June Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so lets say one instrument...

absynth for example.
is it still one instrument if a second patch is loaded?

vurt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:41 pm so lets say one instrument...

absynth for example.
No. Only one instrument and one patch, if you want to use 1 sample that would be counted as one instrument
vurt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:40 pm :( that rules out my venusian vocalist.
You can use any vocalist you want.

:tu: just clarifying the one instrument :)

Hellfog wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 am
Forgotten wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 pm I would be up for just piano and vocal, or maybe to make it broader just one instrument and vocal?
Yes I think we do "one instrument and vocals"
OK. "One instrument and vocals"

Hellfog wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:34 pm
vurt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:21 pm do the vocals have to be human?
No, you can use a robot or samples
OK, synthesized or sampled voice is allowed

Hellfog wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:08 pm
vurt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:41 pm so lets say one instrument...

absynth for example.
No. Only one instrument and one patch, if you want to use 1 sample that would be counted as one instrument
Ok. One instrument means one instrument.... :neutral:

This is going to be really challenging, I like that
:tu:

Good theme for the brainrot of the lockdown. :tu:

I reckon I can motivate myself to do some droney-folkie shite on the electric I have here, and mumble some pretentious drivel over the top. I've got form... :hihi:

Isn't it customary to follow a month with relatively low participation with a theme that is Free-For-All-ish?

No.

What about an arranger keyboard style track?
I could use my Casio arranger keyboard.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:14 am What about an arranger keyboard style track?
The problem is, I seriously doubt anybody has an arranger keyboard. I know I don't. I haven't owned one of those things since I was a kid. So what you end up having to do is put together an arrangement of instruments manually and create a track, which isn't any different from what we're doing now.

Music Bird wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:14 am What about an arranger keyboard style track?
I'm not sure what an arranger keyboard style track is,?
rp314 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:56 pm Isn't it customary to follow a month with relatively low participation with a theme that is Free-For-All-ish?
I was thinking about Free Month before I discovered One Instrument theme.

Hellfog wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:45 am
I'm not sure what an arranger keyboard style track is,?
rp314 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:56 pm Isn't it customary to follow a month with relatively low participation with a theme that is Free-For-All-ish?
I was thinking about Free Month before I discovered One Instrument theme.
Back in the day they had these keyboard where you pulled up a preset and it would contain (usually the left hand side of the keyboard) a group of instruments. You'd hit one key in the bass and it would play all these instruments in a kind of backing track arrangement and then in the right hand you would play a melody.

If you were submitting an entry using guitar and vocal can the guitar play rhythm and a melody line/solo at the same time time as long as it uses the same amp settings?
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

beanpole wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:12 am If you were submitting an entry using guitar and vocal can the guitar play rhythm and a melody line/solo at the same time time as long as it uses the same amp settings?
Is it possible for a human being to play the two parts at the same time? If so, yes. If not, no.

For example. I can't play piano that well. There are things a pianist can do that I can't do at one sitting like play an arpeggio with the left hand and chords with the right hand. So I would have to have two instances of the piano to pull this off. It would still be considered one instrument because an actual human who could play well COULD do this. It is physically possible.

So as long as the two parts are physically possible to play at the same time, then yes, you can have both parts.

beanpole wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:12 am If you were submitting an entry using guitar and vocal can the guitar play rhythm and a melody line/solo at the same time time as long as it uses the same amp settings?
I was under the impression one instrument can be used multiple times.

I had an idea to use one guitar for all parts, lead, rhythm along with a pitch shifter for bass. Guitar synth presets on GT-8 for pads. Taps on the pickup for percussion, maybe added to a sampler for drums.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:22 am
I was under the impression one instrument can be used multiple times.

I had an idea to use one guitar for all parts, lead, rhythm along with a pitch shifter for bass. Guitar synth presets on GT-8 for pads. Taps on the pickup for percussion, maybe added to a sampler for drums.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of one instrument?

For that matter, I could take a piano, or any instrument capable of playing either chords or single notes. Run i through certain kinds of processors that would all me to make this one instrument sound like...

Drums
Bass
Guitar
Organ
Sax
Violin
Sitar
Tuba
Banjo
Cello
Trumpet

And put together a whole band and make a song.

What's the point?

Might as well just make it a free for all and do whatever we like.

Why are people trying to get around the spirit of what it is we're supposed to be doing...using ONE instrument?

You sit down, you play your guitar or you play your piano or whatever instrument you play, sing and make your song.

That's the true spirit of what we're SUPPOSED to be doing.

Otherwise, what's the point?

Return to “Music Cafe”