3%
Standalone
5%
Other formats
2%

Total votes: 281

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vst3, works flawlessly, never ever had issue with such format.

Personally, I mostly stick to VST2/3
Take care :wink:

VST3 but, please, correctly implemented (same plugin ID as the corresponding VST2), so it can replace the VST2 and old projects open without problems.

VST2 as i personally see no real benefits in VST3, other than Steinberg users also receiving the same benefits everyone else has with VST2.
I can of course live with plugs being VST3, but as long as VST2 installs are included, i will install just the latter.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:19 pm VST2 as i personally see no real benefits in VST3, other than Steinberg users also receiving the same benefits everyone else has with VST2.
Like what?
Last edited by pixel85 on Mon May 25, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VST3
- It installs in one always the same folder: no fuss with installers that install a plugin in some random folder (not to mention those that doesn't even have the option to choose destination)
- Dynamic I/O: easier work with multi-output plugins like Kontakt
- Audio In for Instruments (unfortunately not as popular as it should be)
- A plugin is automatically disabled when doesn't process any sound (saving CPU!)
Last edited by pixel85 on Mon May 25, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pixel85 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:25 pm
FapFilter wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:19 pm VST2 as i personally see no real benefits in VST3, other than Steinberg users also receiving the same benefits everyone else has with VST2.
Like what?
Sorry, tired at the moment.

What immediately comes to mind is the obvious side chaining support. There were a few other “pro VST3 points“ that actually work beautifully in VST2 land aswell. In fact, when i once compared both feature lists long time ago, i didn't really see anything in VST3 that was really worth it for me, but of course there were a few features that VST2 didn't have.
I just didn't care for those, like at all

I don't understand this debate.
In most cases we are handcuffed to a particular plugin format by our DAW of choice.
What difference does it make that I have some sort of philosophical affinity for VST3 if I can only use AU in Logic?

And I'm sure most Protools users will somehow come to the conclusion that AAX serves their needs best, right?

I suppose there can be some kind of debate between VST2 and VST3 but eventually even that will be a moot point.

I would love it if the industry would coalesce around one format but unfortunately the end users will not have much say over the matter (since almost no one will choose their DAW based primarily on plugin format) and with some of the biggest players using proprietary formats there is not much hope.

AUv3 is not on the list :-)

I wanna know what the "Standalone" folks do for a workflow.

I use AU (in Logic) and 64 bit VST2 (in Renoise and Reason, since they doesn't support VST3 yet).

Renoise supports AU and VST2, but I prefer VST2, because it enables to open same projects on Windows.

Don't care for standalone.

Introspective wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm I wanna know what the "Standalone" folks do for a workflow.
I use the standalone-version of the synth for life-performance and jam-sessions

pixel85 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:30 pm VST3
- It installs in one always the same folder: no fuss with installers that install a plugin in some random folder (not to mention those that doesn't even have the option to choose destination)
that's actually a showstopper with VST3 for me. I'm in charge of my hard disk organisation thanks. (It's also a showstopper for plugins with no option, too. Except one I can't live without...)

yes, i also see standalone as some nice plus sometimes, but it's definetly not my preferred option

Local Man wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:44 pm I don't understand this debate.
In most cases we are handcuffed to a particular plugin format by our DAW of choice.
What difference does it make that I have some sort of philosophical affinity for VST3 if I can only use AU in Logic?

And I'm sure most Protools users will somehow come to the conclusion that AAX serves their needs best, right?

I suppose there can be some kind of debate between VST2 and VST3 but eventually even that will be a moot point.

I would love it if the industry would coalesce around one format but unfortunately the end users will not have much say over the matter (since almost no one will choose their DAW based primarily on plugin format) and with some of the biggest players using proprietary formats there is not much hope.
It's not really a debate. The poll has multiple choices, if you want them.
I think the idea is for everyone to mark the format(s) they use or would like to use, personally, to inform Markus which formats he should focus on going forward.

But that also makes it a future-looking poll, and as such I think anyone choosing VST2, and my lord, 32-bit, is not really looking to moving forward in the future, as a musician or as a person.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Instruments”