What to buy? Korg complete collection vs. nexus vs. Komplete update vs reason 12

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Title says it all. For around 300 bucks what can/should I get? Some sample libraries? The new Akai MPC One (yeah out of budget, but still)?
:help:

1. Nobody can answer that question. They don't know what you're going to use your purchase for.

2. Every response, except mine, is going to end up listing every synth and/or collection ever made. So at the end of the day, you still won't have a clue.

3. Being a 15 year member of this forum, you should know all this by now.

Good luck.

For £300 I'd opt for HALion.
Oh wait, I did!

Easy. Just a quick analyze of your question reveals the answer: Nexus.
You're welcome.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

If you are able to get your hands on Reason 12, I would go for that. :lol:
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't go Korg. I LOVE KORG, but even with latest updates, the bundle is quite overpriced. Half of the plugins have +10 years old audio engines. ARP and Triton are the only modern emulations. Komplete gives much more bang for buck.

Other than that, it's totally up to you.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

What type of music are you making?
What do you already have?
rsp
sound sculptist

Hard to define - I dabble in pop/world music. I have Omnisphere, Komplete 11 Ultimate, 8dio stuff.

Korg collection - mainly for triton because it's so easy to get "simple" sounds out of it. For quick sketches etc. Omnisphere is a behemoth. Korg is very light weight.

Nexus - demos sound dope. Really dope.

Komplete 12 - FOMO.

Reason - great FX that I can use in my DAW (Logic). But, I dunno I already have waves and a bunch of others. Don't know if I'd use it that much. The step sequencer looks very interesting though.

First thing is Komplete 12 update is about to go on sale I believe tomorrow (edit: best service may have jumped the gun and probably june 1st most likely), which may answer your question :). That said I think based on what you have said above maybe Massive X might be the only thing in there that may be really useful to you. but only you would know that.

Here is my biased view point on the options.

I like the Triton, but I like it when I am trying to do some old school hip hop/r&b stuff, but clearly modern synths put it to shame in terms of sound quality if you aren't deliberately trying to find an old school type sound.

Nexus... I have to up front admit that I have had issues with the developer and my N3 license was revoked for criticizing the product on kvr and reporting too many things that I considered issues, so take that as a possible bias if you want..... I would have said the same thing before though :). I think Nexus is really good at EDM type stuff, I never have found it useful in any other genre or I should say I have better options for other genres. That said I have two good friends who produce reggae and dancehall here in Jamaica and they still swear by it (which is how I bought N2 in the first place many moons ago).

Reason 12 to me is sort of what I said about the Triton...I want to get it cause I miss some of the old sounds I use to use in Reason 2.5 and 3, not to say they don't' have newer instruments and effects...

But it all depends on what you think you are lagging... Omnisphere is my desert Island synth, so with the possible exception of Massive X which you would get with a K12 update, or the effects you will get in Reason, I think it covers everything else you mention, Nexus, Korg (triton)

My very long two cents.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri May 29, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

What you didn't mention in your list, and to me is still a work in progress because it is a resource hog, is Avenger by Vengeance.... Firstly it sounds better than Nexus and a is a lot more flexible and as you are probably aware it is the same sound design team as Nexus...
I would imagine Omnisphere and Avenger would be a formidable duo.

So if I had a vote I would say K12 update when it is 50% off from tomorrow ($200?) and Avenger which is I think about $220 too. (wait a few till it goes on sale. usually around 30% off)..

unless of course you really really love the Triton sounds :)

rsp
sound sculptist

I haven't even explored K11 yet so I'm wondering if K12 is just going to be too overwhelming.

Oh and serum looks juicy..

watch some comparison for new ideas:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 1bZ_F-FInW

plus one comment: avenger is not a refx product, but the sound designer is the same, so if you are thinking on nexus, you should check avenger too - you can try the demo. In avenger you can save your own sounds and you can even create your own expansion banks.

I'll keep it simple.

IF you have the money; and IF you have a plan in place to use at least a good portion of it (you're not just collecting, which is easy to do :hihi:) going from K11U to K12UCE for about $300 amounts to a no-brainer imho - it's simply one of the best-value packages available right now during NI's SOS period for someone who already has K11U.

keyman_sam wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:52 pm Korg complete collection vs. nexus vs. Komplete update vs reason 12
Nexus = presets with limited tweaking possibilities
Korg = tons of ready to use sounds with full tweaks (m1 I love you)
Komplete = overkill if you haven't searched through your k11u
Reason = full daw but has tons of useful fun stuff to use in rack vst.

So IMO Korg if you're only after sounds, Reason if you're after sounds, fx, players.. Reason has radical piano, klang, pangea, humana built in. Not to forget Europa or very good granular synth Grain.

Oh, and stay away from serum. It's nfr straight when you buy it. Rather pick Pigments or wait for Matt Tytel to release his upcoming wavetable synth.

None! Keep saving for MPC One or something really would add something to your studio for years to come! That if you don't really really miss something!

I also have similar amount of money, but I'm saving it for either: Push 2 for my Live 10, or Yamaha MODX 6 synth or something else (MPC One is another good idea! ). I have spent some money now on Piano lessons and some kindle books (about $50).

The only thing I did is to buy Arturia VC 7 + OB xa before few days! If you don't have this and there is still the discount, then jump into it. Only CZ V, DX7 V, CMI V and Synclavier V worth the money of the whole collection, all others are bonus for me :D

Return to “Instruments”