SSL Oxford Plugins - Does anyone Here use these?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

please report the pm
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:10 am please report the pm
I did

kenny saunders wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:29 pm
The guys a dick obviously, so just letting him know.

His amazingly helpful response of "No", then a bunch of misinformation!! What planet are you from?
You seem like a real uptight guy. In fact, so uptight like there's a broomstick stuck up your... :hihi:

And what misinformation exactly? The plugins are ages old and the code has mostly not been updated. The only thing that saw an update was the verb which was replaced by new product.

And in nowhere did I say these plugins are bad. But there are reasons why they are not that popular.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 am

His amazingly helpful response of "No", then a bunch of misinformation!! What planet are you from?
You seem like a real uptight guy. In fact, so uptight like there's a broomstick stuck up your... :hihi:

And what misinformation exactly? The plugins are ages old and the code has mostly not been updated. The only thing that saw an update was the verb which was replaced by new product.

And in nowhere did I say these plugins are bad. But there are reasons why they are not that popular.
There was nothing wrong with your post. Saunders did not even understand the point. He simply had no idea what you wrote about.

I demoed all of them and must say they sound very good, especially x comp, x eq2, x saturator and buss comp. Did some tests vs usual suspects and it sounded equally good and sometimes even better. Subscription is not my thing but perpetual licenses are too expensive, better look for 2nd hand if someone sells them.

HcDoom wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 am I demoed all of them and must say they sound very good, especially x comp, x eq2, x saturator and buss comp. Did some tests vs usual suspects and it sounded equally good and sometimes even better. Subscription is not my thing but perpetual licenses are too expensive, better look for 2nd hand if someone sells them.
I have been using BUS Compressor for a year, the version with HP filter but I sold it.
I liked its creamy sound and nice GUI but the action was not right to me. Definitely not an all-around compressor for everything.

HcDoom wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 am I demoed all of them and must say they sound very good, especially x comp, x eq2, x saturator and buss comp. Did some tests vs usual suspects and it sounded equally good and sometimes even better. Subscription is not my thing but perpetual licenses are too expensive, better look for 2nd hand if someone sells them.
X-EQ is nice.it's one of the tighest ITB parametrics i have in my arsenal.the earlier verb was done by Relab as well.i'm a bit of a Relab fanboy(it's leaning that way anyways)so i snapped it up the minute i found that out and its a really good hardly ever mentioned verb
X-phase is a ripoff to put it frankly and so is X-saturator.absolutely nothing special about those plugins
I

Googly Smythe wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:18 pm SSL are based in Oxford...
'Yeah, I know.' :) (I have enough of their software and hardware products to have picked that up at some point.) Thing is, SSL plugins aren't commonly referred to as 'Oxford' plugins, because that's what Sonnox plugins are commonly referred to, and Sonnox isn't SSL. Was just trying to figure out which it was, because searching for 'ssl oxford plugins' gave me ambiguous results.
kenny saunders wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:21 pm Well the channel strip and bus comp for £299. The PA strip is £289. Doubt SSL they have sales tho. I'll need to see if I really like the SSL or get the PA for cheap 2nd hand.
Googly Smythe wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:17 pm https://store.solidstatelogic.com/catalog/31
$329 for the channel strip. Reasonable? Do they have sales?
I don't find their full retail pricing 'reasonable' compared to that of competitive products on the market nowadays. On the other hand, they do offer a reasonably priced subscription, I think the Essentials bundle (Channel Strip & Bus Comp) for 5€/month or so, which amounts to 60€/year, so you can happily pay a few years of that before you end up anywhere close to the retail price. I don't recall ever having paid anything for updates or upgrades since I crossgraded to the Native v3 versions from my hardware Duende back in 2011, which doesn't feel like such a bad deal in the end. I know that they go on sale very rarely, because I picked up an additional Native Essentials license when it was discounted around Christmas/New Year a few years back. They'll very occasionally have their less hyped plugins (Drumstrip, Vocalstrip) on offer, think I picked one up a while back when it was discounted.
To me, the worst thing about the whole SSL plugin world is that they seem to still live in the 90s and only allow one measly activation to one hardware iLok key.
Apart from that, I use those plugins nearly every day and I like them a lot, probably because I know them inside out. If I dial something in with the plugins, I can be certain that the hardware will behave a similar way when I run my signals through it later, which is not something I can say about some other developers' SSL plugins. It doesn't matter to me how old the underlying code may be, just like an old guitar isn't necessarily a bad guitar. People seem to like the Focusrite Red Suite, which was a reskinned Midnight Suite, which was a reskinned Forté Suite, which was originally released in 2003 or so. (I faintly recall observing a series of nulling shootouts at the time) So 'old code' doesn't automatically have to be anything seriously wrong or bad. To be fair though, Focusrite plugins are priced accordingly.
poshook wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 am I have been using BUS Compressor [...] Definitely not an all-around compressor for everything.
It's not intended to be that. It's a bit of a one trick pony.
Confucamus.

Rockatansky wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:21 am
poshook wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:42 am I have been using BUS Compressor [...] Definitely not an all-around compressor for everything.
It's not intended to be that. It's a bit of a one trick pony.
Most of the SSL style BUS Compressors are versatile (The Glue, Waves, IKM...) so one could expected the same from SSL Native

Another regard from Saunders in my Sale thread...
He should be banned for sure
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jochicago wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:40 am We talk about SSL strips like once a month, this is a good thread to review
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=544708

Just wanted to add that the PA strips are not $hundreds. They typically go on sale for ~$50 or less, except for the latest one but it should go on a sale at some point this year.

And for Waves, the CLA Mixhub strip is very good. I think it uses IRs or something because otherwise I can't justify the massive CPU hit. Certainly in a different bracket compared to the original SSL strip from last decade. Probably mainly because they use way more CPU to play with for the newer version.

I don't have the old SSL but I have the CLA signature stuff that uses that console stuff as a sound platform, so I'm familiar with the sound, and the new one is much nicer - less gritty, less digital-harsh, a touch creamier, just smoother/natural overall and designed to respond well to abuse (crank things as hard as you want, it likes it). I haven't tried every single SSL thing out there but I cannot imagine anything sounds significantly better (most things probably can't match it, certainly not something made ~15 years ago).
When you say "the new one" what are you referring to?
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

robotmonkey wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 am

Well maybe your 1st reply was stupid. You know, where you just said "no". Or can you explain how that was good perhaps?
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

poshook wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:17 am
Hink wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:10 am please report the pm
I did
lol are you like 5 years old or something. You started being rude to me 1st, if I get it I give it back. So pathetic.

and you got your warning...no need for the abusiveness you have shown in just a few posts...anyhow locking this
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Effects”