VST Synth with inbuild reverb/delay etc (my experience)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First I was very much: "VST Synth doesn't really need own inbuild reverb etc since I can always use external fx". But now, after demoing some synths with very nice inbuild effects, I find myself looking/judging synths: "oh, this doesn't have inbuild reverb" or "oh this inbuild reverb is very bad"... I no longer think strongly: "But I can always add some extra effects" :lol:

I find that these inbuild FXs are so much easier to use when creating sounds. The FX is right there inside the synth. That makes the sound design very easy + fast since I don't need to tweak extra plugins etc. After all, the effects give so much soul for the sound. Naturally after the sound is getting near the "finished line", then it's quite easy to add some extra effects if needed.

Maybe I am just lazy :D

Some thoughts after trying out some demos: Serum has quite nice effects, also Ana2 (I still prefer Serum's interface of the effects). Union's reverb sounds a bit metallic/cold...

I like to send multiple parts of a mix to the same reverbs; it helps put them in the same space. Can't be done with inbuilt reverb.

imrae wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:13 am I like to send multiple parts of a mix to the same reverbs; it helps put them in the same space. Can't be done with inbuilt reverb.
Same here.

Some synths do indeed have very nice reverb which can be used as an integral part of the sound - typically for pads, but also sometimes for leads, when it's a short room reverb that provides some interesting character rather than is perceived as a reverb. But in most cases I use reverb as a send.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

One big thing about inbuilt fx for me is the modulation options. I really like having the ability to route envelopes, lfos, etc to the built-in effects. For example, having a polyphonic reverb or delay controlled by an envelope triggered by note-on messages would be a pain (or even impossible?) with an external effect, but it's easy with an internal effect.

Smapti wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:28 pm One big thing about inbuilt fx for me is the modulation options. I really like having the ability to route envelopes, lfos, etc to the built-in effects. For example, having a polyphonic reverb or delay controlled by an envelope triggered by note-on messages would be a pain (or even impossible?) with an external effect, but it's easy with an internal effect.
That is true! I am not very experienced sound designer, but noticed how easy it is to get some interesting modulations with inbuilt FXs.

It depends also on the DAW. In Bitwig you can store presets which contain any chain of devices and which can be modulated to any degree you can think of. I often skip the modulations within the plugins, as its so easy to do that with Bitwigs modulators. No, I don‘t need any built in fx... Usually I first have to get rid of reverb and modulations within most factory sounds. I want to play my vibratos instead of programming them...
That does not mean I would refuse to use the fx always, if they are there and fit...
If you can‘t save a device chain as preset, then of course, all fx which belong to the sound design process are better within the synth, to be able to recall them easily...

Take a close Look at the Sounds in the Uhe Synths, the ones by Joseph Hollo for Example. You´ll quickly find out that JH really "mixes" the Sounds in the Synth and that the Magic disappears when you change the FX Settings. Synthesis and FX are one and the same Thing in some Cases - and that is my Perspective in tht Topic today, too.

FX are a Syntheis Method on their own. You can take a shitty Sample and make it a mind blowing Monster. MSF for Example is imO the most interesting Development of the last Years - just because you have Tons of FX and full Controll from insides the Generators Structure.

Some Sounds "live" of their Reverb btw. They wouldn´t be without it.

Usually, I end up toning down the reverb or removing it altogether, to get a clean signal, to work on the reverb outside of the plugin to control the space a bit easier. Although, some presets really do work only due to the reverb, so if the plugin has reverb, you'll find some factory presets that are decently reverb dependant.
Take care :wink:

Return to “Instruments”