My mixing, now with reverb. What do you think?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Googly Smythe wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:54 pm
The op keeps talking about club environments,
No i don't.

Wagtunes told me to continue putting my songs up in KVR Music Cafe. Now Wagtunes told me to stop, so i'll stop.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm Wagtunes told me to continue putting my songs up in KVR Music Cafe. Now Wagtunes told me to stop, so i'll stop.
why? hes not the boss of the cafe.
if you want to share, share if not dont.

vurt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:23 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm Wagtunes told me to continue putting my songs up in KVR Music Cafe. Now Wagtunes told me to stop, so i'll stop.
Thanks Vurt.

I did not tell him to stop. Read what I said to him. He hears what he wants to hear.

Several people have tried to tell him what's wrong with his music but he doesn't want to listen. I personally don't care if he posts his music here or not. I've tried to help him. I've probably listened to more of his posts than anyone else here. But he's even more stubborn than I was, so I'm done.

I need to rework all of my songs, regard arrangement, length, interest/excitement. I know that, but i said i'll do it in my own time. I'm thinking about it. I can't do things which i don't know how to do. In the meantime you told me to carry on putting my songs up here.

wagtunes wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:28 pm
I did not tell him to stop. Read what I said to him. He hears what he wants to hear.

You practically told me that i should give up music! "i could train a 5 year old to do better"
"repetitive and boring x 1000000 (one million)"

yup, my point was even if you had, the decision is his, not anyone else. not to blame you if he didnt post.

googly raised a good point, what works in a club, wont necessarily work for sitting at home, especially for people who dont go clubbing.

minimal techno is difficult anyway, to keep something so minimal but interesting, that's why theres very few "greats" from the genre, not everyone can!

vurt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:41 pm

yup, my point was even if you had, the decision is his, not anyone else. not to blame you if he didnt post.

googly raised a good point, what works in a club, wont necessarily work for sitting at home, especially for people who dont go clubbing.

minimal techno is difficult anyway, to keep something so minimal but interesting, that's why theres very few "greats" from the genre, not everyone can!
Exactly. I wouldn't even attempt it and I have a music degree. Minimal Techno is one of the most difficult things to make interesting. I am in awe of those who can pull it off.

Googly Smythe wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:56 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:14 pm ...The thing is with this genre that SOUND is everything, if you haven't got good SOUND then you haven't got a good song (yet) have you? ...
'Nuff said.
My point is: how do you know if its a good song ("track") or not if it doesn't have the good sound yet?

Spring Goose wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:38 pm I need to rework all of my songs, regard arrangement, length, interest/excitement. I know that, but i said i'll do it in my own time. I'm thinking about it. I can't do things which i don't know how to do. In the meantime you told me to carry on putting my songs up here.
You're going to find it easier going through life if you don't find passive-aggressive ways to misinterpret people – especially when they have good intentions.

The bold bit is the problem.

From what I can tell, you're making some grand assumptions about the way dance music works and because of them, you've gone piling up a blind alley full-throttle.

I've played through a few of the pieces posted here and they have one fundamental issue: they don't groove. I get the impression you're looking at making these tracks as though it's just assembling a kit of parts. Four-on-floor beat, percussion 1, percussion 2, hats, arp, bass. Stick them all together, do some mixing and bingo! Dance magic.

The fact you've got X hundred tracks is a symptom of this. The unfortunate reality is that music of any kind but dance more than anything relies on the interplay between elements. Move things around and they either work or don't work. Rick Snoman's old videos (or Mr Bill or someone like that for more recent stuff) are instructive because of the sheer amount of arse-grinding attention to detail they use. Sometimes they'll agonise over the micro-placement of elements only to then throw them away because it wasn't quite working.

You're focused on surface details (post more tracks, post fewer tracks, pan this, EQ that) when the core question you need to answer is: does this groove? If it's not grooving, why not? If you remove things, does it groove better? If you move things around, does it groove better? And it's not simply a matter of applying swing or a groove template (though that might help).

Once you've got that, things like arrangement and mixing are going to come a lot more easily because the moves will to some extent suggest themselves in terms of "need more tension here", "need to make it more laid back there". Right now, your arrangements seem almost random (like the dub one, which just seems to stop and start for no reason).

Try to work out how Marcel Dettman can combine a kick with some background noise and still have something that's danceable (hint: there are tiny elements that follow the kick that make it sound as though it's bouncing in some way). It's not a skill anyone learns overnight (should they wish to). Maybe you think this stuff is easy because the final sound seems so basic and simple. It isn't. Simple but good is frickin' hard.

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:11 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:38 pm I need to rework all of my songs, regard arrangement, length, interest/excitement. I know that, but i said i'll do it in my own time. I'm thinking about it. I can't do things which i don't know how to do. In the meantime you told me to carry on putting my songs up here.
You're going to find it easier going through life if you don't find passive-aggressive ways to misinterpret people – especially when they have good intentions.

The bold bit is the problem. Every other bit of feedback you're getting is surface detail, though each bit of feedback is getting to the core of the problem.

From what I can tell, you're making some grand assumptions about the way dance music works and because of them, you've gone piling up a blind alley full-throttle.

I've played through a few of the pieces posted here and they have one fundamental issue: they don't groove. I get the impression you're looking at making these tracks as though it's just assembling a kit of parts. Four-on-floor beat, percussion 1, percussion 2, hats, arp, bass. Stick them all together, do some mixing and bingo! Dance magic.

The fact you've got X hundred tracks is a symptom of this. The unfortunate reality is that music of any kind but dance more than anything relies on the interplay between elements. Move things around and they either work or don't work. Rick Snoman's old videos (or Mr Bill or someone like that for more recent stuff) are instructive because of the sheer amount of arse-grinding attention to detail they use. Sometimes they'll agonise over the micro-placement of elements only to then throw them away because it wasn't quite working.

You're focused on surface details (post more tracks, post fewer tracks, pan this, EQ that) when the core question you need to answer is: does this groove? If it's not grooving, why not? If you remove things, does it groove better? If you move things around, does it groove better? And it's not simply a matter of applying swing or a groove template (though that might help).

Once you've got that, things like arrangement and mixing are going to come a lot more easily because the moves will to some extent suggest themselves in terms of "need more tension here", "need to make it more laid back there". Right now, your arrangements seem almost random (like the dub one, which just seems to stop and start for no reason).

Try to work out how Marcel Dettman can combine a kick with some background noise and still have something that's danceable (hint: there are tiny elements that follow the kick that make it sound as though it's bouncing in some way). It's not a skill anyone learns overnight (should they wish to). Maybe you think this stuff is easy because the final sound seems so basic and simple. It isn't. Simple but good is frickin' hard.
1/ I didn't want to model my tracks on Marcel Dettmann or another producer or another DJ's tracks.

2/ How am I passive aggressive? (not a rhetorical question). Layzer started it being aggressive then Wagtunes followed up very aggressive. I responded during the aftermath of their aggression. Explain to me please because i don't understand.

3/ I'm sure you don't have 50 minutes to invest to listening to this. I'm listening now. I've been listening 30 minutes. https://soundcloud.com/ user-492255322/sets/spring-goose-dj-set-jan-2020 (delete the spaces in the link, afaik i'm not supposed to put a direct link to dj mix in KVR Music Cafe). It does groove. Maybe me and you just don't like the same music. Maybe you'd rather (like many people who complaining) listening to some different music, because this ain't your cup of tea. You're the first person now who mentioned "groove", somebody else asked for "melody and chord progressions", but i'm confident you don't have 50 minutes to listen to this short DJmix. Yeah the mixing isn't perfect, but that's ok because people don't want a robot, people want "human".

Thanks for your reply. I don't understand what you mean "the bold bit is the problem". The problem that i don't know what to do? Funny you mentioned Rick Snoman, i received his book "Dance Music Manual" last week.

I wasn't but Wagtunes said my mixdowns are crap (twice), so i bought a book for that.

Thanks for the advice mate.

It seemed to me that he was the aggressor. "all your music is boring x 1000000 (one million)" he said. Is/was that constructive?

I don't think i was being passive aggressive. Do you misunderstand what i said?

I said "I'm unable to do things which i don't know how to do". What's the panic? What's the rush? Why are/were they being so aggressive?

The bold bit is the problem.

I'm not sure you're right. I know what i like, and i dance (a lot). Or at least i used to (dance, a lot) until this fibromyalgia causing almost constant pain worsened.

Return to “Music Cafe”