New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Palette for Arturia Pigments 2 Pigments 5

Droll= "amusing at best". It, along with Surge, Helm & Tunefish, remind me that we "get what we pay for". And is not really worth mentioning anymore on a thread about Pigments 2 except to a person posting on multiple threads about Union being better than everything. It's not. Pigments 2 has been working good for me. Your mix may vary.

BONES wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:59 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:37 amIt shows there is so much more music than what your style of songs expects... If you like working with it, let it lead you to new grounds and simply don‘t try to destroy it with what your band is used to deliver...
Only an idiot would let their instruments decide what kind of music they make, that's completely nuckin' futz. The music is what matters, the instruments are there to serve it, not the other way around.
I love musical idiots, their music is often more inspiring. Instruments can inspire and lead to new and different music and yes music is what matters. Of course if you are fixed to a style it has to be the other way around. I guess that is why guitars are so dominant in popular music, they serve those styles...
If BONES is calling me an idiot, I feel honoured... :hug: ; - )

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:27 am
PatchAdamz wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:48 pm A little Saturday tune, 100% Pigments 2 (minus drums):

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... pigments-2
Very nice. :tu:
Glad you like it, another tune 100% done with Pigments:

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... -2-presets

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:00 amI love musical idiots,
Kindred spirits, no doubt (musical or otherwise).
Instruments can inspire and lead to new and different music and yes music is what matters. Of course if you are fixed to a style it has to be the other way around.
Not at all. If it were, I wouldn't have bought any new instruments in the last 15 years. Buying new things can definitely be inspirational but it's bending them to your needs that does that, not blithely following someone else's ideas (developer and patch creators).
If BONES is calling me an idiot, I feel honoured... :hug: ; - )
Thereby proving the thesis.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Pigments is fun and inspirational. With granular synthesis it got much more relevant. Still, it could be easier on the CPU.

I think the argument above re instruments or musical ideas leading the other is ultimately a question of inspiration. For example, most early Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk pieces got their uniqueness because of inspiration from synths and samples (as Dave Gahan said in an interview, whenever they got into a new studio, the first thing they did was to go to the kitchen and throw kitchenware down the hallway stairs). Toto's Africa was based on an experience with the CS80, etc etc. The same was true for our synth group back in the day. I think - and in a way, hope - this is still true for most of us synth explorers. (...and with that, I hope we can get back on track.)

Finally, I think it's interesting how and why certain synths blend in better with mixes than other synths. I guess one reason is that if they are very rich on their own, it's harder to make them share space with other synths/instruments.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Is it possible to control the « playhead » of the sample ? I would like to achieve what you can do with Granulator but I can’t how to do it. Thank you !

uhm...yes..
you can modulate the "sample/grain - start" parameter with any modulator...

Yes but from the start point, how do you control the reading of the sample (I’d like to go half way of the sample then back and forward thanks to an env for example).

hmmm,
try it with a function curve

it it doesn't satisfy you, i'd suggest you contact arturia supprt
they seem to be open for suggestions and improvements

Thank you. I’ll try to ask them.

Quite impressive sounding stuff. I like how it sounds edgy and ripping but also somewhat warm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wakBPQvGiY

Aso the 303 example posted in another thread sounded very cool.

I was browsing various Pigments preset videos today, seems that it tends to have some nice warmth in its sound, not as digitally bright as Serum. Most of the videos seem to be focused on mellow pads and keys though, I'm curious if it's capable of more agressive sounding stuff (psytrance, hardstyle, D&B)

And can it do supersaws? ;)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

In avenger it's possible to control the playback with a curve in granular mode.
In pigments I don't know, I did not checked
SebAV wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am Thank you. I’ll try to ask them.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:33 am
BONES wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:18 am The thing with them, though, is that lots of the presets are way too wet.
Unfortunately a disease which seems to have infected too many manufacturers...
To judge a synth often the presets mislead. You have to dive into and start creating from scratch, or at least be able to switch off easily all the drowning FX.
The first thing I always have to do to make a sound playable for me is also to get rid of vibrato and most other lfo modulations. I want to play those myself...!
A point where Pigments shines, is to easily find how a modulation is made and how easy it is to remap them to my expressive controls...
Totally agree, the Pigments innovation is the interface ease of use. It's so inviting even with it's flaws...

dune_rave wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:08 pm In avenger it's possible to control the playback with a curve in granular mode.
In pigments I don't know, I did not checked
SebAV wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am Thank you. I’ll try to ask them.
Arturia support has been nice and answer my question and yes you can do it, but (?) you have to be in granular mode.

Two percussive Pigments patches, one using frame-drum samples with 4x round robin, the other using a Tom Tom with 2 velocity layers, plenty of FM/RM/filter action and more can be dialed in with the assigned Macros and the modulation wheel.

https://youtu.be/bN3YtfTBOrs

Return to “Instruments”