My mixing, now with reverb. What do you think?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EDIT: GO TO THE END OF THE THREAD AND LISTEN TO THE NEW SONGS PLEASE

I wasn't doing reverb!

I don't expect you to listen to the whole song (the songs are probably too long for your taste, and feel free to skip through it), but i'd like to know what you think about the mixdown.

The first song is mostly ambient. The second song is some sort of retro techno. The third and fourth songs are techno. I put the songs into this order so that it is more palatable, despite the length of the songs, for people listening to it on the music tracker.
Last edited by Spring Goose on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well. There were some good parts. I don't have much to say about the reverb. It's quite minimal. You don't say what kind you used. Not sure if you wanted comments about it? I found the second song hard on my ears. It has the same thing going the entire time. It was repetitive but also downright painful after a while to my ears. Third song its suddenly too loud at 3:48. They are all in general very very minimalistic. Like more so than I've ever heard. Had some good moments. I like the reverb stuff in the first. That sound that was too loud just needs to be not so loud and perhaps with more reverb. Also using a very soft delay can give the same kind of body as using reverb. Last one had some good stuff. But all in all, too repetitive and too minimalistic for me. Is there some kind of music like this that's popular you can link to? Very minimalistic techno? It's just not something I really listen to.

Thanks mate.
Well i'll need to go back and look at shortening the songs and perhaps putting more into the arrangement. I've gotta be careful because when you start adding risers and such it's a fine line whether you're getting into EDM territory. But it is minimal and supposed to be minimal. You could look at the Fabric series of cds for techno and tech-house. There's a 100 cds, but i don't know specifically which cds are like this. I've still got a way to go. I'm making a lot of new songs and i'm working on my mixdowns, then later i expect i'll have to revise and rework the songs, they probably are a bit too minimal. I don't have any difficulty listening to the songs, but i thought that other people could struggle with it. So it's the bassline of the second song which hurt your ears (very sorry about that). I take it you listened on headphones? I'll try drop that sound you mentioned in the 3rd song some decibels. I didn't pick these 4 songs as "best" or "favourite", i've got about 75 new/recent songs which need mixdowns and i'm doing it alphabetically! These were the first songs which i'd given reverb to in the mix, just chance.
Thanks for the tip about delay.
You can try this. This is one of my favourites but you understand i'm not specifically trying to make stuff like this. I'm not copying it in any way. I usually make songs with an empty mind, not thinking much, and then see what i come up with.
https://youtu.be/ZoTKZld1IgU

empphryio wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:28 am I don't have much to say about the reverb. It's quite minimal. You don't say what kind you used. Not sure if you wanted comments about it?
Well yeah i wanted to know if it sounds alright/"proper"! I've used 2 reverbs for blend and for size/space. I've been trying different reverbs. These were Melda MReverbMB and Exponential Audio Phoenixverb. Also i have reverbs by NI and Arturia. It's the first time i've used reverb in the mix. I've only been mixing since about 8 month ago, and i didn't have any kind of instruction till a few weeks ago. You said the reverb is "minimal" so yeah that's great, you've gave me something to think about.

You want to have reverb/delay, saturation/distortion, compression, and EQ on pretty much everything. Though often very light. Good free stuff: reverbs are Valhalla Supermassive, OrilRiver and Dragonfly Hall. EQs are Luftikus and Marvel GEQ. TDR Kotelnikov is a good free compressor.
Listening to Marcel. Yep, it's minimal like I haven't really listened to much. And sounds good. Not repetitive. Changing up a ton. It might be good for you to go through something like that and determine how many new elements are added every minute or something like that and then compare it to yours. Also it's not a bad at all to occasionally really try to recreate what someone did. Learn a lot that way.

empphryio wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:01 am You want to have reverb/delay, saturation/distortion, compression, and EQ on pretty much everything. Though often very light. Good free stuff: reverbs are Valhalla Supermassive, OrilRiver and Dragonfly Hall. EQs are Luftikus and Marvel GEQ. TDR Kotelnikov is a good free compressor.
Listening to Marcel. Yep, it's minimal like I haven't really listened to much. And sounds good. Not repetitive. Changing up a ton. It might be good for you to go through something like that and determine how many new elements are added every minute or something like that and then compare it to yours. Also it's not a bad at all to occasionally really try to recreate what someone did. Learn a lot that way.
OK i'll take your advice and give it another shot tomorrow or thursday. Cheers! :)

empphryio wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:01 am You want to have reverb/delay, saturation/distortion, compression, and EQ on pretty much everything.
in this order? or in which order? cheers

I think Marvel GEQ is causing comb-filtering when i export the song on Reason 10.4. It isn't during playback, it's only when i bounce/export it.
I did a process of elimination to determine which plug, if any, is/are causing the comb filtering.
Mike Senior in "Mixing secrets for the small studio" says about it "thing to be aware of with parallel compression .. is that you can easily run into comb-filtering problems if the compressor delays the processed signal. This is an ever-present danger in digital systems where analog-to-digital conversion and DSP processing both have the potential to incur short latency delays. .. it nonetheless pays to be aware that some plug-ins don't declare their latency to the host software properly"
Apparently it's Marvel GEQ causing the comb-filtering, because when i bypass Marvel GEQ the problem is fixed.
Here is my 2nd mix of Aciieeed, following the instructions:
https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/s ... GLt9AYgcOA

Not necessarily in that order.

Marvel GEQ is an EQ not a compressor. Not sure why you're using the term comb filter but it's possible that effect doesn't work on your system. I prefer luftikus anyway for boosting and its analog emulation.

And the order can vary and sometimes you put them on individual instances or sometimes the master. I mainly use heavier compression on drums in individual instances (ratio 4/1 or higher) and maybe 2/1:on master.
Boosting analoglike EQ at end of chain on master (except for limiter). Cutting digital EQ occasionally in individual instances but you can boost individual instances sometimes.
I usually reverb and saturate individual instances instead of master.

If all on master, what I do is
1. Saturate
2. Reverb
3. Compress
4. EQ
5. Limit
But that's just me. I like loudmax for limiting. I also use reaper stock plugins sometimes.

empphryio wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:36 am Not necessarily in that order.

Marvel GEQ is an EQ not a compressor. Not sure why you're using the term comb filter but it's possible that effect doesn't work on your system. I prefer luftikus anyway for boosting and its analog emulation.
Thanks.

I thought that effect/sound is called "comb filtering" when two channels with approximately the same material, one with a small delay.

Yeah i know Marvel GEQ is an eq, but it wasn't the compressor causing the problem it was GEQ in the chain causing the problem. I haven't tried luftikus yet. I don't mind trying these freeware but i have quite a few paid for EQs, compressors, channel strips, and reverbs.

I noticed on that Marcel Dettmann DJmix that some of the reverbs sound like outer-space or an irregular (not normal) space or room. I have Eventide Blackhole and i have Reaktor and presumably Supermassive might do this type of reverb, but i'm not sure it's right for these songs but maybe for other songs i will make.

empphryio wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:49 am And the order can vary and sometimes you put them on individual instances or sometimes the master. I mainly use heavier compression on drums in individual instances (ratio 4/1 or higher) and maybe 2/1:on master.
Boosting analoglike EQ at end of chain on master (except for limiter). Cutting digital EQ occasionally in individual instances but you can boost individual instances sometimes.
I usually reverb and saturate individual instances instead of master.

If all on master, what I do is
1. Saturate
2. Reverb
3. Compress
4. EQ
5. Limit
But that's just me. I like loudmax for limiting. I also use reaper stock plugins sometimes.
Thanks for explaining this. Thanks for your help/interest.

i grew quit bored of it fairly quickly, reverb used or not.
all of your "songs" are repetitive and boring. no matter how good the mix is. :shrug:
work on song structure, arrangement, chord progressions and melodies. :idea:
Last edited by layzer on Wed May 27, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Yes supermassive can do interesting things. Automating it on some of those tracks might be good.

Return to “Music Cafe”