Windows Update 2004 now available

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The update is not yet displayed automatically but if you search for updates manually.
Has anyone experienced problems with the update?

I installed it on my 2 computers from a USB stick I created with the Media Creation Tool yesterday. So far no problems. I probably have, once again, to install the Yamaha USB driver for my Steinberg interface though, just like on any of the big updates...

Edit: Nope, didn't have to reinstall the Yamaha USB driver this time. Seems like Yamaha/Steinberg fixed that in one of the recent updates of the driver. :)

chk071 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:56 am I installed it on my 2 computers from a USB stick I created with the Media Creation Tool yesterday. So far no problems. I probably have, once again, to install the Yamaha USB driver for my Steinberg interface though, just like on any of the big updates...

Edit: Nope, didn't have to reinstall the Yamaha USB driver this time. Seems like Yamaha/Steinberg fixed that in one of the recent updates of the driver. :)
Yes, that annoying bug with the USB driver (and I think it was also related to their UR tools). Would be good if the bug is fixed.
I read that Microsoft found 10 bugs... but they seem to be quite specific. Hmm...

Seems like it's a big one. I look forward to update, but I am in no rush. I'll wait until it shows automatically. I guess it's the safer option :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:55 am Seems like it's a big one. I look forward to update, but I am in no rush. I'll wait until it shows automatically. I guess it's the safer option :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSC8Zx8eh78
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Well... I'm sure there'll be lots of reports about bugs, once again, but, as usual, it's doubtful that those affect more than 0.1 % of the users. There's loads of beta testers, there's the insider program, which is also there to nail out bugs... don't think they can do much more than that. And, I've always updated on, like, day 1, and never had bigger issues. Some small ones, like settings being reset, in either Windows itself, or service applications for graphics or sound cards. Apart from that, no biggie really.

Guessing it's a phased roll-out - Just ran the 'check for updates' and I'm apparently still up to date. My memory could be deceiving me but I thought I'd read that after the calamity (well, reports of calamities!) of the last few 'major' updates, the new big updates won't be quite so major.

They already had to withdraw a release as it was so problematic.
Lots of peoples wifi was bricked among other heavy bugs.

Strangely this is what happended to me with a previous update I had no choice to download as I had to do a fresh install.
Im now wired in as they bricked my Win10 certified wifi dongle.

After 20 years I have too much 'esoteric' soft and hardware for MS to break, that currently works fine thanks.

And besides, I never notice any new features I apparently need.
As long my machine boots and runs my audio hardware and software Im happy.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

mcbpete wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:53 pm Guessing it's a phased roll-out
It is. As far as I know, you can't get it at all yet over Windows Update. You need to download the Media Creation Tool, and create a USB stick to install it. It will be available in Windows Update in the next few days.

They have held it back from the automatic updates as it breaks the nvidia and intel grphix drivers amongst other issues that microsott themselves discoverd so it still a biiig issue for us here at kvr.. they are working on a fix with the relevant manufacturers as I read on a tech blog today so no.. its a NO GO!! Microsoft themselves advised users to wait until the update is ready in the automatic updates and not to rush the installation of this update.. it just makes me wanna hold on to my windows 7 system juuuust a little longer.... for now... I cant understand how windows 10 updates are so botched up and when they are coercing the world to have to use windows 10 only like the microsoft tech guy told me over the phone today.. sometimes technology just makes humanity go regressive instead of moving forward...

surreal wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:12 pm They have held it back from the automatic updates as it breaks the nvidia and intel grphix drivers amongst other issues that microsott themselves discoverd so it still a biiig issue for us here at kvr..
Where did you read that? Actually, I just read that I'm wrong, and that they already roll the update out in Windows Update.

I have Nvidia and Intel graphics in my desktop and laptop computers, BTW. No problems here.

Edit: Do you mean this maybe? https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... -p/1421805 That's something completely different, and has nothing to do with the May update, or holding it back.

Hi Chk071

Herewith the info that I read today.. maybe Microsoft fixed In the meantime or just withdrew the driver update in the rollout.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... 418msgdesc

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display drivers drivers installed from being offered Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows Server, version 2004 until the driver has been updated.
That doesn't mean they pulled the update. There is a hardware check before the update, and, it simply won't offer the update or update if there's affected hardware and drivers on the client machine. In my case, I have two computers with Nvidia and Intel graphics hardware (updated on a third computer with Intel graphics as well), and the update installed fine in all cases.

Ok awesome!! Thanks for your feedback.. it gives me slightly more reassurance with my update then

Okay, I was brave and updated. Ilok reported an error during the installation, but works without problems. Everything else works without problems.

WSL2 works great also with X11. For people who need Linux on Windows very useful and now also better performing than WSL1

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”