The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GRUMP wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:41 pm I have probably confound you.? Not Richard? Shame on me ... and I should definitely always look at the Dates... not the first Time :hihi:
No sadly I'm not Richard. I've got a million ideas if I only knew how to write code..... :D
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 pm
GRUMP wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:41 pm I have probably confound you.? Not Richard? Shame on me ... and I should definitely always look at the Dates... not the first Time :hihi:
No sadly I'm not Richard. I've got a million ideas if I only knew how to write code..... :D
Try "if - then". The Rest is Philosophy ;-)

I’ve never owned a FS1r, but what about Blue 2? It’s super capable. It doesn’t do formant synthesis, but it does have a formant filter.

https://www.robpapen.com/blue-features.html
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Go to rent-a-nerd.com and hire a coder :hihi:

zerocrossing wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 pm I’ve never owned a FS1r, but what about Blue 2?
What about? No!
Fernando (FMR)

Contralogic's Blarg had formant feautures, I vaguely remember it.

e-crooner wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:20 pm Contralogic's Blarg had formant feautures, I vaguely remember it.
So?...
Fernando (FMR)

So maybe it can make such Yamaha voice and choir sounds...

e-crooner wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:55 pm
Go to rent-a-nerd.com and hire a coder :hihi:
I couldn't even afford to pay someone to make one of those three line Airwindows plugins.... :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

stimresp wrote: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:07 pm I have an FS1r and have spent much time learning it. Still frustrating at times. No doubt it is an excellent instrument but, IMO you are much better off with current Software synths.

The Formant sequencing is a gimmicky and poorly implemented - though strangely the formant sequences are the only elements that can be synced to tempo. People often confuse the Formant Sequencing with Format Operators - two different concepts. Whereas the formant sequencing is implemented by mapping the voices to a pre-recorded harmonic 'fingerprint', the Formant operators are in themselves like little flexible minisynths that can be used as FM modulators and carriers. Essentially, they are band-passed oscillators with an adjustable bandwidth.

Don't get me wrong - they are unique, but they can be closely approximated in software. I have spent many hours with Formant charts trying to get voice approximations, but mostly end-up with breathy oohs and aaahs that could be done with a nice sample pack and a decent FX chain.

IMO the Yamaha FM envelopes are old hat - give me the far more flexible envelopes of most software FM synths, anyday. As well as multiple instances and custom algorithms.

Also, the raw sound of the FS1r isn't so amazing. The killer feature on the unit is the incredible FX section.
BTW I absolutely loathe the filter on the Fs1r. Fine for shaving-off the top end, but I find it brittle and weedy even at low resonance settings.

I'm keeping my Fs1r, purely because I've invested so much time in it. It does sound unique, but that's due to the outputs. Does it sound better? That's purely subjective. In honesty, I would say - yes it does. Does this justify the currently inflated price? Absolutely not.

However, for convenience, I have gravitated towards two synths: Rob Papen Blue II and Linplug Octopus. For FX, nothing beats Melda IMO (fanboi alert :P)

Octopus, to me, comes close to the raw Fs1r sound. What it has over Blue is that the filters can be used in the FM chain. But, overall, in terms of features, flexibility a speed of programming, Blue II smokes every other FM synth IMO - hardware included.

Best to try them all for yourself if you can. It's a matter of taste and how much time and effort you are prepared to invest.
Same story for me except I’ve sold it 15 years ago. Great on paper, great the 1st times you play those wonderful pads but difficult to eventually use them in context. And then you try to design your own sounds and just let down : too complicated ! No wonder why it’s not so « popular » in reality

SebAV wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:59 am Great on paper, great the 1st times you play those wonderful pads but difficult to eventually use them in context. And then you try to design your own sounds and just let down : too complicated ! No wonder why it’s not so « popular » in reality
Well, for something "not so « popular » in reality" it reaches insane prices in the second hand market, and rarely appears one for sale :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

Kwurqx wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:32 pm
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:35 am FM formant synthesis
Here's an article on FM Formant synthesis:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~cc/vox/smac ... ho2013.pdf
Here's an article on FM synthesis

https://www.musictech.net/guides/essent ... sis-works/
Amazon: why not use an alternative

stimresp wrote: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:07 pm I have an FS1r and have spent much time learning it. Still frustrating at times. No doubt it is an excellent instrument but, IMO you are much better off with current Software synths.
:tu: :clap:

I had a couple of FS1r's back in the day and although were OK at the time,things have moved on quite a bit since then...

Tiny screens on those one unit modules !

I used to have all of the best hardware synths,effects and consoles etc and these days the only hardware I own are the computers,audio interfaces,keyboards and controllers,plus a few preamps and compressors...

Well,I still like analog amps and effects for guitars...

It's funny when someone has a hit song and everyone looks at what gear the person was using and then starts dreaming that if only they had that piece of gear,then their musical dreams would be answered...

Well that's a pretty stupid situation to be in....

The person who had the hit would probably have had the hit despite the gear....if he didn't use that piece of gear, he would use something else and get a similar result...

Instead of looking at the external elements of the equation,isn't is better to look at the mindset of the person who created the hit and look at the process that was followed in order to get the result ?

That's where I'd look for the answers :wink:
No auto tune...

FS1R filters are exactly the same as in AN1x, which is generally regarded as one of the best sounding VAs of all time (despite the fact that it belongs to the very first generation of VAs - just shows how brilliantly well Yamaha did it back in the day!). Can't remember anyone classifying them as brittle or weedy. :lol:

Yamaha make great gear that stands the test of time :tu:

Fairly bulletproof too :wink:
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”