 or so (sometimes even way before that) is very good, but you can't trust initial reception as being “THE truth“

Oh and i forgot to mention: there are some exceptions, but generally it seems to help a lot over there when the products are of the expensive kind, while inexpensive stuff, or stuff with no photo realistic GUI of a Studer, API, or Empirical Labs, is often overlooked
Yes especially the users on the new product forum, they are impressed by every new emulation plugin that comes out. Many of them will seemingly forget that maybe a few weeks prior they had declared another UA, PA or AA plugin as the best thing ever. But the irony is that if you go into the electronic music board none of the cats there like virtual synths.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Cats?

Luckily we're much more sensible on KVR.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

v1o wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:47 pm on the new product forum, they are impressed by every new emulation plugin that comes out. Many of them will seemingly forget that maybe a few weeks prior they had declared another UA, PA or AA plugin as the best thing ever.
Are you sure of that? Do you know them by their user name or did you look up their posting history?

Gearslutz has a few members so it's theoretically fairly possible that it's actually different persons raving about different new products.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

No, but reading the New Products forum you can easily get that impression.

Funnily, in the Music Computer forums, Voxengo seems to get mentioned more than here.
That reminds me: i don't want to purchase any more plugins, but i've been meaning to at least demo the Marquis compressor since forever :oops:
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Definitely. On gs a lot of people who praise thr new stuff i also fell for it alot times sadly...
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

FapFilter wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:30 am No, but reading the New Products forum you can easily get that impression.

Funnily, in the Music Computer forums, Voxengo seems to get mentioned more than here.
That reminds me: i don't want to purchase any more plugins, but i've been meaning to at least demo the Marquis compressor since forever :oops:
...you will love the Marquis. :wink:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

loving the new GUI!

GUI aside I dig the new subtle & transformer algos.

Now I really want Volcano done with some of the same Saturn 2 GUI.

I like the immediacy you get soundwise.

The GUI is well done as well but the sound results from the algorithms seem very "solid" sounding and full in the low end.

Maybe its the oversampling?

Either way i like it!
:borg:

I just tried the demo - I like the new visuals, but the included presets are more ricidulous than ever… I guess they'll never learn. :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Very nice. Exciting.
Take care :wink:

jens wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:10 pm I just tried the demo - I like the new visuals, but the included presets are more ricidulous than ever… I guess they'll never learn. :shrug:
Hmm.. could you elaborate? As you see I provided quite a few of the presets. In what way are they ridiculous? Are they difficult to use? Any specifics?

Would be good to get some feedback on this. For instance in the Colour category I tested my presets on tons of sources. Drums, bass, vocals, various loops, cinematic textures, cinematic drums, synth leads, synth pads, synth basses, synth plucks.. also on a lot of different busses (vocal, drums, synth, mixbus). I put quite a lot of time on this so reading such blunt ridicule of the presets makes me scratch my head a bit.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I didn't test many of them to be honest (got bored and tired quickly) - tbh I simply did not find them very useable. MOst of the (very few) new guitar-amp ones do not even use the new algos, the volume is severely dropping, I think they do not at all use Saturn's abilities creatively and such... frankly put, to me they do not really appear as much effort, thought, time and ear went into creating them.

Sorry, that's just my opinion - I do mean no offense however I also see how I probably can't avoid it. :oops:

Well.. I made only a single guitar amp preset and it does use the new amps.. so I guess you tried only the other presets then.

Most of my presets are in the Color and FX category and at least in my completely biased opinion they are using things quite creatively. :)
jens wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:02 pm Sorry, that's just my opinion - I do mean no offense however I also see how I probably can't avoid it. :oops:
Well, you are "jens".. offensive and brutal word choices is your memo so I don't really ever take your opinion all that seriously. So no harm done. :wink:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Effects”