FabFilter Saturn 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:40 pm Well.. I made only a single guitar amp preset and it does use the new amps.. so I guess you tried only the other presets then.

Most of my presets are in the Color and FX category and at least in my completely biased opinion they are using things quite creatively. :)
jens wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:02 pm Sorry, that's just my opinion - I do mean no offense however I also see how I probably can't avoid it. :oops:
Well, you are "jens".. offensive and brutal word choices is your memo so I don't really ever take your opinion all that seriously. So no harm done. :wink:
Is it really? :oops:

Neither do I take myself very serious usually, so that's quite adequate then, I'd say. :lol:

I have to check out yours then. As I said I (more or less randomly) tried a few (perhaps ten or so) and didn't assume my impression would improve from trying more, so there's that...

there's some cool stuff you can do with Saturn - would have wanted to see some of it...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:02 pm I didn't test many of them to be honest (got bored and tired quickly) - tbh I simply did not find them very useable. MOst of the (very few) new guitar-amp ones do not even use the new algos, the volume is severely dropping, I think they do not at all use Saturn's abilities creatively and such... frankly put, to me they do not really appear as much effort, thought, time and ear went into creating them.

Sorry, that's just my opinion - I do mean no offense however I also see how I probably can't avoid it. :oops:
Why in the world would you criticize presets without even trying the presets?

Oh, right ... KVR. Carry on.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

So in order to be able to comment on them I have to try each single one of them? Really? oO

bmanic, yours are quite good I must say - especially Dynamic Warm Transformer and Transit I find great and super-useful! :tu:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:29 pm So in order to be able to comment on them I have to try each single one of them? Really? oO

bmanic, yours are quite good I must say - especially Dynamic Warm Transformer and Transit I find great and super-useful! :tu:
"I didn't test many of them to be honest (got bored and tired quickly)" - jens

The best service you're providing here is keeping this thread near the top, reminding people to check out FabFilter Saturn 2 for themselves. Hard to argue that your posts don't have some positive impact.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Woot got a huge discount on Volcano 2 after buying Saturn 2 wasn't expecting that I wasn't going to get Volcano until they update its GUI to full screen like Saturn 2. It's use on electronic keyboards is what really sold me.

Ah just realized that's if I buy them all, it auto selected all plugins and then showed the price. Still though it's good to know they reduce the price as one buys more.
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Tue May 26, 2020 1:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

billcarroll wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:02 pm
jens wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:29 pm So in order to be able to comment on them I have to try each single one of them? Really? oO

The best service you're providing here is keeping this thread near the top, reminding people to check out FabFilter Saturn 2 for themselves. Hard to argue that your posts don't have some positive impact.

Nice mixed quoting technique... :hihi:

You see, Billy, it may well be that you did not really manage to grasp my point, but that of course has no influence whatsoever on its validity.

I will try to break it down for you here (nice guy that I am):

I tried about ten presets. My personal impression of these was uniformly, that they were leaving quite something to be desired in the quality-managment departement.

Now it is the case that I already own a few FF plugins, so I am used to this with FF plugins.

My impression is that in the past FF released any presets the beta-testers threw at them (for whatever reason they may have ever thrown them at all) and trying out these Saturn 2 presets that I DID indeed try, my impression also is, that in regards to this not much has changed.
Hence my "I guess they'll l never learn.
And while some things may be a matter of taste, others, such as significant volume differences (active vs bypassed) are not.
And how many other great presets of the utmost professional quality there may ever be in there, those I tried were still less than optimal in my book, and thus I don't need to try any additional ones in order to make up my mind in regards to whether I think their quality-management concearning presets has significantly improved or not.

Please let me know whether you are able to grasp this or not Billy. I have a little kid, so I have my tricks when it comes to explaining difficult stuff...

jens wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 pm
billcarroll wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:02 pm

Nice mixed quoting technique... :hihi:

You see, Billy, it may well be that you did not really manage to grasp my point, but that of course has no influence whatsoever on its validity.

I will try to break it down for you here (nice guy that I am):

I tried about ten presets. My personal impression of these was uniformly, that they were leaving quite something to be desired in the quality-managment departement.

Now it is the case that I already own a few FF plugins, so I am used to this with FF plugins.

My impression is that in the past FF released any presets the beta-testers threw at them (for whatever reason they may have ever thrown them at all) and trying out these Saturn 2 presets that I DID indeed try, my impression also is, that in regards to this not much has changed.
Hence my "I guess they'll l never learn.
And while some things may be a matter of taste, others, such as significant volume differences (active vs bypassed) are not.
And how many other great presets of the utmost professional quality there may ever be in there, those I tried were still less than optimal in my book, and thus I don't need to try any additional ones in order to make up my mind in regards to whether I think their quality-management concearning presets has significantly improved or not.

Please let me know whether you are able to grasp this or not Billy. I have a little kid, so I have my tricks when it comes to explaining difficult stuff...
You've written a book? Do tell.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Billy, I appreciate that to you a couple of sentences appear like a whole book, but believe me: they're not, Billy.

jens wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:38 pm Billy, I appreciate that to you a couple of sentences appear like a whole book, but believe me: they're not, Billy.
I'm guessing you started writing a book but got bored and tired quickly? Totally understand, especially given the writing was leaving quite something to be desired in the "quality-managment departement" [sic].

I hear ya, Jenschen ;)
Last edited by billcarroll on Mon May 25, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Social distancing please.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:46 pm Social distancing please.
Fine. Bring civility to it. You really know how to ruin a good party.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Made a new preset and also a modification to my program dependent compressor. It's working quite nicely on various individual instruments and what not. The controls of the compressor is a bit fiddly.. I've yet to find sensible ranges for the controls so it's best to open up the first envelope follower and look at it's modulated graphics to figure out what is going on. Sorry about that.. will try to make better ranges in the future but for now this at least should be able to cover both fast and very slow settings.

The mixbus processing preset is meant to be mixed into. Let me know if it works for you guys. So far I've done 3 quick mixes and it seems to be working quite well on various material regardless of genre (would not perhaps use it on very delicate material though).

Link to the extra presets: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H0Le9 ... GVvGTD2IYR
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

^Nice!

I also upgraded to V2. ~34 € = a pretty pretty pretty good price... :)

:tu:

Return to “Effects”