How far do you keep your Yamaha HS5/7/8 from the front wall?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With enough playing around and pointing down the best setup the HS7 should definitely perform nicely.
Take care :wink:

One of my HS8s is right in a corner and the bass booms compared with the other. I have them trimmed oppositely but it doesn't really help.
Might try partially covering the port to get parity.
Will be moving to another room when the lockdown eases. The problem will then hopefully go away.

consordini wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:29 pm With enough playing around and pointing down the best setup the HS7 should definitely perform nicely.
Yes, and it is the safest bet for me to go for HS7 instead of going HS8 first, since probability of returning HS8 is more considering my room size. Don't want to get into that. I think a little lack of bass is OK than hearing booms. I hope I will get a little bit extra low end on HS7 compared to my existing M-Audio BX5a. I am not able to find the frequency response graph of BX5a, unfortunately.

LE, Maybe hs7 would be somehow better than hs8 but i think it is a myth that an 8" woofer is "too big" for a small or lightly treated room.

Some kinds of speakers can be too big for nearfield monitoring, because the drivers arr too far apart for close listening. For example 12" 3 way jbl monitors you need to back off a few feet to hear all the drivers in context. Parallax errors.

But 8" is as good nearfield as 7". Just treat a small room as good feasible and use something like free excellent room eq wizard software to guide some gentle corrective eq. If you just cant adequately control boominess with treatment and speaker placement, just use an inline equalizer to gently tame it.

EQ cant work miracles but can help. Think about it if the po room sux so bad that anything bigger than a 4" speaker is too boomy, then you can eq an 8" speaker bass response til it performs like a 4" speaker and get the same result.

Good speakers last a long time so if you have a small room now then you move to a bigger room later, you dont have to sell the little speaker and buy a bigger speaker for the bigger room, if you bought the bigger speaker to begin with.

But nothin wrong with 7" or smaller. Assuming a 5, 6, or 7" speaker has comparable amps and the exact same model of tweeter as the 8" model, then if ypu later triamp with subwoofers, then the smaller monitors MIGHT give you cleaner mids in the tri amp system, with the sub taking most or all of the bass load.

But often the small monitors have lower power and tweeters are not always identical on all sizes of a model line.

Also midrange speakers are built different than woofers so there is no guarantee a 5" woofer would make clearer midrange than an 8" woofer. But possibly so.

Hs7 will do fine just dont worry that 8" is too big. Get 8" if thats what you want.

My room is "moderately" amateur treated and is only about 11.5 x 15 feet small but IMO sounds purt good. Nearfield listenimg 1 meter distance, 12" coaxial monitors (no parallax error with coax) and 18" sealed subwoofer. The speakers are not "too big" for the small treated EQ'd room.

There are a few old pages about it on my website that time forgot down in the signature. I meant to write more but did not so far.

Treating the office was fun learning experience. Am too lazy to do it again but IMO could do it better quicker cheaper second time around. :) Ought to write a page about it, what ideas seemed to work and what did not work.

Sturgeons law 90 percent of everything is crap. Applies to acoustic treatment advice. I kinda filtered out some of the crap via unsuccessful diy experiments.

But it is hopeless because Sturgeons law applies to me as well, At least 90 percent of my advice is probably crap as well. :)

Passing Bye wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:32 pm http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/
Thanks for the link. 38% rule option 1 is what I am following since the very beginning with my setup. I think it works well. The only problem or limitation for me is I cannot keep my monitors meters from the front wall, but I think it is not a real requirement as long as I can manage the bass.

JCJR wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:33 pm LE, Maybe hs7 would be somehow better than hs8 but i think it is a myth that an 8" woofer is "too big" for a small or lightly treated room.

But 8" is as good nearfield as 7". Just treat a small room as good feasible and use something like free excellent room eq wizard software to guide some gentle corrective eq. If you just cant adequately control boominess with treatment and speaker placement, just use an inline equalizer to gently tame it.

Good speakers last a long time so if you have a small room now then you move to a bigger room later, you dont have to sell the little speaker and buy a bigger speaker for the bigger room, if you bought the bigger speaker to begin with.

Hs7 will do fine just dont worry that 8" is too big. Get 8" if thats what you want.

My room is "moderately" amateur treated and is only about 11.5 x 15 feet small but IMO sounds purt good. Nearfield listenimg 1 meter distance, 12" coaxial monitors (no parallax error with coax) and 18" sealed subwoofer. The speakers are not "too big" for the small treated EQ'd room.
Thank you for your time and advice, I appreciate it. :)

I will not be moving to a new room ever, as it is my own house. So, everything can change but room. :)

Next, I am not going to add a subwoofer ever. I don't need it and don't have money for it.

These are the reasons why I thought to avoid the HS8:
- Room size (13 feet x 11.8 feet x 9 feet; smaller than yours)
- Price
- Weight and size

However, after reading your post I feel that HS8 might be worth considering. My low end will be secured permanently since I am not going for a sub.

But price and weight/size are still a bit of a constraint. I don't have professional speaker stands, so I am a little skeptical if my current wooden stands will hold HS8 well.

I will give some more thought on HS8 now, since acoustics wise I have a decent treatment in place in my studio room. :)

EDIT: Just measured my speaker stands top dimensions and they are indeed small by 3 inches for the depth for HS8. Should be OK, but HS8 seem like a monster!

Does Yamaha HS7 have enough bass?

I am on 5" monitors right now, so just want to ensure HS7 offers a little better bass response. With HS8 if I am anyway going to turn down the low shelf by -2 or -4 dB, I don't think it worth spending the extra.

I don't produce too much bass heavy music.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”