Most "famous" romplers? Nexus and...?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I get it right, rompler is basically a sample player?
And Nexus is maybe the most famous VST Synth of this category?
Are there some other popular romplers?

Every synth that has it waveforms/instruments baked onto a rom chip is called a rompler , it's a portmanteau of the words sampler + rom ..in a sampler you load these instruments onto the ram /hd ...and you can even record :)
In a rompler all the instruments are already there , going from vintage , acoustic , and even single cycled waves ,tri saw sine m square etc
There are lot's of great rompler like the vintage roland stuff , integra etc... most rompler have extensive editing + synth capabilites , but are mostly laking true pulse width modulation and osc.sync .
Nexus is just a soft ware rompler with almost no editing capabilities , aimed at people who are NOT interested in sound synthesis ,.
If I were you I would wait until roland releases zenology + alll editing capabilities , or get omnisphere ( which is a rompler + fine synth )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Roland JV-1080, Korg M1, E-Mu proteus series... Have a poke around Vintage Synth Explorer for write-ups on loads of gear from that era.

Tannaliini wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:32 pm If I get it right, rompler is basically a sample player?
I would say SampleTank is the most popular, by an order of magnitude.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Tannaliini wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:32 pm If I get it right, rompler is basically a sample player?
Nexus is the "most famous" software rompler for current electronic mainstream genres, but it's not the only one and the history of romplers is very long and I think the old Roland romplers are the "most famous" overall ...

...Omnisphere?

from the Omnisphere FAQ: :D

Hmmm...Is Omnisphere a "real" synthesizer or just a "rompler"?
Omnisphere is no rompler! It is a powerhouse synthesizer that competes with the finest hardware and software synths at any level. Omnisphere indeed has "real" DSP oscillators that allow Hard Sync, FM PWM, Waveshaping and much more. Its STEAM Engine• also excels at high definition sample streaming - the realtime manipulation features like Granular Synthesis, Harmonia, Timbre Shifting and Polyphonic Ring Modulation can also be applied to the sample oscillators.

https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/ ... re-faq.php

clipnotic wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:39 pm from the Omnisphere FAQ: :D

Omnisphere is no rompler! It is a powerhouse synthesizer that competes with the finest hardware and software synths at any level. Omnisphere indeed has "real" DSP oscillators that allow Hard Sync, FM PWM, Waveshaping and much more. Its STEAM Engine• also excels at high definition sample streaming - the realtime manipulation features like Granular Synthesis, Harmonia, Timbre Shifting and Polyphonic Ring Modulation can also be applied to the sample oscillators.

Ehm, I forgot :D

SamDi wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:42 pm

it's easy to forget since it started out as a rompler

Wow, a synth that runs on a steam engine! Isn't technology wonderful?

If you look at Native Instruments Komplete 12 all together as an "Instrument" it should also be considered a rompler given all the sampled sounds and huge array of sound categories. I think that makes NI the most famous rompler in practical usage.

Ploki wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 pm
SamDi wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:42 pm

it's easy to forget since it started out as a rompler
It never was a rompler.
Always had a synth engine and a sampler manipulating engine (treating samples as osc)
Sigh.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:37 pm
It never was a rompler.
Always had a synth engine and a sampler manipulating engine (treating samples as osc)
Sigh.
rsp
close enough to a rompler

Omnisphere is definitely part rompler, i.e. take a sample, warp it, make it a playable instrument, throw some effects on it etc. Omnisphere also includes an INCREDIBLE synth engine, behind a very poor interface imho, that makes 32 part sounds.

they certainly used to market it heavily as a rompler.
and still do. 16000 new presets

Return to “Instruments”