Cymbal [noisy VCV Rack]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJZw-fZ6To

A noise piece made with the VCV Rack software modular environment. Definitely not to everyone's taste. Keywords: harsh, noisy, uncomfortable, vurtronic

Btw, the recording is a composite made from two different runs of the same patch. A lot of post-production edits were made, primarily to amplitude gain. Also, no sampled sounds are used, the patch creates its world starting with a cymbal synthesis model on Xenakios's polyphonic version of the Braids module from Mutable Instruments, then throwing the Braids audio output to three heavily modulated Annuli resonators (aka MI's Rings) from the Southpole plugin. The sequenced material was created and played by Seq++ from the Squinky Labs plugin. A few more technical descriptions are at the YT link.

Comments are welcome, as always, though I emphasize again that it's not a melodic piece or in any other way an easy listen. Caveat auditor.

Best regards,

dp

I like it.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Nice sounding drone, lots of nuance and variation! Best regards! 💚

@crystalwizard - Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@anvilmesa - It is more pleasant than my awful description implied. :) It's certainly not as harsh a listen as some things I've done. Thanks for the replies here and on YT, much appreciated !!

8) that is lovely.
great work, one of my faves for sure :)

Brilliant, inspiring.

Very bowed metal. I relate to this immensely.

How costly is this ecosystem with these particular things plugged into, both in terms of $ and DSP?

jancivil wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:33 pm Brilliant, inspiring.

How costly is this ecosystem with these particular things plugged into, both in terms of $ and DSP?
dsp i cannot help with.
but price is free!
for the vcv programme and most of the modules, including the audible instruments stuff.
not sure about the particular modules here, but theres more than enough for anyone for free! :)

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:22 pm 8) that is lovely.
great work, one of my faves for sure :)
Thank you, John, that's very much appreciated.

Have you ever recorded something and had a clear impression of it, then after a while of not listening to it you revisit the recording and find that it's now not sounding anything like your former impression ? I thought this piece was more rough-sounding, much harsher than I hear it now.

Best regards,

dp

jancivil wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:33 pm Brilliant, inspiring.

Thank you, Jan. [blushing emoji here] :)
The Cymbals patch is made with free modules only. I've purchased many of the commercial plugins, lots of great stuff but I tend to use the freely available things, preferably those with source code. VCV Rack and the plugins are available as ready-to-run executables for all platforms, it's all very well-organized and well-maintained. Btw, Linux users typically build the stuff from source code.

In VCV Rack a plugin is a collection of modules. Might be one module in a plugin, might be a hundred.

VCV Rack wants some particular resources. It needs graphics support for OpenGL 2.0 or higher. The current version of VCV Rack supports multicore CPUs but in most cases you want the best single-core performance you can get. V2 should address the current list of CPU-related performance issues, though I've no idea when V2 will get here.

Big patches chew up screen space. A large display is helpful, ditto a multi-monitor setup.

So in terms of $$ :

OS - free
development tool chain - free
VCV Rack - free
Rack plugins - most free (as in beer) and/or free (as in freedom), some commercial (typically for not a lot of $$)

Other than the OpenGL version requirement I think any well-built audio-centric machine would work nicely with VCV Rack. YMMV, of course, according to your hardware and its configuration for audio production.

There's also a very helpful and inspiring community of users and developers, with a very active forum and FB groups.

Apologies for laboring any obvious points, just trying to hit the relevant ones. Incidentally, I had no background with modular synthesizers when I started using VCV Rack. The learning curve was time-consuming, but great fun too. A lot of new terminology, the whole control voltage model, lots of tools I'd never heard of, and of course, the greater problem of determining how I could use it productively as a composition environment. I'm still working on that last issue but I'm starting to know my way around the place.

Best regards,

dp

Yeah, my understanding is you want one core to be fast, but now you have to wonder about cooling. The machine I’ll probably buy has teh turbo boost, which w. the multicore uses I know from never kicks in.

There was a section just after 2 minutes in where I was reminded of the transporter system on the USS Enterprise (original series). I think you are right about using misleading descriptors here. I was expecting something quite ugly, but this certainly wasn't it. It was quite a pleasant listen. 4 or 5 times.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”