[Prog Rock] Prelude to War demos

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/synthermusic/set ... demos-2019

Some music that I've been working on recently made in FL Studio and various plugins including Ample Sound guitars (with Amplitube, not the preset amps), Modo Drum and Modo Bass, and Sampletank 4.

edit to address a couple things:
No vocals are added but I've written lyrics for all the songs sans Audistil (Which is a montage scene). The album is a progressive rock concept album about a couple of folks waging war against a man who creates giant robots to rule the world. The specific song descriptions on soundcloud give a vague idea what's happening in each song. Also, Desire is so long because it's actually a suite of songs that I've yet to bother to figure out how to seamlessly split in FL Studio.
Last edited by SyntherAugustus on Sun May 31, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Listened to some of them for a bit but why are they all so lenghty... except one that was 5 minutes they are all 10-15 minutes long. I think thats overdoing it a bit. Now I need to be honest, I also have a song thats 6+ minutes, so these things can happen but to have it happen on each song seems to me its something you do on purpose?
Thing is that sometimes people tend to lose their focus, specially when its mostly repetition. What I heared was not bad at all but just the length of the songs is something which worries me.
Heavenly Sounds Approved This.

Gave Xenith a listen. Well, let's see... there's some really good ideas in there, and in its current state, it's definitely crying out for some vocals, or at least an instrumental melodic element. Stylistically, it's a bit too "clean" for my taste, it could use a few shovels of dirt in the form of dissonance or unrulier sounds. Generally, it sounds too programmed and perfect, it's missing the "human element" (yes, Frank, I know...).
If that comes across as a bit too negative: I think it's well done for what it is, and it's got some of that Porcupine Tree vibe. Well done!

Thanks for a the feedback. I added an edit above to clarify a few things.
ariston wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:29 am Gave Xenith a listen. Well, let's see... there's some really good ideas in there, and in its current state, it's definitely crying out for some vocals, or at least an instrumental melodic element. Stylistically, it's a bit too "clean" for my taste, it could use a few shovels of dirt in the form of dissonance or unrulier sounds. Generally, it sounds too programmed and perfect, it's missing the "human element" (yes, Frank, I know...).
If that comes across as a bit too negative: I think it's well done for what it is, and it's got some of that Porcupine Tree vibe. Well done!
I have to figure out how to make the instruments sound a bit more human, either by figuring out the automation in Ample Sound or tweaking the midi. I'm not quite ready to explore that yet though.

I also need to figure out a way to approach vocals as I don't quite have singing experience. I did get a microphone recently though so maybe I'll experiment with that soon.

Xenith is a track not meant to be unruly but I can certainly tweak the end to make it sound more interesting. The later tracks certainly go there though.

Yaaaaay! I am gobsmacked! This is an awesome piece of music. It could do with some equally awesome vocals but, being a prog fan, I'm not put off by the length at all. This is what prog is all about - spacious perceptions and mood changes. Where the acoustic guitar plays near the beginning, I would like to hear some windy sounds or something (unless you are planning to have vocals here) Just something to add more interest to the waiting and build up. I love it when it first breaks into the lively part. I must admit, while the intro effects were playing, I was half expecting Robert Calvert to start reciting Moorcock poetry. :hihi: Great work! :tu: :tu: :tu:

The fact that its automated and quantised could actually form part of your robots narrative. I say go with that. If you want vocals, I would suggest it would progress things along for the listener, try recording vocoder lines, again that would fit the narrative.

Dont worry about it being long. People still listen to Wagner fcol, there is a place for this.
Find me on iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp etc.

Mozex wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:25 am Listened to some of them for a bit but why are they all so lenghty... except one that was 5 minutes they are all 10-15 minutes long. I think thats overdoing it a bit. Now I need to be honest, I also have a song thats 6+ minutes, so these things can happen but to have it happen on each song seems to me its something you do on purpose?
Thing is that sometimes people tend to lose their focus, specially when its mostly repetition. What I heared was not bad at all but just the length of the songs is something which worries me.
You've never sat and listened to a classical recital or heard a blues band jamming on the same riff for 45 minutes. :lol: Some people love long music.

The_Tired_Horizon wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:32 pm
Mozex wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:25 am Listened to some of them for a bit but why are they all so lenghty... except one that was 5 minutes they are all 10-15 minutes long. I think thats overdoing it a bit. Now I need to be honest, I also have a song thats 6+ minutes, so these things can happen but to have it happen on each song seems to me its something you do on purpose?
You've never sat and listened to a classical recital or heard a blues band jamming on the same riff for 45 minutes. :lol: Some people love long music.
It's classic prog. Yes albums, more often than not, contained only two tracks - one on each side.

Erisian wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:38 pm
The_Tired_Horizon wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:32 pm
It's classic prog. Yes albums, more often than not, contained only two tracks - one on each side.
Exactly! I grew up on Prog 8)

What a nice trip! Enjoy to much.

Return to “Music Cafe”