Tone2 Saurus - Best of its price range?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can't save presets with the demo

Markus Krause wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:21 am The old versions indeed did lack some bass. But it has been fixed.
What does that even mean? Fixed implies it was merely a programming bug?
Just wondering because several synths have been claimed to lack bottom...

Great great interface - most things in one page. I have demo it a couple of days. And great browser. The sound i can't speak about because i am not knowledge enough. But i will buy it.

V2. 5 had a bug. The phase of the left channel and the right channel was not in sync. Sorry about this :(
v 1.x was lacking in the gain of the basic harmonic in general.
Unlike the completing products we were using true circuit-modeling instead of playing back just a wavetable-waveform. You can verify this for yourself - the competing products did create strange waveforms with lots of FFT-based ripple which is typical for wavetable-waveforms.
That's why many users experienced Saurus as les 'warm' and 'analog'. Beeing honest sadly has turned out as a bad marketing-decision for us...

I like it, except for a few things (e.g. I don't like the two displays in opposing corners of the GUI, I would have preferred one display in the center; no standard noise generator; I don't like knobs for envelopes, and those four knobs are not even arranged consistently for all three envelopes).
The sound's is pretty good and pleasant to me, I like its sound better than Diva's (because I don't really care about the faithful emulation of electrons :hihi: ).

But somehow Saurus never became nearly as popular as Diva...
Last edited by e-crooner on Wed May 27, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markus Krause wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:38 pm V2. 5 had a bug. The phase of the left channel and the right channel was not in sync. Sorry about this :(
Unlike the completing products we were using true circuit-modeling instead of playing back just a wavetable-waveform. You can verify this for yourself - the competing products did create strange waveforms with lots of FFT-based ripple which is typical for wavetable-waveforms.
That's why many users experienced Saurus as les 'warm' and 'analog'. Beeing honest sadly has turned out as a bad marketing-decision for us...
Oh, I see, I had not demoed it since version 2.0 or whatever it was, so I probably missed the phase bug :)

I agree that the missing noise-generator was a major flaw

Markus Krause wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:38 pm V2. 5 had a bug. The phase of the left channel and the right channel was not in sync. Sorry about this :(
Hmmmm.
Certainly my favourites ( Diva, Repro, Legend, Cypher 2, Strobe 2) are all advertisted as being modeled, but maybe you are speaking of some others.
But what I find surprising, is I have never associated wavetable waveforms with warm and analog sounding at all. They are actually notorious for NOT sounding analog or warm... from the PPG Wave2, Serum, Massive, Massive X, PhasePlant etc, (with possible exception of Wave2 which I believe had analog filters) are anything but warm or analog sounding.

And yes, I have spent years with 24/7 access to the JX-3P, OB-8 and Prophet 5 and spent countless hours playing and recording MiniMoogs and Jupiter 8's.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying.
rsp
sound sculptist

Markus Krause wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:52 pm I agree that the missing noise-generator was a major flaw
There is always 2.7 for that :)
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 pm
Hmmmm.
Certainly my favourites ( Diva, Repro, Legend, Cypher 2, Strobe 2) are all advertisted as being modeled, but maybe you are speaking of some others.
But what I find surprising, is I have never associated wavetable waveforms with warm and analog sounding at all. They are actually notorious for NOT sounding analog or warm... from the PPG Wave2, Serum, Massive, Massive X, PhasePlant etc, (with possible exception of Wave2 which I believe had analog filters) are anything but warm or analog sounding.

And yes, I have spent years with 24/7 access to the JX-3P, OB-8 and Prophet 5 and spent countless hours playing and recording MiniMoogs and Jupiter 8's.

rsp
I think technically Sylenth1, Hive etc. are also wavetable synths.

Hmmmm.

rsp
This is not to take anything away from Saurus, which is indeed a really good sounding synth.
rsp
sound sculptist

e-crooner wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:28 pm
Hmmmm.

rsp
I think technically Sylenth1, Hive etc. are also wavetable synths.

Hive I believe only added wavetable in 2.0, so I didn't include it as shall we say it built its initial rep as NOT being a wavetable synth. And I definitely wouldn't consider the sounds made my Hive's wavetable engine alone, analog sounding..
Are you sure Sylenth is a wavetable synth? That is news to me. The fact that it might have inspired Hive 1 which was not wavetable, also suggests to me it isn't. (Won't be the first or last time I am wrong though :))

rsp
sound sculptist

What I mean is that internally, Sylenth1 is a wavetable synth because it doesn't create the waveform for every key you play. Instead it has 2 samples of, say, a saw per octave. Depending on the note you play, a different sample is loaded and transposed.
Hive has three such samples per octave, if I remember correctly.

e-crooner wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:40 pm What I mean is that internally, Sylenth1 is a wavetable synth because it doesn't create the waveform for every key you play. Instead it has 2 samples of, say, a saw per octave. Depending on the note you play, a different sample is loaded and transposed.
Hive has three such samples per octave, if I remember correctly.
What you are describing sounds exactly like sample playback.
I don't think either of them do that.
I am interested to see the link where you go this info.
rsp
sound sculptist

I don't have a link, I read it somewhere a long time ago.
I am not even sure that is what Markus is referring to.

Return to “Instruments”