Filter effects on an FM Synth (FM8)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys. I'm new to using FM synths and I just started using NI's FM8. There's a preset called 3 Osc Filter Sweep that I really like but I wanted to cut the sweep or the resonance down to make it a bit more tame. But I can't find a filter control page anywhere on there. Am I missing something or is this kind of thing done in a totally different way than on a subtractive synth?

TIA,
Dave
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Operator Z's your filter.

ew
A spectral heretic...

Ok, thanks, I'll check it out.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

In a pure FM synth there's no filter. You control brightness by changing modulation depth between modulators and carriers. But in the case of FM8 there's a filter, probably in the Z operator (I think there's a noise gen here too) like ew said, I don't have FM8.

xx JPRacer xx wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:40 pm In a pure FM synth there's no filter. You control brightness by changing modulation depth between modulators and carriers. But in the case of FM8 there's a filter, probably in the Z operator (I think there's a noise gen here too) like ew said, I don't have FM8.
For those who live on a dime....a poor man's FM8

Oxe FM (6 fm operators, 2 filters)
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/oxe-fm ... e-software

If you feel like giving it more or other waveshapes or add features: it's open source on Github.
https://github.com/oxesoft/oxefmsynth

Man! I received a notification that someone quoted me. I checked and didn't remember saying that recently.... july 2009, almost 11 years ago! Hey, I have FM8 now (Komplete)!

By the way: is FM8 still the best FM synth?
Or are there better alternatives?

I'm almost embarassed that I never tried out FM8 although I own it through Komplete. :o

I sometimes did and was all the time positively surprised.
But the small GUI (at least on my system) is not realy inviting.
I'll try again.
In principle I like FM sounds: often crisp and clear and not so dirty as this analog fad stuff.

I like some FM sounds as well. I was always a bit put off by the synthesis though. Not really my cup of tea, but, I'll give FM8 a try one day. I'm sure it's a cool synth.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:08 pm I'm almost embarassed that I never tried out FM8 although I own it through Komplete. :o
:smack:

I know. :(

vurt wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:24 pm
:smack:
The German has a nice word for this:
Zuchtmeister
Don't even try to pronounce it, you'll fail.

Arturia DX7 V has a resonant multimode filter in each of the 6 operators. The mod matrix allows to modulate the Cutoff and Resonance of the 6 filters.

Ableton Operator has a multimode filter with a "Clean" model and 4 analog filter models (created by Andrew Simper).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Scary thought that vurt could be my Zuchtmeister. :D

Great term by the way. Didn't know that one yet. :)

Return to “Instruments”