Are MPE Controllers a fad ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Noumena wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:31 pm Not just curves but lag processing. Pressure needs to have separate attack and decay lag controls. Where I am able to implement and tune this kind of thing (Bitwig Grid) the instruments that I make are much, much more expressive and responsive.
Yes. Cypher2/Strobe2 both have the ‘slew’ parameter for each ‘expression curve’ and it’s exactly that, the ‘lag processor’.

But, the actual expression curve is much more important than the lag processor. In fact, lag processing affects expression in that it adds a further layer of ‘delay’. It detaches the immediate response of the finger on the playing surface, thus creating a sense of ‘latency’ for the underlying modulation. It has its uses, but often the sound is better without it. I know of one sound designer friend of mine who loves to use it on the Z-axis a lot.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I don't disagree about lag.... on *attack* but,

For pressure I feel that a lag of zero is best for attack/pressure increase, but a lag is required on decay/pressure decrease. The control (from Linnstrument and ROLI Rise) without that smoothing on the release/decay is just too jittery. I've been practicing for a year and cannot control my finger's release from the keys with the level of precision to keep this smooth.

If I remember properly on Cypher you don't have control of attack and decay individually. This does remove the immediacy, you're right. But smoothing just the decay doesn't... when mapping pressure to amplitude you can still have percussive attacks, and then with the decay smoothing you can fade out to zero.

Curves/attenuators are surely very important as well, I wouldn't say that they are not, but I am trying to vocally advocate for the release lag as much as possible because it works so well for the pressure->amplitude application.

I would also love the ability to have the synth (or some intermediary) process key-off so that instead of key off leaving pressure wherever it was on release, it would delay the note-off event and allow a decay envelope to happen on pressure and then note-off when it hits zero.

I wish I had a better way of describing this, but when you map pressure->amp, then release the pressure val sticks and you note-off. This makes having control over the decay really problematic.

Noumena wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:43 am I would also love the ability to have the synth (or some intermediary) process key-off so that instead of key off leaving pressure wherever it was on release, it would delay the note-off event and allow a decay envelope to happen on pressure and then note-off when it hits zero.

I wish I had a better way of describing this, but when you map pressure->amp, then release the pressure val sticks and you note-off. This makes having control over the decay really problematic.
It would be useful to have a function to have pressure follow the amp envelope release...

is this now thé MPE thread.
i have the roli seaboard block and the roli lightpad m. the latter arrived today (second hand, nice price, excellent condition), the seaboard, i have a few days, for a b-stock price, new.
the basics i have under control. and i am into sounddesign, so it is great.

question, if someone owns the unfiltered audio LION; the connect knob does not show a lightpad connected. tried it in multiple daw's.

i am a noob in the MPE world, going up!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”