Negative Quantize

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any DAW, plugin, software that can do negative quantize? So that notes that are not on the 16th grid are not moved towards that grid, but moved even more away from that grid?

Audio or MIDI? :) For MIDI, it’s pretty easy to write a plugin in Logic that does just that (would just need to move the original MIDI data earlier by some amount to allow moving events earlier if necessary). For audio, hmm, no idea!

Thank you for your reply! For MIDI. Just wondered if something like this already exists.

Edit: misunderstood

Yes, Logic can do this.

masterhiggins wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:17 pm Edit: misunderstood

Yes, Logic can do this.
How so? You can only adjust Logic's quantize amount 'positively', no? Or do you mean by building a processor in the Scripter MIDI FX?

Similar to this? Not sure I understood because I'm not exactly sure of the purpose of moving notes already not perfectly on grid (like a human performance), further away from the grid.

If you move further away from 16th, wouldn't that be the same as quantizing to 32 or thirds ? ;)

Anyway, in Cubase's Logical Editor or in Groove Quantize you should be able to do this. Never tried tho.
More BPM please

Aren't we talking about "humanize"?
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:46 pm Is there any DAW, plugin, software that can do negative quantize? So that notes that are not on the 16th grid are not moved towards that grid, but moved even more away from that grid?
Why not with Midishaper? :wink:

Thank you for all your answers. Indeed, I do not want humanize or randomness or such, but simply increase the "errors" of some played patterns. Let's say with doubling the error:

If a note is 4 ticks away from the 16th note grid, then I want it to be 8 ticks away after processing. If a note is 7 ticks away from the 16th note grid, then I want it to be 14 ticks away after processing.

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago and came up with the idea of using exaggerated Quantize Maps. I use Logic so I used the 'Make Groove Template' option in the Region Inspector to make my Quantize map.

The top green line of notes is the regular 1/16 quantize map and the red notes are the exaggerated map. I pushed every other note ahead or behind. So odd numbered notes are pushed late by 100 ticks and the other notes are pushed back by 100 ticks and you can see the result.
Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 09.39.49.jpg
Obviously using the strength of your Quantize function will affect how far away from the bar beats you want to push them, but I'm not sure the maths is as fine-tuned as your desires. Despite that, and you probably realise this, it can't be done with real-time adjustment of incoming MIDI, I mean how do you trigger a note before it's happened? The kind of function you want would have to be built into the MIDI sequencer and run offline. I thought Logic's Transform could be coerced into this but nope. Not sure which DAW you use but it might be worth looking at your offline MIDI processing options if it has any.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maybe the Toybox Piano Roll for Reaktor?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuoEf4 ... 66A/videos

Return to “Effects”