Filter effect I really don't get (solved)

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Can anybody help me with this filter effect ? I simply don't understand how to remake this...

It starts nearly immediatly at the beginning, on the detuned saw lead, and sounds like a resonant filter that comes from nowhere...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB4lltiyT3U

I simply don't get it. It's not a low-pass, it's not a hi-pass, it's not a notch, it's not a bandpass... Maybe I could create some kind of resonance on a EQ, but it would sound like s#it, wouldn't it ?... Do you think two sounds are layered ? That's not what I think I'm hearing... Manual shifting phaser (wouldn't we hear some nasty resonance right from the beginning) ?

Any idea is welcome ! Thank you very much in advance ! :tu:
Last edited by DJErmac on Fri May 29, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Sounds just like a phaser to me, probably barber pole.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:18 pm Sounds just like a phaser to me, probably barber pole.
Thank you very much for your input, that's something I have, I'll try with this.

I think some of the oscillator effects in Zebra 2 can get something similar when they are modulated (I don't recall which ones).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Oh so the sound needs to be made with Zebra 2 in this case. OK thanks.

Na, it's just one option if you have it. MSoundFactory has some similar oscillator effects, WaveRazor can do its own thing. What do you have?

That song put a Beatles brainworm in my mind: "For the benefit of Mr. Kite, there will be a show tonight . . ."

Here I just tried it:
https://soundcloud.com/fritz-e-187664414/quick-attempt

In Zebra 2, I did two oscillators, one just for the base, the other with eleven voices (not sure if needed, but overkill is my MO). To this latter one, I added "Brilliance" and "Filter" as oscillator effects, and put them on the same LFO. I also put a low-pass filter (maybe notch filter would be better) in the effects section.

Maybe more resonance would get me closer, and I ought to do more to get the right saw sound of the song.

With any synth, you might want to add some white noise to it and see how a filter swoop with resonance affects that.

To me it sounds like a bell shaped filter like on any parametric eq. You could always try using a parallel bandpass (i.e. mixed in with the dry signal).

NAD wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:58 pm To me it sounds like a bell shaped filter like on any parametric eq. You could always try using a parallel bandpass (i.e. mixed in with the dry signal).
It's working, but something is off (I've tried a lot of different settings, no matter what I do, when hi frequencies are OK, lower frequencies are not).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mv8rQu ... sp=sharing

Thanks a lot anyway, it seems I can use this method, it's still working. :tu:

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:29 pm Na, it's just one option if you have it. MSoundFactory has some similar oscillator effects, WaveRazor can do its own thing. What do you have?
I have : Avenger, Rapid, Dune 1,2&3, Falcon, Sylenth1, Massive&X, Thorn, Icarus, ElectraX, Gladiator, Saurus, Synthmaster&One, Harmor, Lush101, Zebra2, Hive2, MSoundFactory, MPowersynth, Waverazor, Pigments2...
Dirtgrain wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:42 pm Here I just tried it:
https://soundcloud.com/fritz-e-187664414/quick-attempt

In Zebra 2, I did two oscillators, one just for the base, the other with eleven voices (not sure if needed, but overkill is my MO). To this latter one, I added "Brilliance" and "Filter" as oscillator effects, and put them on the same LFO. I also put a low-pass filter (maybe notch filter would be better) in the effects section.

Maybe more resonance would get me closer, and I ought to do more to get the right saw sound of the song.

With any synth, you might want to add some white noise to it and see how a filter swoop with resonance affects that.
Mmmm... Actually my purpose is to find what tricks make this filter effect so I can use it on my own sounds, I don't really need to recreate the original lead at all, any detuned saw lead can work. :wink:

Phaser simply doesn't work. There's no way I can avoid this nasty resonance at the beginning.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bUYJUM ... sp=sharing

Playing with dry/wet produces a nasty "void" effect during transition, it simply doesn't work, even if it sounds perfect when engaged.

OK here's my attempt.

Every synth will have it's own character so it'll never be 100% unless you use all the same sounds and effects but you can get close.
The lower saw is quieter than the higher and I only use 2 voices. To me that's what gives it it's sharp/metallic character.

Now the phaser doesn't do that much and again every phaser sounds very different and especially the amount of steps used and then all the other settings.

Anyway... enough rambling

https://vimeo.com/424113921
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Why isn't it a bandpass?
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

DJErmac wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:35 pm Phaser simply doesn't work.
The problem is that phasers all sound so damn different from each other. It's like with filters, no wonder when you consider how a phaser is working.

Actually, listening to it, I could imagine that it's a mixture of low pass filter and high pass as well. Or even 2 sounds layered on top of each other, one unfiltered, the other filtered with a bandpass or highpass filter. I don't know really. You could experiment with that.

Or even just a simple high pass.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Return to “Sound Design”