Synth similar to Ana2's features?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Anyway I own both Dune 3 and Ana 2 and they are sufficiently different in character to justify owning both.

Ana 2 has full sample import and a superior Arp/Seq but in overall sound quality Dune 3 is far superior....in my opinion of course. :wink:
Actually ANA 2 probably has one of the worst Arp/Seq that I've tested. Not in terms of presentation but operation. For reasons that are beyond me it can only sequence 6 notes from any scale.
In that respect Dune 3 is superior even though Dune 3 operates in a tiny window making it uncomfortable and less intuitive than ANA2.

Parawave's Rapid did the Arp/Seq correctly.

That's because it's not a sequencer - it's an arpeggiator. I happen to like it that way because you can easily play variations by altering how many notes you hold down at once.

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:41 am That's because it's not a sequencer - it's an arpeggiator. I happen to like it that way because you can easily play variations by altering how many notes you hold down at once.
I know its an Arp silly :) I was just pointing out to Tek that if we call it a Arp/Sequencer it is inferior to Dune 3 not superior.

Kian Russell wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:20 am
Actually ANA 2 probably has one of the worst Arp/Seq that I've tested. Not in terms of presentation but operation.
I am including the CMD in ANA 2's Arp....

"Work CMD and ANA 2's arp together, for an incredibly powerful tool creating complex chords progression, insane arps with beautiful chord changes or the darkest of techno stabs with huge six note extended chords from the preset list. We think there is nothing out there in a synth to match the CMD / Arp combo and the world of possibilities it brings to the producer.". :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 pm
Kian Russell wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:20 am
Actually ANA 2 probably has one of the worst Arp/Seq that I've tested. Not in terms of presentation but operation.
I am including the CMD in ANA 2's Arp....
Yeah if the CMD is included it takes things to another level I completely agree.
Its like having a better looking version of xfer's cthulhu built right into a very capable Synth.
I wish more Synths would include the CMD because its very inspiring.
If only Sonic Academy had included just one more note row in the Arp that would have taken ANA2 into Heptatonic territory which would put the icing on the cake. Hexatonic can limit 1 fingered scale runs and such. Some developers include a modifier using a -1 and a +1 to get around the limit.

Why do you want arp with more than 6 notes?! Usually it is 3 or 4 notes, after all it is a chord! How many people are using 7 notes chords?!

EnGee wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 am Why do you want arp with more than 6 notes?! Usually it is 3 or 4 notes, after all it is a chord! How many people are using 7 notes chords?!
I wouldn't use it for chords, presumably that is what the CMD is for?
Just for sequencing a series of notes in a live context, a full diatonic riff for example, ascending/descending scale runs triggered by one finger.

The possibilities open up by a huge amount by adding that 1 extra note.
There is a grey area in the naming conventions regarding Arp/Sequencers which makes it difficult to judge what capabilities should be included and expected.
To be fair to SA they don't market ANA2 as a sequencer as such and as Tek pointed out the CMD Arp Combo makes it special.

Arpeggio is a broken chord. When you use arpeggios, you are using chords actually.

I don't see those possibilities with that 7th note! :hihi: My chords (and arpeggios) are mostly of three or four notes :shrug: A sequence is just a repetitive melody.

Deleted.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

EnGee wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:50 am Arpeggio is a broken chord. When you use arpeggios, you are using chords actually.

I don't see those possibilities with that 7th note! :hihi: My chords (and arpeggios) are mostly of three or four notes :shrug: A sequence is just a repetitive melody.
I know what an Arpeggiator is and how it functions in a conventional sense.
I also know what a broken chord is. :)
You are possibly misunderstanding what I mean?
You've owned a good few Vsti so I am sure you've seen how developers have built on the basic Arp idea. It is not uncommon for developers to add a basic sequencer to their Arp.
Off the top of my head I will list some Synths that have added basic sequencing abilities.
Usually they are named Arp/Sequencers.

Sylenth, Spire, Hive, Dune3 and Thorn for example all have basic sequencers that can be programmed to trigger a sequence over a set number of bars, nothing rad as such but it seems to work well enough.
They usually contain a fairly small interface that allows the end user to pre-program sequences that can be triggered with one finger and thankfully don't limit how many notes from a particular scale the user chooses.
Because of that some fairly good melodic riffs can be created without any limitation, so yeah when I say if Ana2 had included just one more note row it would have made a huge difference unless you are into pentatonic scales which use 5 notes - granted some amazing riffs and songs have been written in pentatonic as I am sure the same goes for hexatonic (6 note scales)
But I think its fair to say most users don't want to limit all their compositions or repetitive melodies :)

As far as Arps go ANA2 is very flexible indeed but as I said IF we are judging its Sequencing abilities it don't cut it imo due to the 6 note limitation, sure its been established the CMD can circumnavigate and in some ways go well beyond what most users could ever dream of but the CMD isn't a sequencer as such its a chord bank much like xfers cthulhu.

Funny, not long ago, you said you know it's an arp (silly). Yet, here you are, still thinking it's a sequencer.

It's not a sequencer. Get over it or make a feature request for an actual sequencer mode. Because if they make a change and add that seventh note to this mode, I fully expect you to complain how you've got to hold down seven notes to get it to function as the sequencer you claim to want.

I seriously wonder whether you've actually even tried to use as a melodic sequencer with that (apparently) missing note. Yer average melodic motif does not use all the steps of a diatonic scale (especially without the octave step).

Gamma-UT wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:34 pm Funny, not long ago, you said you know it's an arp (silly). Yet, here you are, still thinking it's a sequencer.
Don't be daft all your life Gamma-UT, stop making assumptions about what I know.

When someone says something like ANA2 has superior Arp/Sequencing abilities over Dune3 you'll understand why I will call it out - on the sequencing side of things in particular.
Gamma-UT wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:34 pm I seriously wonder whether you've actually even tried to use as a melodic sequencer with that (apparently) missing note. Yer average melodic motif does not use all the steps of a diatonic scale (especially without the octave step).
hehe I am so glad you don't make keyboards, imagine the shock when my order arrives from you with only 6 available notes to compose in.
Of course I would go for a refund to which no doubt you would say.
"Yer average melodic motif does not use all the steps of a diatonic scale"
lol
Its called choice Gamma-UT get over it man!

When you fail to comprehend even basic arguments, I think it’s pretty easy to make assumptions about what you know.

guys guys! Stop arguing and concentrate on me! :D

I have to say, I am sort of an arp purist = I feel I need to create my own arps note by note :D I don't know why, but I feel if the arp comes from a synth or something, it's not "mine". I know it's silly, and maybe I will learn to use arps from synths to easy my workflow (after all, usually the arps I create are very basic/easy/nothing very special) :D

Initial Audio Sektor
Phase Plant
Icarus 2

Return to “Instruments”