The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

digitalboytn wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:58 am
stimresp wrote: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:07 pm I have an FS1r and have spent much time learning it. Still frustrating at times. No doubt it is an excellent instrument but, IMO you are much better off with current Software synths.
:tu: :clap:

I had a couple of FS1r's back in the day and although were OK at the time,things have moved on quite a bit since then...

Tiny screens on those one unit modules !
Who cares about the tiny screens? That unit was meant to be programmed through software, IMO. I agree with those that say it is a very complex beats. It is. That's why it would be impossible to accomodate any kind of useful GUI even in a screen 4 times bigger.

So, we had instead great software editors that supported it (the same goes for the Kawai K5000, another very complex synth, that also went under the radar). I am always in the fence, and if I get a good enough deal I will get one, since apparently I cannot trust any developer to pick it and create a soft emulation.
Fernando (FMR)

I'm curious why Yamaha isn't doing a legacy synth VST collection like Roland or Korg are doing. There are some old Yamaha synth models that I would buy instantly if they were released as a VST similar (or hopefully better) than the Korg ones.

Yamaha doesn't seem to trust software. Their Ideascale project reaffirms there's a lot of demand for legacy emulators, but I suspect as long as their current hardware can load in DX7 sounds, they think all is well.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

fmr wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:41 pm
digitalboytn wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:58 am
stimresp wrote: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:07 pm I have an FS1r and have spent much time learning it. Still frustrating at times. No doubt it is an excellent instrument but, IMO you are much better off with current Software synths.
:tu: :clap:

I had a couple of FS1r's back in the day and although were OK at the time,things have moved on quite a bit since then...

Tiny screens on those one unit modules !
Who cares about the tiny screens? That unit was meant to be programmed through software, IMO. I agree with those that say it is a very complex beats. It is. That's why it would be impossible to accomodate any kind of useful GUI even in a screen 4 times bigger.

So, we had instead great software editors that supported it (the same goes for the Kawai K5000, another very complex synth, that also went under the radar). I am always in the fence, and if I get a good enough deal I will get one, since apparently I cannot trust any developer to pick it and create a soft emulation.
I had a K5000 and a couple of the rack versions as well...

But that is all history now....

Why do people want to keep going backwards ?

It must be all of the knobs and the flashing lights :wink:

That primeval feeling of material possession maybe ?
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:25 am
fmr wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:41 pm Who cares about the tiny screens? That unit was meant to be programmed through software, IMO. I agree with those that say it is a very complex beats. It is. That's why it would be impossible to accomodate any kind of useful GUI even in a screen 4 times bigger.

I had a K5000 and a couple of the rack versions as well...

But that is all history now....

Why do people want to keep going backwards ?

It must be all of the knobs and the flashing lights :wink:

That primeval feeling of material possession maybe ?
I don't, that's not the point. Regarding the K5000R, something like Alchemy could replace it, but we don'0t have Alchemy in Windows anymore. Now, I have Loom II from AIR, which may also replace it. So, I haven't used my K5000 since a long time.

But in what concerns my Yamaha SY99, I cannot replace it with a single soft synth - I need a combination of synths to do "kind of" the same sounds (the closest I got is with Rhino, which doesn't receive an update since a very long time). And there isn't a single one that presents the same characteristics of the FS1R.
Fernando (FMR)

Yamaha does offering software synths, you just have to buy their own "hardware computers" for using them! :D

It's really a shame, what Yamaha brought the last years. almost only workstations with reduced sequencers, because they want force their users to use Cubase. And always the same sounds again and again and their pathetic trials to imitate EDM and Dubstep VST sounds for their cover musicians fanbase. The FM synth in Montage seems to be good, but I would never pay 3.000 Euro for it.
Last edited by clipnotic on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nothing in software sounds like some of those old racks. That's why we keep them. :)

I sold my Yamaha hardware gear years ago and don't miss it. I had QY700, AN1x, RM1x, RS7000 and Motif XF. The AN1x sounds really good, but is horrible to program compared to VSTs and I don't have tracks, which absolutely would need that sounds.

The Hollow Sun (RIP) FS1R collection is the closest I am going to get: http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/products/FS1R/index.htm

Any DX7 emu is closer to an FS1R than a sampled version. Unless you are only interested in fixed presets...

Kind of agree with Tj Shredder there
The Hollow Sun samples are good, but seems there is nothing special to mark it as the FS1R. They sound just like a DX as well.
Probably one of the most pointless libraries I ever bought...

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:37 pm Any DX7 emu is closer to an FS1R than a sampled version. Unless you are only interested in fixed presets...
:tu:

Sampled synths sound dead and are a complete waste of valuable HD space :wink:
No auto tune...

fmr wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 pm I’ve never owned a FS1r, but what about Blue 2?
What about? No!
You kids are funny. Because something isn’t exact for you, it’s nothing like it, but the thread name wasn’t “what’s the exact emulation of the FS1r?” It’s what’s closest. No need to be jerky. The truth is, Blue 2 is pretty brilliant and it’s easy and fun to use, and anyone can own it. Have fun with your FS1r. I’ll see you in the Arturia FS1r V thread. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:49 am
fmr wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 pm I’ve never owned a FS1r, but what about Blue 2?
What about? No!
You kids are funny. Because something isn’t exact for you, it’s nothing like it, but the thread name wasn’t “what’s the exact emulation of the FS1r?” It’s what’s closest. No need to be jerky. The truth is, Blue 2 is pretty brilliant and it’s easy and fun to use, and anyone can own it. Have fun with your FS1r. I’ll see you in the Arturia FS1r V thread. :lol:
Don't misunderstand me. I am a big fan of Blue (and all Jon Ayres synths in general, since the times of Kubik. Actually, we even exchanged a few e-mails regarding a possible new synth based in Kubik but closer to Microwave, before Jon Ayres joined forces with Rob Papen.

But Blue 2, although a great synth (I own Blue since the very beginning), is not "closer" to FS1R than any other six operator FM synth.

I hope we'll see each other in the Arturia FS1R V thread too :wink:

That would mean we would have a real FS1R emulation :)
Fernando (FMR)

bnz wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 pm I'm curious why Yamaha isn't doing a legacy synth VST collection like Roland or Korg are doing. There are some old Yamaha synth models that I would buy instantly if they were released as a VST similar (or hopefully better) than the Korg ones.
Great point. Don't Yamaha own Steinberg? Why not get Steinberg to do some Emulations?

Return to “Instruments”