I'm Sorry (Who Are You)? Retro EDM / Synthpop... feedback welcome...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My latest adventure into retro / synthpop. Hope you enjoy it.
Feedback on mixing, arrangement, etc, always welcome.
Mixing sounded different on my speakers vs my headphones, and Soundcloud manhandled the high frequencies as usual. Oh well....
https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132 ... ho-are-you
Lyrics
I'm so sorry, sorry,
I'm going to have to spoil their party
And bring them the news today

Please don't worry, worry,
There's no need to hurry, hurry,
Everyone has a judgement day, some day

They're always right, they never admit they're wrong
They can't hear your voice, they think they're too strong

Who are you, to tell me wrong from right?
Who are you, for showing me the light?
Who do you think you are now?

I'm so sorry, sorry,
I'll miss your award ceremonies
and miss your speechs today

Please don't worry, worry,
I think its part of your journey
Your eyes'll be opened one day, some day
Last edited by Bansaw on Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

So like as soon as it comes on, I'm thinking to myself "It's like watching MTV again."

One of these days, you gotta teach me how you do these amazing 80s arrangements and mixes. I notice there are all these little things going on in the background and they all add to the whole experience, especially those very soft background vocals.

Ever think of doing a video showing your whole process? I think it would be a fascinating watch.

wagtunes wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:41 pm So like as soon as it comes on, I'm thinking to myself "It's like watching MTV again."

One of these days, you gotta teach me how you do these amazing 80s arrangements and mixes. I notice there are all these little things going on in the background and they all add to the whole experience, especially those very soft background vocals.

Ever think of doing a video showing your whole process? I think it would be a fascinating watch.
Thanks @wags for the comment and encouragement.
My arrangement skills took a boost a couple of months ago when I studied what Max Martin was doing in his arrangements. Definitely was a help to introduce some of the concepts he was using.
The background vocals are EastWest Backup singers. I've enjoyed using them, and I sometimes just jam along to them and get inspired. I think two of the singers work with Pink Floyd, so they're quality vocalists.

Bansaw wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:17 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:41 pm So like as soon as it comes on, I'm thinking to myself "It's like watching MTV again."

Thanks @wags for the comment and encouragement.
My arrangement skills took a boost a couple of months ago when I studied what Max Martin was doing in his arrangements. Definitely was a help to introduce some of the concepts he was using.
The background vocals are EastWest Backup singers. I've enjoyed using them, and I sometimes just jam along to them and get inspired. I think two of the singers work with Pink Floyd, so they're quality vocalists.
Okay, where did you go to study this stuff? Was their a video series that explained what he does or did you just pick it up from listening to his productions?

wagtunes wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:20 pm Okay, where did you go to study this stuff? Was their a video series that explained what he does or did you just pick it up from listening to his productions?
I watched a number of videos, probably ten from this list:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... rrangement
And then I took one of his songs and just sat down with a pen and paper and analysed what exactly was going on between each section. What instruments were in the verse (the density), what is added or taken away in the pre-chorus, what is added in the chorus. The pitch of the melody in the verse in contrast to the chorus. etc. How he transitioned between sections.
You'll notice that this song "I'm Sorry..." and "Take Me Round..." (my previous song) have a pre-chorus. The rest of my songs prior to that don't. This is a major change brought about by analyzing MM, for example.

Bansaw wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:59 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:20 pm Okay, where did you go to study this stuff? Was their a video series that explained what he does or did you just pick it up from listening to his productions?
I watched a number of videos, probably ten from this list:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... rrangement
And then I took one of his songs and just sat down with a pen and paper and analysed what exactly was going on between each section. What instruments were in the verse (the density), what is added or taken away in the pre-chorus, what is added in the chorus. The pitch of the melody in the verse in contrast to the chorus. etc. How he transitioned between sections.
You'll notice that this song "I'm Sorry..." and "Take Me Round..." (my previous song) have a pre-chorus. The rest of my songs prior to that don't. This is a major change brought about by analyzing MM, for example.
Gotcha. Okay, time to go study Max Martin. :lol:

PRO stuff again. enjoyed from start to end. quality :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I hope this is taken how I mean it...…..a compliment! The production is superb , but what really struck me was the Human League feel (love H.L.)

@layzer - thanks for the comment again, pleased you liked it! : )
@karma_tba - good to get a compliment from you, I know you are honest, and didn't like my last one much. Human League, I'll take that. Depeche Mode, Human League... etc. all bands I liked to listen to when a kid.

Bansaw,
Thank you for the reviews! I wouldn't mind if you sent me a reminder message regarding that I might I owe you review or two. Now your song: female vocals sound very good. Male vocals: I like the tone of the vocals, though a little pitchy at times; sounded better with a second listen. Instrumentally sounds nice: nice synths & drums. Nice song; sounds quite 80's, which is fine by me. Nice job. :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Nice tune well done but it's really the vocals that stand out to me. You really nailed the vocal vibe that makes your songs sound so familiar.

@aaron, thanks bro, appreciate the feedback.
@MRT, I do work on the vocals to get them sounding better. Use melodyne and a lot of sauce from Nectar & CLA. thanks.

Bansaw,
You've probably heard about Melodyne 5; I've tried it a bit (trial version). I plan on paying the $49 to buy it (upgrade my Assistant). I haven't used it enough to say for sure, though it seems like less work now to get the pitch correct. I'm actually more sold on the new volume functions so far.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:27 am Bansaw,
You've probably heard about Melodyne 5; I've tried it a bit (trial version). I plan on paying the $49 to buy it (upgrade my Assistant). I haven't used it enough to say for sure, though it seems like less work now to get the pitch correct. I'm actually more sold on the new volume functions so far.
I've got Melodyne 5 Essential. I don't know if it will make a huge difference to be to upgrade to Assistant or Editor.

I get the impression it's only worth the money for Editor if you want to pitch correct polyphonic (like guitar playing, real piano) material. For me, paying for Assistant was worth it because of the vibrato control. My vibrato can be a bit out of control much of the time. I think you can try Editor for free for 30 days & decide yourself.

Return to “Music Cafe”