What to buy? Korg complete collection vs. nexus vs. Komplete update vs reason 12

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Absolutely no contest - K12. You'll get every sound you'll get from your other options and a lot more. After that, I'd forget about your other choices and go with omnisphere.

Klc = 20+years old synths
Nexus = edm presets pack with gui
Komplete update = what you already got
Reason = daw

It's like asking "should I drink orange juice or should I fly to LA?"

Zero sense.

Bippo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 am Klc = 20+years old synths
Nexus = edm presets pack with gui
Komplete update = what you already got
Reason = daw

It's like asking "should I drink orange juice or should I fly to LA?"

Zero sense.
Yeah, and there's that too.

Have you tried Reaper?

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:39 pm Have you tried Reaper?
Excuse me, can I tell you a little about Jes.. Reaper? :hihi:

I should’ve mentioned I already have reason 7 but it was gathering dust.

Or how about that waves ovox plugin? I was actually going to buy xfer nerve till logic came around with 10.5 which basically does the same thing. So that’s 200$ saved right there.

keyman_sam wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:09 pm I should’ve mentioned I already have reason 7 but it was gathering dust.

Or how about that waves ovox plugin? I was actually going to buy xfer nerve till logic came around with 10.5 which basically does the same thing. So that’s 200$ saved right there.
Here's what I want you to do, because you're all over the map.

Step 1 - Take stock of EVERYTHING that you already have. I mean EVERYTHING. List every plugin. Write down next to it what it does and what functionality it gives you. What does it allow you to do.

Step 2 - Ask yourself what you would like to be able to do that you currently CAN'T do or can't do as well as you would like.

For example. Lately, I've been unhappy with my vocals. Of course I don't sing very well so that doesn't help. But I asked myself, what can I get to enhance my vocals and maybe even modify them so that they sound better.

This IMMEDIATELY eliminated every synthesizer. A synth isn't going to do anything for my vocals. So now, I can spend my time looking at things that can be used for vocals like compressors, reverbs, vocoders, etc.

Then I looked at what I already had and eliminated those things from the list.

Ultimately, I came up with a few plugins that cost me all of about $100 and that was the end of it.

By using this system, I have spent about $170 on plugins this whole year.

Organize and discipline yourself. Otherwise, you're going to be all over the place and will probably get a whole lot of things that you don't really need.

mgw38 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:33 pm If you are able to get your hands on Reason 12, I would go for that. :lol:
This. Also, could you lend me your time travel machine for a few days?

ew
A spectral heretic...

Seriously, though - a lot of it is so much personal preference. The Komplete upgrade is nice if only for Massive X (and Kontakt 6 if you don't have it, of course).

The Korg collection - I upgraded my WAvestation (the only one of the legacy plugins I really use) during their recent sale - having a GUI big enough to actually work with is nice. And, Triton looks nice, but I'm not so sure how much I'd actually use it.

Reason - if you have a VST3 host, Reason 11 is pretty cool. Being able to use Reason as a plugin instead of via Rewire is much less of a hassle, and the MIDI out module does what it's supposed to do even if you can't use third party plugins in your rack if Reason's a plugin. By itself, the CPU efficiency is admirable, and of course as a standalone you can use third party plugins in your rack.

Nexus - I've never understood the buzz about it, TBH.

YMMV, of course.

ew
A spectral heretic...

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:35 pm
keyman_sam wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:09 pm I should’ve mentioned I already have reason 7 but it was gathering dust.

Here's what I want you to do, because you're all over the map.

Step 1 - Take stock of EVERYTHING that you already have. I mean EVERYTHING. List every plugin. Write down next to it what it does and what functionality it gives you. What does it allow you to do.

Step 2 - Ask yourself what you would like to be able to do that you currently CAN'T do or can't do as well as you would like.

For example. Lately, I've been unhappy with my vocals. Of course I don't sing very well so that doesn't help. But I asked myself, what can I get to enhance my vocals and maybe even modify them so that they sound better.

This IMMEDIATELY eliminated every synthesizer. A synth isn't going to do anything for my vocals. So now, I can spend my time looking at things that can be used for vocals like compressors, reverbs, vocoders, etc.

Then I looked at what I already had and eliminated those things from the list.

Ultimately, I came up with a few plugins that cost me all of about $100 and that was the end of it.

By using this system, I have spent about $170 on plugins this whole year.

Organize and discipline yourself. Otherwise, you're going to be all over the place and will probably get a whole lot of things that you don't really need.
Hah! If I did this I’d realize I don’t need anything else. Why would I rob myself the satisfaction of thinking I’m one plugin short of being productive/successful? Pfftt.

Honestly I don’t need anything else. I don’t *need* it (do any of us really? I mean logic has enough to make any kind of music possible).

The best bang for buck would be organizing my templates using sounds/fxchains/presets from previous projects. But the irrational thinker in me wants to spend some money and it’s leaning towards KLC just out of nostalgia.

Have anyone checked out the Korg legacy collection Demos? Just stunning..

Buy the KLC then! Why asking?!

EnGee wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:36 am None! Keep saving for MPC One or something really would add something to your studio for years to come! That if you don't really really miss something!

I also have similar amount of money, but I'm saving it for either: Push 2 for my Live 10, or Yamaha MODX 6 synth or something else (MPC One is another good idea! ). I have spent some money now on Piano lessons and some kindle books (about $50).

The only thing I did is to buy Arturia VC 7 + OB xa before few days! If you don't have this and there is still the discount, then jump into it. Only CZ V, DX7 V, CMI V and Synclavier V worth the money of the whole collection, all others are bonus for me :D
Good idea. I'm thinking of picking up MPC One for a Dawless setup. I'm more interested in the midi sequencer than the built-in sounds. Also, the integration with splice is attractive though I don't think you can browse anything. Hope I'm wrong..

keyman_sam wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:39 pm
EnGee wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:36 am None! Keep saving for MPC One or something really would add something to your studio for years to come! That if you don't really really miss something!

I also have similar amount of money, but I'm saving it for either: Push 2 for my Live 10, or Yamaha MODX 6 synth or something else (MPC One is another good idea! ). I have spent some money now on Piano lessons and some kindle books (about $50).

The only thing I did is to buy Arturia VC 7 + OB xa before few days! If you don't have this and there is still the discount, then jump into it. Only CZ V, DX7 V, CMI V and Synclavier V worth the money of the whole collection, all others are bonus for me :D
Good idea. I'm thinking of picking up MPC One for a Dawless setup. I'm more interested in the midi sequencer than the built-in sounds. Also, the integration with splice is attractive though I don't think you can browse anything. Hope I'm wrong..
You even entered this idea to my mind :mad:

But to be honest, even though I'm not really into EDM or Hip Hop, this looks fantastic! Without computer, might just plug in a hardware synth and you all set! But it is cool really to make beats on such device :D

Here is a looong review/tutorial for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRqmvFlg6QA

Return to “Instruments”