The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

risome wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:55 am The prices are about collecting not music making
There is one on eBay now for $6,000 and one for $1650.

No way to tell if anyone is interested because they want to make music with one or collect it.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yeah the prices are getting ridiculous since the fs1r is mentioned on aphex 's gear list ( syro album )
I always wanted one ( still do ) , almost got one in 2005 for the price of 400 euro..
The fs1r also has the an1x filters
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

risome wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:53 am
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:04 pm Well... formant synthesis as done by FS1R is a different pair of shoes. Also, FS1R has 8 voiced and 8 unvoiced operators, so it's not your usual FM box really.
It actually has 4 they are just stacked
Wrong, it's 8 stacked. I actually own one.

I was looking at FS1R's the other day thanks to Espen Kraft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul-V498IpbQ

Maybe Behringer will get around to making a clone at some point :hihi:

Teksonik wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:52 am
risome wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:55 am The prices are about collecting not music making
There is one on eBay now for $6,000 and one for $1650.

No way to tell if anyone is interested because they want to make music with one or collect it.... :shrug:
There will always be some kind of "collectors syndrome" in these prices, unfortunately. I have been considering getting one for some years now, but no way I will pay these prices. I had the opportunity to get one by less then 500 euros back then (it was like fifteen years go), but unfortunately I had no way to justify the expense to who was then my wife :(
Fernando (FMR)

dj ike wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:45 pm Late to the party...but how about slapping the orb formant filter at the end of an fm synth...never owned the fs1r but it could yield similar results. the orb is $49....the orb cm is freeware/magazineware version.
Use an FM synth that allows custom/drawable waveforms.
There are now loads of tutorials showing how to do FM formant synthesis in a number of different VSTi.

Sytrus is particularly suited for this as because its waveforms can be manupulated in the OSC additive editor
Amazon: why not use an alternative

FS1R enhanced VST plz take 2 now heres $
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

While I like such sounds to a certain extent, I think there is only so much use for them. And Yamaha should have thought of a better name. FS1R doesn't tell me anything and I will likely have forgotten the name by tomorrow 8)

Thread revived after 5 years! And the Yamaha FS1R still offers unique features...

Sound On Sound article: Formant Synthesis (2001), features the FS1R.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -synthesis

The article is by Gordon Reid (from the Synth Secrets Series fame)
https://www.soundonsound.com/synthesizers/synth-secrets

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:35 am FM formant synthesis
Here's an article on FM Formant synthesis:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~cc/vox/smac ... ho2013.pdf

It states...
Formant synthesis with FM is essentially contradictory to the physics. The harmonic nature of voiced sound allows only harmonic number ratios c ∈ N≥1 for the carrier. Where physical sound production is an excitation – resonance mechanism with independent tuning of both elements, FM models can only approximate the resonance frequencies of the latter when constrained to produce harmonic spectra. The inherent problem is that these approximations are discontinuous in frequency.
Manipulating the harmonic content of operators also introduces additive synthesis components into the equation. And filters intruduce subtractive synthesis. Actually just drawing/modulating wave shapes is another beast (somewhat impredictable and non linear too).

fmr wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 am There will always be some kind of "collectors syndrome" in these prices, unfortunately. I have been considering getting one for some years now, but no way I will pay these prices. I had the opportunity to get one by less then 500 euros back then (it was like fifteen years go), but unfortunately I had no way to justify the expense to who was then my wife :(
Rarity drives prices. A rare 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO which can't possibly compete with the performance of today's super cars sold at auction for $48 million. :o
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:35 am
dj ike wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:45 pm Late to the party...but how about slapping the orb formant filter at the end of an fm synth...never owned the fs1r but it could yield similar results. the orb is $49....the orb cm is freeware/magazineware version.
Use an FM synth that allows custom/drawable waveforms.
There are now loads of tutorials showing how to do FM formant synthesis in a number of different VSTi.

Sytrus is particularly suited for this as because its waveforms can be manupulated in the OSC additive editor
Has anyone successfully duplicated any of the FS1r's sounds using Sytrus ? I don't know I'm asking.... :shrug:

Anyway if a developer is looking to do another emulation I'd chose the FS1r or Ensoniq VFX for that matter over yet another old analog synth...... :tu:

Teksonik wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:55 pm

Has anyone successfully duplicated any of the FS1r's sounds using Sytrus ? I don't know I'm asking.... :shrug:
Hm, in dubstep genre synths like Sytrus are often used for vocal like sounds, but there is no specific functionality to make it good for formant synthesis, it's as good as any other "fm" synths for this (there should exist many algorithms for vocal-like sounds, for sure many synths have at least 1 preset as starting point, or not???). Formants are not harmonics, so such simple additive editor as this in Sytrus won't help you (you need additive editor that allows mistuning of harmonics and automating their frequency/mapping the changes to a macro knob, so you can morph between vowels for FS1R like pads etc). Tone 2 Nemesis supposedly has formant synthesis, if we believe what is written here: "https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nemesi ... re/details" (I haven't tried it)

Sytrus is short by 12 operators and a bunch of functionality from FS1R. But it definitely does cool things on its own.

Teksonik wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:29 am
GRUMP wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:46 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:09 pm FS1R's command very high prices on the second hand market and there must be a reason for that.I've looked into buying one. I see one is listed for $3,395 at e-bay now. That's just silly but another is a $355 but with 6 days left. Will be interesting to see what it's final selling price will be.......... :)
I´m glad to read that you are interested in Formant Synthesis. Really. May your FS1R inspire your Developments ;-)
Yes I was interested in an FS1r.......five and a half years ago when that post was made. :lol:

Things have changed just a bit since then...... :wink:

Not sure what you mean by "your developments"...... :shrug:
I have probably confound you.? Not Richard? Shame on me ... and I should definitely always look at the Dates... not the first Time :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”